View Single Post
Old 27-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
TanKianW
Master Member

No lah, it's not bare metal like yours. Got other VMs running on it. And it is a mITX motherboard like yours and the sole PCI-e slot is taken up by the 4 x NICs so no GPU.

I don't have server rack also.

Just curious, why you went with so many different vendors instead of say all Mikrotik outfit or all Ubiquiti outfit which is more common in this forum? Like that, you need to learn and be conversant in everything - is Ruckus very different from the rest?
My decision to go server rack: wanted to optimize the available cabinet space. 3yrs ago before moving into the unit, always wanted to go with server rack when setting up my smart home. But along the way, with busy work schedule and new baby coming, resort to OTS devices and no-planning setup! Hope this time round, I can do a revamp!

Hope by sharing how I think about the different brand before I made the decision can provide you with some insight. Brand supporters please dun flame me.

Mikrotik:
Pros: Cheap 10Gbe switches, SwOS is also pretty straight forward. Reliability wise, it just works.
Cons: Don't like their ROS and GUI. Looks ancient. Documentations is not great. If you learning on your own, takes some time to learn the clunky interface and how things work.

Unifi:
Pros: Make good switches other than Netgear. Good APs too, good and simple, nothing more. Good pricing.
Cons: tries to sink you into the whole "Unifi" hole which I am not a fan of. Their UDM and USG is better than most consumer routers out there but compared to firewall/router of the same class, they are still quite far. Lots of on/off setting in their UDM/USG series but you will not know what is going on behind the scene and how they actually work. I will say give it a pass if you want pro features with greater flexibility. There are just much better solution out there.

pfsense:
Pros: Great documentation and community support. Proven reliability and versatility for both consumer and business needs. Stable updates. Fulfill basic needs if you are a novice user. I have been using pfsense since I started learning the basics of firewall, so with that experience, make it hard to switch.
Cons: You probably need to build one yourself. Do take time to understand and learn some of the functions if you are used to consumer routers.

Ruckus:
Pros: reliability, set and forget, proprietary antenna design which performs really well in "noisy" environment, require less APs in a similar environment as compared to other APs (based on experience). Stable firmware updates.
Cons: Expensive unless there is a sale. I managed to use the left-overs from one of my projects, so got it at a discount.

In the end when it comes to decision making I will choose reliability, cost, knowledge and experiences.

Last edited by TanKianW; 27-07-2020 at 11:03 AM..
TanKianW is offline   Reply With Quote