would you STI ETF or Unit Trust?

Nyan

Master Member
Reaction score
I was talking to my FA the other day and told him i was planning to invest my CPF OA into STI etf. I wont really need my money in the OA for at least 2 years. only planning to buy a property in 2 years time. So i'm thinking how can i maximize the OA and outperform the 2.5%.

My FA advise me for Unit trust as he feels that STI etf gains would be lower than a UT.

I tried searching the threads here but it seems that UT is something that people dont talk alot about here. Any people that's familiar with this, care to share any tips?

Oh ya, my allowance left in cpfis OA can only invest in UT and ETF. i've already bought stocks with it.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was talking to my FA the other day and told him i was planning to invest my CPF OA into STI etf. I wont really need my money in the OA for at least 2 years. only planning to buy a property in 2 years time. So i'm thinking how can i maximize the OA and outperform the 2.5%.

My FA advise me for Unit trust as he feels that STI etf gains would be lower than a UT.

I tried searching the threads here but it seems that UT is something that people dont talk alot about here. Any people that's familiar with this, care to share any tips?

Oh ya, my allowance left in cpfis OA can only invest in UT and ETF. i've already bought stocks with it.

Depends on which UT?

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If agent recommend unit trust for a 2-year investment horizon, dump him immediately. Is he tied to a particular insurer?

Official Aviva site says that the investment horizon for unit trusts is 5-years or longer:

https://www.aviva.com.sg/en/money-banter/2016/a-beginners-guide-to-investing-in-unit-trusts/

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If agent recommend unit trust for a 2-year investment horizon, dump him immediately. (unless he's from Aviva or Prudential - I'm vested in those insurers - so his earnings will help pay for my share dividends).

Official Aviva site says that the investment horizon for unit trusts is 5-years or longer:

https://www.aviva.com.sg/en/money-banter/2016/a-beginners-guide-to-investing-in-unit-trusts/

wutawa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U should post this in money mind. The people in ssi r more into quick money.

yumsang

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
STI ETF of course
Unit trust got how many has 好下场?

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Agree with Limster, 2 years is too short.
CPFIS OA only allow to invest in STI ETF and UT.
STI ETF is very slow.
UT depend on your risk, higher risk higher return, lower risk lower return.

If 2 years only, I go for stock, since now sg stock price is very low.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
STI ETF of course
Unit trust got how many has 好下场?

You pick this "STI ETF of course", result very good meh?

I was scam by my insurance agent to buy UT, starting at a loss. But after 20 years, I turn it to profit 200%

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I was scam by my insurance agent to buy UT, starting at a loss. But after 20 years, I turn it to profit 200%

Some people seem to have been brainwashed into thinking ETF is always better than unit trust.

Need to stop and think: a single country ETF that holds 30 stocks in a small country is somehow guaranteed better than a unit trust that invests in multiple countries with far bigger markets and market capitalisation?

As I've posted before, I'm vested in both STI ETF and unit trust in CPF. My China unit trust has become one of my biggest holdings because of capital gain....

:s13:

polyglob

Reaction score

200% profit after 20 years is 5.65% CAGR, assuming 1 lump sum invested at start and no further injection. Not bad, not fantastic.
Did it give dividends during those 20 years?

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Actually why so hiong ah? 2y not short or long and you need it to buy house.

Later if after 2 years got huge drop, then you don’t buy house?

Don’t have to max out investment on OA one ma.

Can always keep some to earn 2.5%

polyglob

Reaction score
Unless you are worth multiple millions and you didn't make those millions from investing, you don't need a paid FA.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
200% profit after 20 years is 5.65% CAGR, assuming 1 lump sum invested at start and no further injection. Not bad, not fantastic.
Did it give dividends during those 20 years?

No dividend, just pure capital gain.
It least I recover back my losses and make a profit out of it, I'm happy.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can share how much did you out into this UT?

At first 30k, price drop alot, I add in 15K, price still dropping I add another 15K.
Total 60K
Currently before covid 120k, during covid I switch out bond UT to EM UT.
Now already back to 120K.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
At first 30k, price drop alot, I add in 15K, price still dropping I add another 15K.
Total 60K
Currently before covid 120k, during covid I switch out bond UT to EM UT.
Now already back to 120K.

How is this 200%? Isn’t it just 100% profit?

U total cost is 60k, but current value is 120k right?

polyglob

Reaction score
How is this 200%? Isn’t it just 100% profit?

U total cost is 60k, but current value is 120k right?

Yeah that's 100% gain, which brings CAGR down to 3.53%.

Not saying bro Andrew did badly here, after all he made money.

Gambler.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
depends on which UT you choose actually.

I'm quite picky with my UTs and I'd choose those that have strong track record of outperforming their relevant bmks and peers.

otherwise just go for the ETF for that asset class/sector exposure you're after.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.