Renew COE for Mercedes C180 worth it?

chows99

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to seek advice especially from mercedes drivers who renewed the COE for B, C class.

As a Toyota allion owner, is the reliability for a older B or C180 comparable and how much more expensive are the parts for repair and replacement?

Thanks all for the advice!

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is voice down to the maintenance of the car by previous owner. Is always a luck thingy. Personally, unless you knew the previous owners, i would not take on any coe ride.
One of the common failure of B class is the steering rack. Last heard from my trusted workshop, even newer B class do have same problem with the steering rack problem.
You can try ask your trusted workshop.

Last edited:

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
don't bet on a 10-year-old of any European makes these days in 2020. If it turned out to good, consider yourself lucky. If it became a money pit, it's normal. :s13:

stylechap

Master Member
Reaction score
don't bet on a 10-year-old of any European makes these days in 2020. If it turned out to good, consider yourself lucky. If it became a money pit, it's normal. :s13:

Is hyundai tucson or forester the choice?

stylechap

Master Member
Reaction score
frankly speaking, i would choose that hyundai, of course not boosting the face value as much as the eurpoean brands.

Well.. They're doing so-called reverse engineering now.
Hopefully they'll improve from the original :s13:

But to stay on topic, buying renewed C180 is about same price as E200 or so..so might as well :o

Last edited:

elf108

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SGRV got one coe c180 tail gate out HDB parking one.smelly.
Image is cui.

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a daily driver, then probably no.

I guess among the major European brands, the three point star is relatively better than BMW or Audi. Wear and tear will be given. It is a case of how much are the spares and how frequently you want to go to WS.

sfugel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mercedes of today and that of about 30-35 years ago are miles apart. Those days most Mercedes are bulletproof. Their gearbox were made to last a lifetime with proper maintenance.

sktan10

Reaction score
frankly speaking, i would choose that hyundai, of course not boosting the face value as much as the eurpoean brands.

Face value?
I thought those coe renew Mercedes is in the price of 70k range?
Is the same price as a new attrage?
I think those who can buy attrage also can afford la! lol.....

NiTrOgEnZ

Reaction score
renewed C180 should be quite safe to get. only concern is when parts start to fail and requires replacement, it will be expensive.

Had thought about the C180, but ended up with a lexus IS250. drive feel is so much better, and i believe parts replacement will be cheaper than C180.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
renewed C180 should be quite safe to get. only concern is when parts start to fail and requires replacement, it will be expensive.

Had thought about the C180, but ended up with a lexus IS250. drive feel is so much better, and i believe parts replacement will be cheaper than C180.

Could less cheaper since a Jap brand, co share parts with those Toyota model. But significant difference in road tax.

NiTrOgEnZ

Reaction score
Yeah! Roadtax for is250 is a killer. But after driving it for a week, the quietness and comfort of the car is totally worth it. Sometimes I do not on any music, just to hear the sound of the V6 engine..

Stallone

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lexus parts do not co-share with toyota n are significantly more expensive

not joking

alantkm

Reaction score
Yeah! Roadtax for is250 is a killer. But after driving it for a week, the quietness and comfort of the car is totally worth it. Sometimes I do not on any music, just to hear the sound of the V6 engine..
From sgcarmart IS250 picture of the rear seat, the raised floor at the centre seem to be very high, almost to the level of the rear seat?

teddy_97

Master Member
Reaction score
C180 is actually a solid car. Seen so many renewed ones on the road. Generally can Google common faults. Like green key issue which is see heng suay one. $600 to repair. Also check the cam gear need replacement every 150k.

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For such old car, is250 will be more reliable. Need to pay high tax for a 2.5 liter engine.
Not just lexus quality, but a NA engine will last longer than a small turbo engine, you probably will experience the turbo failure in the next 10 years. A few thousand to change it

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
C180 is actually a solid car. Seen so many renewed ones on the road. Generally can Google common faults. Like green key issue which is see heng suay one. $600 to repair. Also check the cam gear need replacement every 150k.

I renewed my Merc E class COE.

and I've spent over $12k on changing wear and tear as my mileage is 130,000+ now. and I am still not done. I guess refreshing the parts as they need replacement will come out to a cost of $20k. It's not I want to change hor.. it's show symptoms, you go google cause and you go workshop change.

before renewal, i was driving the car without much problem.. for 10yrs.
That's why i thought renew is good.

On 2nd thought.. not worth the time and effort...

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I renewed my Merc E class COE.

and I've spent over $12k on changing wear and tear as my mileage is 130,000+ now. and I am still not done. I guess refreshing the parts as they need replacement will come out to a cost of $20k. It's not I want to change hor.. it's show symptoms, you go google cause and you go workshop change.

before renewal, i was driving the car without much problem.. for 10yrs.
That's why i thought renew is good.

On 2nd thought.. not worth the time and effort...

With that money, you can get a new Japanese car that is worry free for next few years.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.