Commission-free trading in Singapore finally!

Eneguy

Reaction score
Just received an email from TD Ameritrade, they'll be dropping commissions from 3 August. I have accounts in both IBKR and TDA, hopefully IBKR follows suit!

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just received an email from TD Ameritrade, they'll be dropping commissions from 3 August. I have accounts in both IBKR and TDA, hopefully IBKR follows suit!
There's nothing particularly exciting in this. Other U.S. brokers available to residents of Singapore, notably Firstrade Securities, have offered commission free trading on U.S. securities for quite some time.

There are at least two outstanding problems with these offers. First, these zero U.S. commission U.S. brokers don't offer low cost ways to start and finish with Singapore dollars in Singapore. Second, most residents of Singapore shouldn't be mucking with U.S. listed securities due to the tax considerations.

I should also mention that the brokers still make money even when the commissions they charge you are zero. For example, they keep any/all exchange rebates when you provide liquidity. Moreover, they are not necessarily obliged to route orders in the way(s) you would like them routed for the best price.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's nothing particularly exciting in this. Other U.S. brokers available to residents of Singapore, notably Firstrade Securities, have offered commission free trading on U.S. securities for quite some time.

There are at least two outstanding problems with these offers. First, these zero U.S. commission U.S. brokers don't offer low cost ways to start and finish with Singapore dollars in Singapore. Second, most residents of Singapore shouldn't be mucking with U.S. listed securities due to the tax considerations.

I should also mention that the brokers still make money even when the commissions they charge you are zero. For example, they keep any/all exchange rebates when you provide liquidity. Moreover, they are not necessarily obliged to route orders in the way(s) you would like them routed for the best price.

Is tax considerations such big of a deal that residents of Singapore should totally avoid us listed securities? Sounds a bit extreme though.

moolala

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What tax considerations are u referring to? As sg residents, there should be no tax unless ur talking about dividends but I don't think there's capital gain tax?

When the commissions is already zero, they can keep all rebates to themselves.

Eneguy

Reaction score

Hmm thanks for the info! I guess I'll stick to IBKR then. Regarding the order routing, does IBKR route orders better than TDA?

Is tax considerations such big of a deal that residents of Singapore should totally avoid us listed securities? Sounds a bit extreme though.

Agree with you on this. I try to maximise tax efficiency by having a bias towards stocks that don't pay dividends e.g. BRK.B, AMZN

What tax considerations are u referring to? As sg residents, there should be no tax unless ur talking about dividends but I don't think there's capital gain tax?

When the commissions is already zero, they can keep all rebates to themselves.

No capital gains tax, but yes dividend-withholding as well as estate taxes.

livingcharsiew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can fund with sgd if you have dbs account, they will probably use the bank spread of 0.7%.
maybe corporate account have better rate
https://www.tdameritrade.com.sg/why-td-ameritrade/account-types-and-funding.html

Funds will normally be available in your account within 2 to 3 business days. Please note that this is for DBS/POSB bank account holders only.

https://www.tdameritrade.com.sg/why-td-ameritrade/pricing.html
https://www.tdameritrade.com.sg/faqs.html
DBS/POSB Electronic Transfer:

Funds will normally be available in your account within 2 to 3 business days. Please note that this is for DBS/POSB bank account holders only.

withdrawal probably in usd
not sure if they charge for withdrawal to dbs but wire is $25 and dbs have incoming wire fee? not sure if its within the bank
https://www.tdameritrade.com.sg/faqs.html

Received this from TDA yesterday:

The investing and trading experience you know and love is getting even better. Starting 3 August, you'll also enjoy:

$0 commission on online stock trades
$0 commission on online ETF trades
$0 commission on online options trades
(Contract fees now only USD$0.70, plus no assignment or exercise fees.)

Applies to U.S. exchange-listed stocks, ETFs, and options.

The change to zero commissions comes with zero change to the level of service you've come to expect. You still get unlimited free access to our best-in-class trading platforms. Plus, you get knowledgeable local support and helpful educational resources. Who says you can't get something for nothing?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

U.S. dividend and U.S. estate taxes apply to most U.S. listed securities. Residents of Singapore (who are not U.S. persons) are non-favored and pay the 30% non-treaty dividend tax rate.

Regarding the order routing, does IBKR route orders better than TDA?
Yes.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U.S. dividend and U.S. estate taxes apply to most U.S. listed securities. Residents of Singapore (who are not U.S. persons) are non-favored and pay the 30% non-treaty dividend tax rate.

Yep but if dividend isn’t really that much of a concern because the counter either doesn’t pay dividend or pay very little dividend and is really about capital gains and also up to 60k is exempted from estate tax, not really an outright no, no?

moolala

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes.
I see, thanks, I buy stocks for the capital gain, dividend play is not my cup of tea

Yep but if dividend isn’t really that much of a concern because the counter either doesn’t pay dividend or pay very little dividend and is really about capital gains and also up to 60k is exempted from estate tax, not really an outright no, no?

Yup same as me. This rule has been in place for a long time. It's not broker specific at all

kumokumo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing is free in this world, have to find out what is the alternative they are using to cover this commission cost.

Mr. Wood

Banned
Reaction score
yah. same. moi concern is not too long ago TD say $0 not for non-US resident. now why they policy shift and more importantly how they make money?
via increase bid/ask spread? via dividend handling? :s22:

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing is free in this world, have to find out what is the alternative they are using to cover this commission cost.

yah. same. moi concern is not too long ago TD say $0 not for non-US resident. now why they policy shift and more importantly how they make money?
via increase bid/ask spread? via dividend handling? :s22:
It's been asked and answered many times in the US where the free trading trend started from. The earning mechanics are the same since TD is only allowing you to trade US for free so it makes sense why they can open it to non US residents too.
Realise how it isn't open to small markets like SGX?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/29/your-money/free-stock-trading.html

Last edited:

Assault

Master Member
Reaction score
Second, most residents of Singapore shouldn't be mucking with U.S. listed securities due to the tax considerations.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly. You're saying that 'most residents of Singapore' should not invest in 'US listed securities' - ie, any shares/bonds listed in the US? So, according to you, just stick to buying SGX-listed 'securities' on local exchange? Or is there something I'm not understanding right, despite re-reading what you wrote several times?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly. You're saying that 'most residents of Singapore' should not invest in 'US listed securities' - ie, any shares/bonds listed in the US?
Correct. There are a couple fairly rare, exotic exceptions. I could see how direct holding of U.S. Treasuries might be occasionally useful, for example.

So, according to you, just stick to buying SGX-listed 'securities' on local exchange?
That would be the implication of what I wrote if there were only two countries in the world with securities listings.

Or is there something I'm not understanding right, despite re-reading what you wrote several times?
There are many securities listed in the United Kingdom (London), for example.

housey

Reaction score
this is interesting

not sure why people believe there is free lunch in this world

any idea how they are making up for the $0 fees?

Embedded in the prices of stocks or annual AUM fees? Surely will earn from u, need to figure out from where or from when.

I considered foreign broker but I hear from here that taxation on assets with US based companies are different from those held with local firms and didn't proceed, at least for estate matters.

livingcharsiew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_us/resources/pdf/AMTD2054.pdf
ACNkKtm.png

they sell order flow
trade more more order to sell
no min com trade more can make up with volume

Last edited:

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Correct. There are a couple fairly rare, exotic exceptions. I could see how direct holding of U.S. Treasuries might be occasionally useful, for example.

That would be the implication of what I wrote if there were only two countries in the world with securities listings.

There are many securities listed in the United Kingdom (London), for example.

But if it’s below the threshold for estate tax and the dividend yield is very small, there’s nothing wrong with trading some us listed counters no? There isn’t a need to totally avoid.

It’s like balanced diet. Eating sweet stuff is ok, but not too sweet.

chrisloh65

Reaction score
If you use US-incorporated companies (like Interactive Brokers), you are subjected to US estate duty taxes.

Hmm thanks for the info! I guess I'll stick to IBKR then. Regarding the order routing, does IBKR route orders better than TDA?

Agree with you on this. I try to maximise tax efficiency by having a bias towards stocks that don't pay dividends e.g. BRK.B, AMZN

No capital gains tax, but yes dividend-withholding as well as estate taxes.

chrisloh65

Reaction score
My understanding is that most residents of Singapore should not use US-incorporated brokers (e.g. Interactive Brokers) because you can't run away from US estate duties for all cash and securities in custody with these US-incorporated brokers.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly. You're saying that 'most residents of Singapore' should not invest in 'US listed securities' - ie, any shares/bonds listed in the US? So, according to you, just stick to buying SGX-listed 'securities' on local exchange? Or is there something I'm not understanding right, despite re-reading what you wrote several times?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.