esim discussion

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
Wonder what's holding back the rest of telco of supporting eSIM? Cost of setting up, fear of losing customers?

For those on 2 years contract, I guess the fear should be minimal.

For those non contract SIM only plan, easy to lose also means easy to get as well.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
Wonder what's holding back the rest of telco of supporting eSIM? Cost of setting up, fear of losing customers?

For those on 2 years contract, I guess the fear should be minimal.

For those non contract SIM only plan, easy to lose also means easy to get as well.

they dun want you to sign up a main line on a minimum plan with them on esim, then at the same time you can sign up a secondary cheap data plan to be used on a physical sim like TPG $10 50GB plan.

like that you will be add on the extra data such as data X 2, data X 3 etc....

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
they dun want you to sign up a main line on a minimum plan with them on esim, then at the same time you can sign up a secondary cheap data plan to be used on a physical sim like TPG $10 50GB plan.

This also means they pay more for the phone due to the cheapest plan.

Sidler

Reaction score
esim good meh? Feel very inflexible. Change phone still need to contact telco to transfer. Still got service charge to swap right?

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
esim good meh? Feel very inflexible. Change phone still need to contact telco to transfer. Still got service charge to swap right?

Service charge depends on Telco. If non-M1 operators have eSIM, that cost will probably be reduced or eliminated outright. It's just a QR code sent via email, no reason for it to be chargeable tbh.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Honestly, it's probably more like main line in physical SIM, while secondary lines on eSIM.

Each phone can store multiple eSIM profiles which can be swapped on the fly, don't need to fumble with ejecting and potentially lose that nanoSIM...

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
eSIM is the only way for some phone models to have dual SIM. iPhone and Google pixel phone come to mind.

In future, if more models embark on this, then eSIM will be an important consideration for future subscribers.

And for overseas data card, able to buy online and inadvance without queue, eSIM will be very handy.

007Mi6

Reaction score
Think Singtel will come out eSIM very soon for iphone 12 as they have a new eSIM with China telco

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it's probably more like main line in physical SIM, while secondary lines on eSIM.

Each phone can store multiple eSIM profiles which can be swapped on the fly, don't need to fumble with ejecting and potentially lose that nanoSIM...

It is probably for future while every telcos in every countries have all these implemented. eSIM enabled devices is available since Apple Watch is firstly launched and since iPhone Xs. Again being an 'advance' country, not even the biggest two telcos have offered the eSIM yet. Same like since long people have been complaining no 5G on iPhone yet but even until now there is not even an 5G plan in lion city yet. Hardware is ready long ago but telcos are not even ready.

This is for many years to go at least. ESIM should still be best reserved for main line which you have control while physical sim is a wildcard that can fit anything. You have no control how soon the countries you are visiting will have eSIM ready.

and i dun think switching eSIM profiles will be totally free across telcos. i know there are charges involved to reactivate your eSIM profile. it is not as easy as "on the fly" until the charges are waived permanently by all telcos even it can be done in lion city but no one can guarantee all countries telcos will do the same too.

so for many many many years to come.
below scenario will then be flexible for anyone. below scenario has minimum physical card ejection needed too.

1) main line - eSIM (one no need to switch whatever profiles anytime until u change telco. same like u dun eject the physical sim out of ur main line unless u change telco or change phone too)
2) secondary line - physical SIM (no matter which country which telco the SIM is, it can work certainly and you only eject the physical card to swap when you visiting different countries)

Last edited:

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
It is probably for future while every telcos in every countries have all these implemented. eSIM enabled devices is available since Apple Watch is firstly launched and since iPhone Xs. Again being an 'advance' country, not even the biggest two telcos have offered the eSIM yet. Same like since long people have been complaining no 5G on iPhone yet but even until now there is not even an 5G plan in lion city yet. Hardware is ready long ago but telcos are not even ready.

This is for many years to go at least. ESIM should still be best reserved for main line which you have control while physical sim is a wildcard that can fit anything. You have no control how soon the countries you are visiting will have eSIM ready.

and i dun think switching eSIM profiles will be totally free across telcos. i know there are charges involved to reactivate your eSIM profile. it is not as easy as "on the fly" until the charges are waived permanently by all telcos even it can be done in lion city but no one can guarantee all countries telcos will do the same too.

so for many many many years to come.
below scenario will then be flexible for anyone. below scenario has minimum physical card ejection needed too.

1) main line - eSIM (one no need to switch whatever profiles anytime until u change telco. same like u dun eject the physical sim out of ur main line unless u change telco or change phone too)
2) secondary line - physical SIM (no matter which country which telco the SIM is, it can work certainly and you only eject the physical card to swap when you visiting different countries)
I will thought it's the opposite. For biz traveller profile, office SIM card as you will unlikely to change since it's office line.

ESIM for travelling purpose. I can buy before my trip and no need to queue to scan passport and make payment.

I think there's a few eSIM vendor that offer data roaming to most countries.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
I will thought it's the opposite. For biz traveller profile, office SIM card as you will unlikely to change since it's office line.

ESIM for travelling purpose. I can buy before my trip and no need to queue to scan passport and make payment.

certainly not. i already explained the reasons why it is not above.

like i said, not all countries all telcos have esim. physical sim is a safer bet. reserve the physical sim slot to uncertainties is a better move now.
if most thinks the way u said, there will not be so many people asking for red and green telcos to offer esim already, people know what are the best options to them.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Actually my thinking is the same.

Not only physical SIM gives you a piece of mind if anything goes haywire on your main phone, requiring you to put in secondary handset to get at least the basics running, it also gives you flexibility to change device whenever needed.

Meanwhile, eSIM is for easy switching. People can have multiple plans to switch between without removing the sim card, adding more data to their existing pool. For overseas, if the operator(s) support eSIM, can add that into the phone and you're good to go, that's as long as you've internet connection. If the country doesn't support eSIM, there's probably alternatives like Airalo and Ubigi that provides solutions. It's not as cheap, but it's still an option.
Oh, if eligible for M1 Corporate Individual Scheme, can always get M1 Enterprise Mobile plans. Bundled with a few GB of roaming data per month, and excess rate of $5.35/GB, good for those business people. 75 countries included isn't a small list, doubt many will go to countries that aren't in the list anyway for business and leisure. M1 supports eSIM anyway, so it's yet another profile that you can switch to if needed.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually my thinking is the same.

Not only physical SIM gives you a piece of mind if anything goes haywire on your main phone, requiring you to put in secondary handset to get at least the basics running, it also gives you flexibility to change device whenever needed.

Meanwhile, eSIM is for easy switching. People can have multiple plans to switch between without removing the sim card, adding more data to their existing pool. For overseas, if the operator(s) support eSIM, can add that into the phone and you're good to go, that's as long as you've internet connection. If the country doesn't support eSIM, there's probably alternatives like Airalo and Ubigi that provides solutions. It's not as cheap, but it's still an option.
Oh, if eligible for M1 Corporate Individual Scheme, can always get M1 Enterprise Mobile plans. Bundled with a few GB of roaming data per month, and excess rate of $5.35/GB, good for those business people. 75 countries included isn't a small list, doubt many will go to countries that aren't in the list anyway for business and leisure. M1 supports eSIM anyway, so it's yet another profile that you can switch to if needed.

i would think otherwise, when one needs to change device for main line, just swap the SIM card to another phone and can use it straightaway, nothing difficult. physical SIM card failure rate is always zero too. people are dealing with this at all time especially for iphone that does not even come with dual sim at all previously.

esim swap device still requires reactivation. it may causes hiccup in between.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i would think otherwise, when one needs to change device for main line, just swap the SIM card to another phone and can use it straightaway, nothing difficult. physical SIM card failure rate is always zero too. people are dealing with this at all time especially for iphone that does not even come with dual sim at all previously.

esim swap device still requires reactivation. it may causes hiccup in between.

What do you mean by reactivation? iMessage/Facetime activation?

Yes, as you said, change device just swap sim and go. If it's eSIM, you still have t contact carrier and request for new QR to be generated, be it via the telco app or email. Charges may apply too.

Plus, eSIM device must be compatible with the network too, so it's also another problem that users have to face. Physical SIM most phone have still, and is typically compatible as long as you buy in the country. Basically plug and play.

Last edited:

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by reactivation? iMessage/Facetime activation?

Yes, as you said, change device just swap sim and go. If it's eSIM, you still have t contact carrier and request for new QR to be generated, be it via the telco app or email. Charges may apply too.

Plus, eSIM device must be compatible with the network too, so it's also another problem that users have to face. Physical SIM most phone have still, and is typically compatible as long as you buy in the country. Basically plug and play.

reactivation = scan the OR again and add mobile plan.

you need to do it everytime u change device too. see the steps for a iPhone user to transfer esim to a new iphone. it is certainly not as straightforward as swapping a physical sim to another phone and use it straightaway, hassle free.

one can ask himself, how often u will change ur main line mobile plan? most people will likely to stick to it for years like at least two years if u have mobile contract with telco. pretty much within this two years u will never even change it to another phone. this is why esim for main line is good.

how often u will probably need to change second sim if u visit different countries within the two years? probably a few time a year?

one is one time for very long time, one is few times a year probably depending on how often u go overseas. most importantly, if u need to JB tmr for example, can u confirm that you can get hold of a esim the local telco there to use immediately? impossible. likely u cannot confirm if esim is even available there. for your info, in lion city, some telcos have esim but only for POSTPAID and not prepaid, if u are foreigner, u are unlikely to get a esim in a foreign too. i believe this should be the same for a lot of other countries.

would u rather deal with uncertainties like this or u would rather reserve ur physical sim card slot for overseas prepaid physical sim card use? the answer should be obvious.

i dun see a logic why some are saying the other ways round.

u go to all red and green telcos website, u can see many many are asking for esim, and this is for this reason. if the logic of using esim as secondary works for them, people will not even ask for it.

and yes, if u are iphone users, u need to reactivate ur facetime and imessage too, and it costs $$ to reactivate for certain telcos too. since it is main line, why one needs to go thru the hassle of this. why the prepaid sim card u get from overseas, u will never need to enable facetime or imessage for the numbers.

Last edited:

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
A lot of my office people asking Singtel to offer eSIM is not as what you describe (maybe true in your context) but there's another aspect.

Our office are issued with iPhone with Singtel SIM. They want to avoid carry 2 phones as their personal line with either Singtel or Starhub.

To get dual SIM feature on iPhone, one has to be eSIM. So end up, a lot went to M1 after their contract end simply to get eSIM to enable dual SIM on office iphone.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.