What to do with faulty 1080 Ti ?

sthguonk

Reaction score
Warranty expired. Fans do not spin and there is no display signal.

Was purchased from a stranger afew months ago in seemingly working condition, was a huge gamble; I know. I wanna give the benefit of the doubt to them and assume that the card just died under normal circumstances. I hope they didn't just oven / heat-gun it back into working condition temporarily prior to the sale.

What should I do?

Is there anywhere I can sell the card to to recuperate some of its value?

Thanks.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If it was working for a few months, then just bad luck the card died. Suggest you disassemble and check for burnt parts. If none, you can try the heatgun/oven method.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Was purchased from a stranger afew months ago in seemingly working condition, was a huge gamble; I know. I wanna give the benefit of the doubt to them and assume that the card just died under normal circumstances. I hope they didn't just oven / heat-gun it back into working condition temporarily prior to the sale.

What should I do?

Thanks.

throw away lor.. :(

Last edited:

hafiz116

Reaction score
A big shame if it cant be revived! From what I've seen the heat gun success rate is very low but worth a try,....

Northernray

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you wanna try the heat gun method, you need a proper square shield to shield other components around the graphic chip to avoid overheating those small SMD resistor, diode, capacitor etc...

Don't bother with the scam oven method, it will only damaged the card beyond repair. Reasons are simple and technically supported. For solid (polymer) capacitor, the temperature rating is -55c to 125c, will 125c enough to melt the solder balls and magically reconnect broken (if any) link of the graphic chip? What about the plastic connector for the 6/8 pins and fan? Wouldn't these melted at above 250c?

Hell no, right? Why would people buy into such bogus claim about reviving a motherboard or graphic card using an oven operating above 250c?

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Probably used as a mining card. Turned on 24/7. And now, after short burst of GPU usage, can kill the board. :(

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you wanna try the heat gun method, you need a proper square shield to shield other components around the graphic chip to avoid overheating those small SMD resistor, diode, capacitor etc...

Don't bother with the scam oven method, it will only damaged the card beyond repair. Reasons are simple and technically supported. For solid (polymer) capacitor, the temperature rating is -55c to 125c, will 125c enough to melt the solder balls and magically reconnect broken (if any) link of the graphic chip? What about the plastic connector for the 6/8 pins and fan? Wouldn't these melted at above 250c?

Hell no, right? Why would people buy into such bogus claim about reviving a motherboard or graphic card using an oven operating above 250c?

Lol

Fg6wRpX.png

As you said, will 125c enough to melt the solder balls? You're right, it isn't. That's why in the reflow oven the temperature is higher than that. ;)

Here's the chart for polymer in case you want to use that
rxgOyB6.png

Last edited:

Northernray

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol

Fg6wRpX.png

As you said, will 125c enough to melt the solder balls? You're right, it isn't. That's why in the reflow oven the temperature is higher than that. ;)

Here's the chart for polymer in case you want to use that
rxgOyB6.png

You are talking about reflow, why don't you place a graphic card inside the oven at 250c for 3-5 minutes and show me how many such SMD capacitors popped.

WEET-WPA-WPB-2.5V-25V-DCSMD-Radial-Surface-mount-SMD-type-and-Radial-lead-Polymer-Aluminum-Solid-Electrolytic-Capacitors.jpg

Reflow is entirely different from baking it inside an oven hoping for the graphic chip to re-bond broken solder ball without considering other components max. temperature before failure. You can tell me the copper pins will not melted and the metalk bracket won't deform either.

I also know female give birth to baby and not male.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If no choice, just salvage the cooler and see if you can sell it. Sometimes others with the same model may have a faulty fan, and may buy from you.

To be honest, that is the risk of buying second hand product and especially when it is out of warranty.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just came across someone on Carousell trying to sell a spoilt GTX 1080Ti for $340. :s22: At least, the seller is honest :s13:

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What should I do?

Thanks.

what model issit? Might be interested to upgrade my gpu hsf

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what model issit? Might be interested to upgrade my gpu hsf

Generally unless it is a matching graphic card, it may not work on your graphic card due to the difference in layout on the PCB.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.