Need Recommendation

evoram

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,thank you in advance as i would like some recommendation... so this is my current setup.
I am using a Netear Orbi RBK40. The router in db box and one satellite in Master room. Right now i have pretty good signal around the home except for bedroom 3 where my desktop is. My desktop is currently wired lan back to router. But my laptops face signal drops when i close the door. Like work application actually loads slower or the laptop shows no wifi at times.

Am looking to invest in wifi 6.
Should i upgrade to orbi 852? Would that solve the signal drops? or do i need to get one router and 2 satellites meaning rbk853. I am also thinking if i should change to an all asus setup using the ai mesh. bedroom 2 is tenant room, so i cant place any satellite there.
Have plans to get a NAS and leave it in the store where there is also a lan point.
Has anyone here used rbk852?

3di8OMz.png

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
Hi guys, so this is my current setup.
I am using a Netear Orbi RBK40. The router in db box and one satellite in Master room. Right now i have pretty good signal around the home except for bedroom 3 where my desktop is. My desktop is currently wired lan back to router. But my laptops face signal drops when i close the door. Like work application actually loads slower or the laptop shows no wifi at times.

Should i upgrade to orbi 852? Would that solve the signal drops? or do i need to get one router and 2 satellites? I am also thinking if i should change to an all asus setup using the ai mesh. bedroom 2 is tenant room, so i cant place any satellite there.
Have plans to get a NAS and leave it in the store where there is also a lan point.

3di8OMz.png

1. You can do a test by moving the main orbi out of the DB box and see if this helps to improve your wifi speed in Room 3.

2. Add another Orbi RBK40 satellite in room 3.

3. get a Xiaomi AX router (if you can okey with chinese) as a AP in Room 3 (cheapest option).

- than all device in room 3 will connect to this AP.
- Configure the router (can be any brand don't need to be xiaomi) as AP/bridge mode (default usually router mode).

Halo green

Banned
Reaction score
my flat layout is similar to yours. Currently using Orbi rbk50. No issues with signals or speed.
Get another rbs50

Last edited:

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,thank you in advance as i would like some recommendation... so this is my current setup.

Should i upgrade to orbi 852? Would that solve the signal drops? or do i need to get one router and 2 satellites meaning rbk853. I am also thinking if i should change to an all asus setup using the ai mesh. bedroom 2 is tenant room, so i cant place any satellite there.
Has anyone here used rbk852?

3di8OMz.png

I assume your house is 4 room as it's layout is pretty similar to mine.

Anyway currently i am also using the Orbi RBK50 like others here and i am getting approx 500+ Mbps at my furthest room on 5Ghz. What i can recommend is instead of leaving your router in the DB box, plug the lan cable from your ONT to the port that connects to your living room, leave your router there and shift the satellite nearer to your MBR door if there is a power outlet there.

However can check why can't you leave your satellite in bedroom 2 even though there is tenant there? Because it will be a win-win solution for both since can get good internet speed and just need to remind them not to turn off the satellite :s12:

evoram

Master Member
Reaction score
I assume your house is 4 room as it's layout is pretty similar to mine.

Anyway currently i am also using the Orbi RBK50 like others here and i am getting approx 500+ Mbps at my furthest room on 5Ghz. What i can recommend is instead of leaving your router in the DB box, plug the lan cable from your ONT to the port that connects to your living room, leave your router there and shift the satellite nearer to your MBR door if there is a power outlet there.

However can check why can't you leave your satellite in bedroom 2 even though there is tenant there? Because it will be a win-win solution for both since can get good internet speed and just need to remind them not to turn off the satellite :s12:

We dont want to leave anything of ours in the tenant room. Just for peace of mind so i cant blame the tenant if anything happens to it. But thank you for the suggestion

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.