Secure your Router - DIR-868L

iduncheckmail

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually, since 868 is a dual band router, if use wireless backhual (5ghz), then aren't the client devices are limited to 2.4ghz (50~100mbps) ?
If there is wired backhual, then why not just simply set same ssid and use them as APs in all the rooms?
For mesh to work as intended, need to have triband router with a lack of ability to connect wired backhual. That is the ideal use case.

But nonetheless, nice tutorial to upcycle old free routers.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mayb u try to remove ur n14u. Let dir868l be the router instead as processor better.

I did use 868L as main router previously but it had intermittent connectivity issues. Not sure was it dlink firmware or ddwrt firmware. On the other hand, the asus router from 2012 has been solid without any dropped connections. The single core cpu seems to handle everything just fine, I can torrent without affecting connectivity of other devices

nC2avxY.png

Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually, since 868 is a dual band router, if use wireless backhual (5ghz), then aren't the client devices are limited to 2.4ghz (50~100mbps) ?
If there is wired backhual, then why not just simply set same ssid and use them as APs in all the rooms?
For mesh to work as intended, need to have triband router with a lack of ability to connect wired backhual. That is the ideal use case.

But nonetheless, nice tutorial to upcycle old free routers.

using wireless as backhaul the speed seems to be limited to 12mbps for 868L

ah_cleo

Master Member
Reaction score
I would suggest u try since now u are on "asus firmware".

Might be better

BananaRain

Reaction score
other than mac-address modification on the cfe template.

U may try to mod the following as well:
0:ccode=AU
1:ccode=AU

1:maxp5ga0=0x6E, 0x6E, 0x6E, 0x6E
1:maxp5ga1=0x6E, 0x6E, 0x6E, 0x6E
1:maxp5ga2=0x6E, 0x6E, 0x6E, 0x6E

Today itchy hand configured this dlink as a wireless bridge with the additional power mod. The download speed(rely on main router) no change around 400mbps.

Found this **** upload speed hit 650mbps. Feels mind-blowed.😂😂

If u not scared of radiation or burn down the chip. feel free to set higher😂😂

dispicable

Reaction score
thanks for the info ! i just tried this and now my 868L keep getting rebooted , anyway for me to save it ?

edit : im at after step 7 where i need to restart into CFE mini web server

Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info ! i just tried this and now my 868L keep getting rebooted , anyway for me to save it ?

edit : im at after step 7 where i need to restart into CFE mini web server

power off. press and hold wps and reset and power on. hold the 2 buttons for 20 seconds then let go of wps then reset button. it should blink every second = recovery mode

set custom ip address for ethernet on your pc 192.168.1.2 gateway address as 192.168.1.1plug in to port 2,3,4 the asus page will load. if it doesnt you are not following instructions

dispicable

Reaction score
yeah i tried that but the wan LED keep going off and power LED was never turn on except during initial power on

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah i tried that but the wan LED keep going off and power LED was never turn on except during initial power on

read properly again. you dont need to think if you dont understand. just follow instructions

BananaRain

Reaction score
Ya, follow what yusoff said, try few more times. (with patience)

i also repeat a few times of router resetting before it gets stable.

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
hello, for DIR868L on Firmware Version : 1.21SHC.
for Enable Multicast Streams & Enable IPv6 Multicast Streams , should either or both be enabled?
i resetted my router & now i dont remember the previous setting & searching on the web does not bring much details except a lot of technical discussion.
thanks much.

BananaRain

Reaction score
i think last time i only set one enable multicast stream. Leave it these empty ur connection somehow not working issit? Starhub now got ipv6? 😆

These kind of default Dlink settings just try it out, wont kill the router one. Remember one at a time will do. Dont be greedy unless u know what u are doing.

hello, for DIR868L on Firmware Version : 1.21SHC.
for Enable Multicast Streams & Enable IPv6 Multicast Streams , should either or both be enabled?
i resetted my router & now i dont remember the previous setting & searching on the web does not bring much details except a lot of technical discussion.
thanks much.

ABuNeNe

Banned
Reaction score
Which version of firmware u flash and did u upload the new cfe alr?

Tried all the firmware provided as highlighted below. Believe have uploaded the new cfe else I shouldn't see the ASUSTek - CFE miniWeb Server page. Is there anyway to upload again?

1T7HZhO.jpg

BananaRain

Reaction score
Think u are in good progress already.Try again with the Fw Ac66.... original one given in this post. Dont use the latest 385. The steps are given very clearly. Just need to do it with patience. Wait till it gets stable by itself, it will restart by its own. At least this is how i get it done.

Tried all the firmware provided as highlighted below. Believe have uploaded the new cfe else I shouldn't see the ASUSTek - CFE miniWeb Server page. Is there anyway to upload again?

1T7HZhO.jpg

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to share a bit, the mesh function is quite good imo, in the toilet I can see that the handphone switches to the node. One way to test your mesh got switch over or not is to connect a desktop or laptop to the main router, go into 192.168.1.1 and make sure node = 0, then use the speedtest app on the handphone, run it in front of the main router and then walk to your dead spots in the house (within 5-10secs), you will see the speedtest graph is like a valley, down then up (when at the dead spot), leave the phone at the dead spot, go back to main router and you will see the node =1 now. have fun playing with it :)

enjoy watching videos in the toilet :)

under wireless professional should also adjust roaming assistant to disconnect clients lower than -55 dBm. This way your handphone will always connect to stronger signal

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.