Lenovo laptop running hot

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I want to know if my 6 yr old lenovo laptop thermal pad can be replaced with new thermal paste. Its been running hot recently and i think its due to the heatsink and paste dried up or something.

SLS ppl can help to replace the thermal paste?

tszkitc

Reaction score
I want to know if my 6 yr old lenovo laptop thermal pad can be replaced with new thermal paste. Its been running hot recently and i think its due to the heatsink and paste dried up or something.

SLS ppl can help to replace the thermal paste?

Yes. At second floor. There are few shops doing this. Cost about $30.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This can easily be performed by yourself. You have already opened up the base, so its a matter of removing the 6 screws holding down the heatpipe to your CPU and GPU, and the cooler should be free to remove.

Then you should also try to clean the fans. They look dusty, and not unexpected after 6 years of usage.

ckctam

Reaction score
Not as easy. Need rubbing alcohol to wipe the previous paste away. Then buy thermal paste and apply it.

It is not hard. But if you are not comfortable with it, better get someone else to do it for you. Considering it cost $30, that's not too bad.

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm i'm not comfortable doing it myself. scared mess up. if cannot boot up. jiak lut la. maybe next week i go down sls.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not as easy. Need rubbing alcohol to wipe the previous paste away. Then buy thermal paste and apply it.

I don't get it. How does wiping old thermal compound and repasting make it not as easy? You don't need alcohol to remove dried thermal compound.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm i'm not comfortable doing it myself. scared mess up. if cannot boot up. jiak lut la. maybe next week i go down sls.

It is down to your confidence level. I am just letting you know that it is a simple process, though you will need to spend money to buy thermal compound.

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is down to your confidence level. I am just letting you know that it is a simple process, though you will need to spend money to buy thermal compound.

how much is thermal compound. any different?

wyssn11

Reaction score
Victim:s13:

dahyt2.jpg

Nail polish insulate (1st coat)

dajHnS.jpg

Nail polish insulate (2nd coat)

dajJM7.jpg

Pea drop Liquid Metal

dajdP9.jpg

Spread ah Spread :o

daj3Fe.jpg

USBThumbDrive

Reaction score
Victim:s13:

Pea drop Liquid Metal

Spread ah Spread :o

This laptop seems familar :s13::s13:

Is there much difference in the temperature compared to stock paste / self applied liquid metal ?

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
replacing thermal compound is idiot proof. even without experience can do.

ckctam

Reaction score
stock thermal paste tends to be low quality.

I used Thermal Grizzly for my XPS and it made a big diff. It never goes above 85 even when I OC the GPU.

wyssn11

Reaction score
This laptop seems familar :s13::s13:

Is there much difference in the temperature compared to stock paste / self applied liquid metal ?

This particular LM need some time to cure for best results.

initial temp difference after application is between 7 to 8 degrees

The stock thermal paste from lenovo is already very good (Shinetesu 7921)

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
replacing thermal compound is idiot proof. even without experience can do.

I think it depends on the manufacturer. I recall there were couple of instances where I open the laptop, and then I close it back because it was too troublesome to get to the heatsink. :s13:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

dajJM7.jpg

Silly question, will any nail polish do the job? I am not talking about the color of the nail polish:s13:, rather is there any specific brand that is tested, or just any cheapo nail polish will do the trick too?

Anyway, I read that when you apply liquid metal to bare copper (i.e. the heatpipe in this case), you will need to apply it a second time. Source below, mentioned at around 13 mins into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aLH0Q6CZF4

Last edited:

wyssn11

Reaction score
Silly question, will any nail polish do the job? I am not talking about the color of the nail polish:s13:, rather is there any specific brand that is tested, or just any cheapo nail polish will do the trick too?

Anyway, I read that when you apply liquid metal to bare copper (i.e. the heatpipe in this case), you will need to apply it a second time. Source below, mentioned at around 13 mins into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aLH0Q6CZF4

The purpose is to insulate, using nail polish is just a matter of convenience.

Just make sure the nail polish is not electrically conductive some nail polish do contain some metallic looking dust, these are not recommended.

To apply a second time on the bare copper HS is subjective , depends on the type of LM used.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.