Singtel HG8244H change to Bridge Mode

acme

Master Member
Reaction score
Btw, anyone know the username and password for the huawei ONR? Tried all the credential posted in hwz thread also cant go in :s13:

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
Seriously, SingTel should let users have a choice if they want to set the ONR to ONT mode by adding an option in the web based user settings page.

If they need to troubleshot, just reset to ONR etc.

They can still do their troubleshooting while those who preferred ONT will be happy as well.

Not that difficult to do, SingTel!

asianguy

Reaction score
Would this method work if i am using Singtel AC Elite router ?
I read from previous post that it doesn't work for Singtel AC Plus router.
Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would this method work if i am using Singtel AC Elite router ?
I read from previous post that it doesn't work for Singtel AC Plus router.
Thanks

No it does not work.

BTW, the ONR is supposedly a more expensive equipment and belongs to SingTel, you have to return to SingTel once you decide to leave SingTel, at least as per the terms and conditions.

AC Plus is a low end router and it belongs to you.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw, anyone know the username and password for the huawei ONR? Tried all the credential posted in hwz thread also cant go in :s13:

Are you using the Huawei ONR? If yes, model number and HW/FW revision?

Take note there is now Nokia G240 ONR as well, like the user tuntun.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/support/broadband/routers-ont

List of currently supported Singtel issued equipment for Fibre broadband

Router
Singtel Mesh Routers
AC Plus
AC Elite (AC1900)
Aztech DSL7003GRV(AC)
Aztech DSL 7009GR(AC)

Optical Network Terminals (ONT)
ALU ONT
Ericsson ONT
ZTE ONT

Optical Network Router (ONR)
Huawei HG8244H ONR
Huawei HG8240T5 ONR
Nokia G240 ONR

Last edited:

tuntun

Reaction score
my friend house was installed today with EchoLife HG8240T5. anyone know the method to access? it comes with singtel TV svc. Singtel Mesh router was connected to Port 1 and TV box to port2 ...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my friend house was installed today with EchoLife HG8240T5. anyone know the method to access? it comes with singtel TV svc. Singtel Mesh router was connected to Port 1 and TV box to port2 ...

Try the post before in this thread. On the other hand, better talk to SingTel to get it done officially by SingTel now that you have the successful experiences in doing that -- which means you have the convincing power.

Hi

Anyone aware of the username and password for Singtel ONR HG8240T5? Appreciate the help.

Many thanks

Have you tried
username: support
password: last 10 characters of the ONR's Serial but on reverse e.g. if Router Serial is 1234567890ABCDEF then the password is FEDCBA0987

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try the post before in this thread. On the other hand, better talk to SingTel to get it done officially by SingTel now that you have the successful experiences in doing that -- which means you have the convincing power.

Latest success story in Huawei ONR bridging, and confirmation that Nokia ONR can not be bridged by SingTel as of now.

Now that SingTel seems to be pretty accommodating to the ONR bridge request, it is better to go through the official channel and talk to SingTel to do that.

BTW, the good thing is that bridged port does not need VLAN.

From AX88U thread.

I just had Singtel bridged my ONR recently.

My original model was the EL HG8244H which has the guide in HWZ to bridge it. But did not really work. So I relied on my M1 connection.

Recently contacted ST to have the ONR bridge at their side. And after some persuasion, they agreed.

Singtel backend tried to push down the bridge configuration but also did not work.

In the end they send a field tech down and change the ONR to the EL HG8240T5. The field tech said the HG8244H does not support the bridge mode.

First set of HG8240T5 was bricked during the backend bridge firmware push. The field tech had to replace a 2nd unit which was pushed successfully.

So one reason why Singtel do not want to do the bridge mode thing is that it might brick the ONR. The field tech said they can only setup the bridge this way, cannot bridge the HG8240T5 before brining it down.

Singtel backend and the field Tech both said the Nokia ONR does not support bridge mode as Nokia did not provide the way to do it to Singtel.

And my Asus wireless router now works as wireless router instead of AP (can see WAN IP).

And I got a pleasant surprise gift from the bridging as well (cannot say what it is).

I can cancel my M1 fibre when contracts end now. :)

Last edited:

jtdcjtdc

Reaction score
hi. whizcomms issued me HG8240T. they didn't provide wifi router so i used an existing old one i have. i noticed the WAN IP is only on the huawei, and my router is just given some 192.168.10.x IP.
so it'd be better to configure it as bridge right, so my router gets the WAN IP?

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi. whizcomms issued me HG8240T. they didn't provide wifi router so i used an existing old one i have. i noticed the WAN IP is only on the huawei, and my router is just given some 192.168.10.x IP.
so it'd be better to configure it as bridge right, so my router gets the WAN IP?

If the WAN IP is on router. The router should just be configure as bridge or AP mode.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For Whizcomms, you should have requested them to bridge the ONR before installation if you want to use your own router as the main router (to get the WAN address). It is free that way and NO justifications needed, unlike SingTel.

You can still call Whizcomms if you want the ONR bridged to see if they can do that for you for free or not.

If you want to live with the ONR, then you may want to configure your own router in AP mode to avoud Double NAT.

Ref: Double NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

jtdcjtdc

Reaction score
thank you for the responses. actually, which has the superior routing capability, is it the HG8240T5 or my old Asus RT-N56U? currently the asus is in router mode, so the huawei is just sitting pretty serving only one IP address. the asus takes the work of serving wifi and a gigabit LAN (to another gigabit router as AP mode wired to my room).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank you for the responses. actually, which has the superior routing capability, is it the HG8240T5 or my old Asus RT-N56U? currently the asus is in router mode, so the huawei is just sitting pretty serving only one IP address. the asus takes the work of serving wifi and a gigabit LAN (to another gigabit router as AP mode wired to my room).

So currently you are having double NAT and no issues with that, right? You can choose to live with it. Double NAT has no impact to normal internet browsing.

By switching to bridged ONR (one port ONT mode for Whizcomms, SingTel can be more complicated), you can fully utilize the features of your main router, say when you upgrade your old RT-N56U to a better one with many features.

Neither the ONR or your RT-N56U will have superior routing capability but both can be used. ONR is more limited in FW features though. For example simple things like DNS server change and LAN IP address change may not be possible.

ONR has an advantage if you needed to put a router in the DB box. Wireless router will suffer severe degradation in terms of wireless performance. It also give you more LAN ports.

Last edited:

jtdcjtdc

Reaction score
thanks... the HG8240T5 setup on me here allows to change LAN IP address (and its DHCP, which can also set primary & secondary DNS). i had the router going to my room be directly connected to it, so i don't have double NAT (compared to the asus, devices connecting to it get double NAT).

the only thing bugging me on this setup (AP mode, without double NAT) is that i cannot ping the other devices in this same network. the devices who connect to the asus router (router mode, double NAT), do not have this problem.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks... the HG8240T5 setup on me here allows to change LAN IP address (and its DHCP, which can also set primary & secondary DNS). i had the router going to my room be directly connected to it, so i don't have double NAT (compared to the asus, devices connecting to it get double NAT).

the only thing bugging me on this setup (AP mode, without double NAT) is that i cannot ping the other devices in this same network. the devices who connect to the asus router (router mode, double NAT), do not have this problem.

Good that Whizcomms allow you to change the DNS server setting. Nevertheless the ONR is still the main router.

If you configure the Asus as an AP correctly (no DHCP, static address, say 192.168.1.2), you have only one network and you should be able to ping the device on the network. Every device will get an internal IP address as 192.168.1.x as the ONR acts as the sole DHCP server, no matter it is connected to the ONR or the Asus AP (wired or wireless). So something is not right in your setup. Maybe you forget to disable the DHCP server of the Asus.

When you configure the Asus as a router (say 192.168.2.1), you have double NAT. Then device connected to the ONR (192.168.1.x) will not be able to see the device connected to the Asus (192.168.1.x), and vice versa.

But if all your devices are connected to the Asus, then it is okay to use it in router mode and allow double NAT.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ONR (DHCP) ----> Linksys (AP mode) ---> devices : cannot ping each other
|
L----> Asus (Router mode) ---> devices : can ping each other.

Here simply : 2 routers (Linksys and Asus), connected to the ONR (acting as router mode which was the default Whizcomms setup), one port each.

The devices connected to Linksys gets the same LAN segment network given by the ONR's DHCP, but CANNOT ping each other. It looks something in the ONR preventing them to see each other, but I can't see any setting aside from firewall (Disabled, Low, Medium, High, User Defined). Even if I set to Disabled, still cannot. Clients here are only one NAT to the internet.

The Asus, gets one IP from the ONR DHCP and is treated as the WAN IP to its own internal LAN network. The clients connecting to it are assigned internal LAN network (from Asus DHCP) and can ping each other without issue. They are double NATted to the internet.

What I am wondering is why with the clients within the Linksys in AP mode (all IP same segment given by the ONR LAN), won't ping each other.

Those connected on Asus (not related with Linksys connected devices), can ping each other, within their internal network.

If I'm unable to fix, I can change the Linksys into router mode (like the Asus), for sure devices within would be able to ping each other, but they would double NAT which I am hoping not to be on.

Just change your Asus to AP mode to see if you suffer such an issue or not with device connected to the Asus router.

If no, then it could be an issue with your Linksys router settings.

If yes, sorry I have no idea. Maybe others can help you.

porterhouse

Reaction score
Hi HWZ folks. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

tl;dr: Getting bridged mode is still not so simple, even if Singtel are pushing the changes on the backend.

I am subscribed to a 1Gbps fibre and Singtel TV package, and was provided the Huawei HG8240T5 ONR for use. I insistently requested the ONT be provided instead but was told they no longer stock them and I would have to settle for the ONR. I wanted to share my recent experience in case anyone was looking to move to bridged mode.

After some back and forth, explaining that I want to use my own equipment and stating the reasons why, I convinced them to convert the ONR to bridged mode to run as an ONT, and they advised this was being changed on the backend. With this configuration, I was informed LAN1 could be used to connect to the WAN port of my third party router (TPR), and the remaining ports on the ONR would work for the STB only. No VLAN setup would be required on the TPR. This setup seems to echo what some other users have experienced in this thread.

In order to check if the ONR configuration was changed, I connected up directly and logged in to the ONR with the support user credentials (support:<last 10 of serial, reversed>). I confirmed that Routing Mode was still selected under Mode Switching. The only noticeable change in the UI was that DHCP Relay was enabled. Exporting the configuration and reviewing the XML, I saw the following:
HTML:
<WANIPConnectionInstance InstanceID="1" Enable="1" Reset="0" PossibleConnectionTypes="IP_Routed,IP_Bridged" ConnectionType="IP_Routed" Name="IPTV"...
<WANIPConnectionInstance InstanceID="1" Enable="1" Reset="0" PossibleConnectionTypes="IP_Routed,IP_Bridged" ConnectionType="IP_Bridged" Name="Internet"...

So, it seemed the configuration matched what they had described. The "Internet" connection on LAN1 was indeed bridged, whereas the "IPTV" connection remained untouched.

Fast forward a little - I connected up the ethernet cable from ONR LAN1 to TPR WAN, and plugged the STB into ONR LAN4. I was able to receive the WAN IP on my TPR, and after manually setting the DNS settings on the TPR to use Singtel's DNS servers, I was able to achieve internet connectivity. However, the STB was failing to connect. No IPTV light on the ONR, and the TV displayed a message noting the STB did not start up properly. After a few attempts at rebooting, changing cabling, etc. and still encountering the same, I logged a request with Singtel through their support channel.

Typically, Singtel's support was rather unhelpful - they also told me to try power cycling the devices, and so on. After this still yielded no results, they agreed to send out a field engineer (FE) to review the issue. I was given the firm promise that the issue would be resolved and that the FE would not leave site until the IPTV was working.

The FE arrived, I explained the setup to him - bridged mode configured on the backend, LAN1 for internet, remaining ports for IPTV, internet connectivity is working as expected but IPTV is down. The FE was immediately confused and noted that he had not seen or heard of this configuration before, and the only one he is familiar with is the ONR being set to Bridged Mode in the settings and configuring the VLANs on the TPR.

One hour passes, the FE is still here and has been on some calls with the support/backend staff. IPTV remains down, and now the internet connectivity is also down. FE notes that the backend team have informed him my line is now locked up "due to security reasons" and will only unlock after 24 hours, apparently there's no way to manually do this. I push back on this and note that the internet connectivity was fine prior to the visit and request he escalate this issue and get the line unlocked.

Some more time passes while the FE continues to chat on the phone. IPTV is still down, internet is still down. FE then states he will need to leave and the investigation will continue from the backend side, and that manual unlock is still not an option. So, the FE leaves and I am left with two services now unoperational.

I reach out to the Singtel support team once more to note that I am dissatisfied with the service, and that the FE visit has now left me with no working services, and am given a generic answer of "it will take us 1-3 working days to investigate this issue".

To clarify, I'm not explicitly blaming the FE for this. He did tell me upfront he had not seen this type of configuration before. What I am annoyed about is Singtel's overall lack of support and nonchalant attitude to the whole situation. The inability to manually "unlock" lines is also absurd. How can a service provider not have control over their own services?

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Hi HWZ folks. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

tl;dr: Getting bridged mode is still not so simple, even if Singtel are pushing the changes on the backend.

I am subscribed to a 1Gbps fibre and Singtel TV package, and was provided the Huawei HG8240T5 ONR for use. I insistently requested the ONT be provided instead but was told they no longer stock them and I would have to settle for the ONR. I wanted to share my recent experience in case anyone was looking to move to bridged mode.

After some back and forth, explaining that I want to use my own equipment and stating the reasons why, I convinced them to convert the ONR to bridged mode to run as an ONT, and they advised this was being changed on the backend. With this configuration, I was informed LAN1 could be used to connect to the WAN port of my third party router (TPR), and the remaining ports on the ONR would work for the STB only. No VLAN setup would be required on the TPR. This setup seems to echo what some other users have experienced in this thread.

In order to check if the ONR configuration was changed, I connected up directly and logged in to the ONR with the support user credentials (support:<last 10 of serial, reversed>). I confirmed that Routing Mode was still selected under Mode Switching. The only noticeable change in the UI was that DHCP Relay was enabled. Exporting the configuration and reviewing the XML, I saw the following:
HTML:
<WANIPConnectionInstance InstanceID="1" Enable="1" Reset="0" PossibleConnectionTypes="IP_Routed,IP_Bridged" ConnectionType="IP_Routed" Name="IPTV"...
<WANIPConnectionInstance InstanceID="1" Enable="1" Reset="0" PossibleConnectionTypes="IP_Routed,IP_Bridged" ConnectionType="IP_Bridged" Name="Internet"...

So, it seemed the configuration matched what they had described. The "Internet" connection on LAN1 was indeed bridged, whereas the "IPTV" connection remained untouched.

Fast forward a little - I connected up the ethernet cable from ONR LAN1 to TPR WAN, and plugged the STB into ONR LAN4. I was able to receive the WAN IP on my TPR, and after manually setting the DNS settings on the TPR to use Singtel's DNS servers, I was able to achieve internet connectivity. However, the STB was failing to connect. No IPTV light on the ONR, and the TV displayed a message noting the STB did not start up properly. After a few attempts at rebooting, changing cabling, etc. and still encountering the same, I logged a request with Singtel through their support channel.

Typically, Singtel's support was rather unhelpful - they also told me to try power cycling the devices, and so on. After this still yielded no results, they agreed to send out a field engineer (FE) to review the issue. I was given the firm promise that the issue would be resolved and that the FE would not leave site until the IPTV was working.

The FE arrived, I explained the setup to him - bridged mode configured on the backend, LAN1 for internet, remaining ports for IPTV, internet connectivity is working as expected but IPTV is down. The FE was immediately confused and noted that he had not seen or heard of this configuration before, and the only one he is familiar with is the ONR being set to Bridged Mode in the settings and configuring the VLANs on the TPR.

One hour passes, the FE is still here and has been on some calls with the support/backend staff. IPTV remains down, and now the internet connectivity is also down. FE notes that the backend team have informed him my line is now locked up "due to security reasons" and will only unlock after 24 hours, apparently there's no way to manually do this. I push back on this and note that the internet connectivity was fine prior to the visit and request he escalate this issue and get the line unlocked.

Some more time passes while the FE continues to chat on the phone. IPTV is still down, internet is still down. FE then states he will need to leave and the investigation will continue from the backend side, and that manual unlock is still not an option. So, the FE leaves and I am left with two services now unoperational.

I reach out to the Singtel support team once more to note that I am dissatisfied with the service, and that the FE visit has now left me with no working services, and am given a generic answer of "it will take us 1-3 working days to investigate this issue".

To clarify, I'm not explicitly blaming the FE for this. He did tell me upfront he had not seen this type of configuration before. What I am annoyed about is Singtel's overall lack of support and nonchalant attitude to the whole situation. The inability to manually "unlock" lines is also absurd. How can a service provider not have control over their own services?

you have experienced the infamous singtel ip lock syndrome! basically what happens is when singtel's dhcp server issues public ip addresses too many times within 24 hours to devices connected via bridge mode (or ont), dhcp address exhaustion will occur for your account and no more public ip will be issued.

what could have happened: laptop directly connected to onr bridge, attempts to obtain public ip. then third party router connected attempts to obtain ip. misconfigured onr leads to singtel tv stb attempt to request public ip. Boom!!! 3 unique ip addresses within 24hours enough to trigger ip lock.

ive also made a post before on how singtel's backend cannot manually clear the dhcp leases on their server when it is something that m1 cso do commonly. have to wait 24hours for lease expiry

welcome to singtel :D

Last edited:

porterhouse

Reaction score
you have experienced the infamous singtel ip lock syndrome! basically what happens is when singtel's dhcp server issues public ip addresses too many times within 24 hours to devices connected via bridge mode (or ont), dhcp address exhaustion will occur for your account and no more public ip will be issued.

what could have happened: laptop directly connected to onr bridge, attempts to obtain public ip. then third party router connected attempts to obtain ip. misconfigured onr leads to singtel tv stb attempt to request public ip. Boom!!! 3 unique ip addresses within 24hours enough to trigger ip lock.

ive also made a post before on how singtel's backend cannot manually clear the dhcp leases on their server when it is something that m1 cso do commonly. have to wait 24hours for lease expiry

welcome to singtel :D

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured it was likely to do with the number of DHCP lease requests being issued from different devices - since the FE connected his laptop directly to the ONR, and also changed the ONR a couple of times during troubleshooting.

I tried requesting a temporary static public IP to configure for now, to at least regain internet connectivity. Unfortunately, as expected, they cannot provide this. I guess I'll have to make do tethering my PC to my phone for now until the DHCP leases expire and another public IP can be obtained.

I've argued with Singtel on the support chat about the billing for this month and requested they deduct a reasonable amount for the inconvenience / lack of services. Haven't had any confirmation that they will do this, but I will be persistent as a matter of principle - it does not seem fair to pay for services which have been unavailable for >3 days.

In other news, the FE has called to say he will be back tomorrow - to do what, I'm still unsure. Hopefully the same situation does not occur again and, with any luck, perhaps the IPTV will be fixed in time for this weekend's PL games.

cy

Reaction score
Sorry Long time lurker here too. This is worrying. Can the same thing happen to Whizcomm? Cos planning to sign up w Whizcomm soon (which they already agree to bridge to ONT for me).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.