Lenovo laptop running hot

tjrsasea

Reaction score
whats the different between thermal paste and liquid metal?

thermal conductivity of liquid metal is much higher than thermal paste, even the best ones. it helps to transfer heat from cpu to heatsink as efficiently as possible, allowing the cpu to run cooler even with same heatsink.

however, liquid metal is not for everyone as it is also electrically conductive. if it flows out, it might short the motherboard without an insulative layer like the nail polish. it will sometimes leave permanent marks on the heatsink and cpu too.

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thermal conductivity of liquid metal is much higher than thermal paste, even the best ones. it helps to transfer heat from cpu to heatsink as efficiently as possible, allowing the cpu to run cooler even with same heatsink.

however, liquid metal is not for everyone as it is also electrically conductive. if it flows out, it might short the motherboard without an insulative layer like the nail polish. it will sometimes leave permanent marks on the heatsink and cpu too.

I think i will stick to thermal paste. hahah too risky.

ckctam

Reaction score
I think i will stick to thermal paste. hahah too risky.

I used Grizzly, a type of liquid metal, and it was pretty easy. Just keep it a drop or two so it doesn't leak out on the side.

Also clean the previous thermal paste w alcohol.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

How tight should/do you screw on the heat sink after apply thermal paste? Too tight paste all squeeze out, not tight poor contact & conductivity.

cheangjc

Reaction score
Victim:s13:

Nail polish insulate (1st coat)

Nail polish insulate (2nd coat)

Pea drop Liquid Metal

Spread ah Spread :o

Saw your post on reddit. Have you checked your temps recently to see if it degraded? The LM should form a layer of alloy with the copper and hence probably need to re-apply LM?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Word of caution, liquid metal can used on desktop CPU which have lid over it.
Notebook which chips are exposed, recommend using normal thermal paste.

I killed one notebook before when using wrong thermal paste which either is electrical conductive or consist of metal.

Noctua HT-N1 is the safest choice which I have been using to service both desktop and notebooks.
If you want to bring down notebook temp get a nb cooler as well.

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I want to know if my 6 yr old lenovo laptop thermal pad can be replaced with new thermal paste. Its been running hot recently and i think its due to the heatsink and paste dried up or something.

SLS ppl can help to replace the thermal paste?

Go youtube, learn and DIY.

wyssn11

Reaction score
Saw your post on reddit. Have you checked your temps recently to see if it degraded? The LM should form a layer of alloy with the copper and hence probably need to re-apply LM?

Didn't noticed any degradation in temps. Been using average 6hrs daily.

What was observed was the XiaoXin Pro is limited by the PD limit of 65Watts. which R20 tops 4300ish. @87deg with the LM application.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.