Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The police arrested 160 men and 77 women, aged between 13 and 77 years old, for their suspected involvement in loansharking activities in an operation that took place between July 20 and 30, 2020.

Officers from the Criminal Investigation Department and the seven police land divisions conducted simultaneous raids at multiple locations island-wide resulting in the arrests.

Preliminary investigations revealed that 51 suspects are believed to be runners who assisted loansharks by carrying out ATM transfers.

Another 12 are believed to have carried out acts of harassment by splashing paint and scrawling loanshark-related graffiti on walls.

The remaining 174 suspects are believed to have opened bank accounts and given away their ATM cards and Personal Identification Numbers to facilitate unlicensed moneylending business.

Investigations against all the suspects are ongoing.

Under the Moneylenders’ Act (Revised Edition 2010), when a bank account or ATM card of any person is used to facilitate moneylending by an unlicensed moneylender, that person is presumed to have assisted to carry on the business of unlicensed moneylending.

First-time offenders found guilty of assisting in the business of unlicensed moneylending may be fined between S$30,000 and S$300,000, be imprisoned for a term of up to four years and shall also be liable to be punished with caning of up to six strokes.

First-time offenders found guilty of acting on behalf of an unlicensed moneylender, committing or attempting to commit any acts of harassment will be punished with imprisonment for a term of up to five years, a fine of between S$5,000 and S$50,000, and shall also be liable to caning of between three and six strokes.

Members of public are advised to stay away from loansharks and not to work with or assist the loansharks in any way.

The public can call the police at "999" or the X-Ah Long hotline at 1800-924-5664 if they suspect or know of anyone who could be involved in loansharking activities.

Azrayi

Reaction score
Hi guys so now currently i have stopped paying thm and called the bank to revert money and i have changed the phone num too.but the first time he asked for defer payments i transferred him with my bank account.will i be liable for assisting in loanshark activities but i havent like opened a new bank account for them or gave them my atm card

pls_help_me

Reaction score
Hi guys so now currently i have stopped paying thm and called the bank to revert money and i have changed the phone num too.but the first time he asked for defer payments i transferred him with my bank account.will i be liable for assisting in loanshark activities but i havent like opened a new bank account for them or gave them my atm card

Report to police, so you wont be implicated.
Close your current bank account if possible and reopen a new one, it is pretty quick.

The reason i suggest closing your account is because they might "accidentally" transfer more money into your account.

Example , they "accidentally" transfer you 300 dollar, they ask u to transfer 100 to 3 separate accounts, sometimes reverting payment dont work because they use direct deposit.

Worst case scenario, someone who is 'paying' the loan shark/loan scammers is 'paying' money into your bank account, then if the person report police and your bank account gets flagged. Not worth right

Killerwhale168

Reaction score
Just want to share, recently kanna loan scam enquire a personal loan and after don't want to take up this guy forced transfer $400 to my bank account and ask me to transfer $600 or he will do something to me and family. What the hell is happening. Anyway, I quickly reported to the bank on the unauthorized transaction and make a police report and surrender the $400 to the police . After that I closed my bank account. Kanna spam watsapp and nuisance calls as expected but as advice by police don't communicate with them. To those people who are victims, remember you are not alone. Don't pay them and just ignore them. Never be a runner for them not worth to do it. If you kanna caught that's the end. Mandatory canning no joke.

Killerwhale168

Reaction score

Report what you know to the police and you should be fine. These *******s are cowards making use of victims. If gentleman come out say don't hide hide.

Killerwhale168

Reaction score
So I have change my number already. For these past few days is quiet and peaceful. Now just basically preparing if any runners will come by to my house. Prepare to call police too.

I feel you, I kanna also recently. Stay calm and things will be fine. Singapore catch criminal very fast 1. Hope those poor victims like us smart enough don't pay and become runner for them.

Killerwhale168

Reaction score
See heng suay, aiya just dont care them, inform ur neighbours and family in advance

Same here, I also don't care them. Most important thing stay calm. I also kanjio when I kanna, now calm down OK liao. Report police, close account then block calls from them don't communicate with them. Messages from them don't read cos disturbing and may make you scare.

Killerwhale168

Reaction score
All the people you gave their contact, warn them they will be harassed and that you have been scammed.

Fb post and every harassment - file police report, can do online.

Lastly do not pay and do not fear, call 999 if any physical harassment happens.

Yes, do not fear and don't pay and communicate with them. Messages from them don't see also if not you may be scared. Trust our police they catch quite fast 1.

Killerwhale168

Reaction score
This forum very useful for sharing similar experiences and definitely calm me down a lot when I kanna scammed. Got a lot of invaluable advices from the good people here. Stay safe and help to defeat them.

Killerwhale168

Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping to get some advice from you guys.

Weeks ago, i was approached by someone on whatsapp who happen to know my name, still no idea how, claiming to be from LML i used previously. However, he has 'broken out' and is starting his own business claiming many customers have started supporting him. After turning him down a few times, i relented as i needed some urgent cash.

I proceeded to send him my IC and payslip as 'document proof'. The initial amount requested for $AK but upon receiving $2AA transfer from 3 different accounts, i felt suspicious and requested it to stop immediately, which he did. We then discussed and came to an agreement that i will return $AAA with slight interest after he refused to accept me returning the same amount at that point. The agreement was 1 month later from the date of receiving it. There was no issue for a couple of weeks until 1 week plus back he requested me to make a $AA payment to a specific account. I did so and i confirmed with him that the outstanding out be $AAA to be paid on the one month of receiving the initial amount. He asked for the same amount just this monday and i clarified that was the initial arrangement. He said no, this $AA is merely 'deferment', technically if i pay $AA for the rest of my life, i won't be able to clear this debt. So i asked for a 'clearance payment' which he arrived at $AAA which is over 200% more than received amount

I did so even though i knew there was a risk of him coming back for more, but i did it because i felt he would have gotten more than what he provided initially.

I made a police report on the same night and was advised to close my account and change my mobile. First few days was fine (no sound), but today he texted using another number requesting for payment AGAIN despite clearing it. I ignored and blocked, updated my IO about it.

Part of his whatsapp image he sent across showed a facebook post of my IC with my occupation claiming i took a loan from his 'company' and refused to pay, he proceeded to claim he will share my address (which i'm not sure if he did OR if the post was photoshopped) He also called my home landline claiming to be someone from my workplace.

I understand from reading all the posts, i should be ignoring and ghosting them. IS THERE ANY ADDITIONAL ADVICE FROM YOU GUYS?

Ignore them completely. No use talking to them. They are no gentleman and coward. Not like last time older days come out settle 1 time close case. Any physical or property harassment 999.

Suitelife11

Reaction score
I feel you, I kanna also recently. Stay calm and things will be fine. Singapore catch criminal very fast 1. Hope those poor victims like us smart enough don't pay and become runner for them.

I know right. Most runners are all those peoples that are owe them money and instead, do this kind of splashing paints. If kenna caught by police they have to go to jail and get caning and even worse still, is that the loan shark or scammers mastermind will not be arrested. Hope people that scared of them, please don't be their runner and cause physical trouble.

First-time offenders found guilty of acting on behalf of an unlicensed moneylender, committing or attempting to commit any acts of harassment will be punished with imprisonment for a term of up to five years, a fine of between S$5,000 and S$50,000, and shall also be liable to caning of between three and six strokes.

Killerwhale168

Reaction score
This is usually what people who never experience such harassment will logically think under stress and pressure.

What guarantee can you give that it will end? The loanshark don't want it to end as paying back only means the victim is cooperating with the loanshark. They only see it as another business opportunity to try to harass for more money after that.

So the situation will not change and in fact will get worse. I can confirm and guarantee of that.

So stop paying or returning is the best move, even if it sounds illogical and suicidal at first. Harassment still going to happen if continue to payback or return. So, why return?

Totally agreed, don't pay them. I doubt they can do anything drastic they are just scam syndicate based in Malaysia or China making use of victims to do job for them. It's a bit different from last time loan shark who is really those gangsters connection. Although gangster but gentleman way of settle things. Long time ago got 1 of my friend with a bit of connection went down geylang to settled with the loan shark face to face. Pay and settled. Gentleman agreement.

Suitelife11

Reaction score
Loan scam

So just tonight someone knock on my doorstep and say got letter appointed to his home and the letter is my home address. I check my home CCTV and discover the suspicious guy. But just after that the loan scammer text my NOK say is the letter delivered? To be honest IDK if that guy is just a neighbour or really runner. Should I report 999? But what if the guy is just a neighbour that runner put letter on his house then how?

Killerwhale168

Reaction score
So just tonight someone knock on my doorstep and say got letter appointed to his home and the letter is my home address. I check my home CCTV and discover the suspicious guy. But just after that the loan scammer text my NOK say is the letter delivered? To be honest IDK if that guy is just a neighbour or really runner. Should I report 999? But what if the guy is just a neighbour that runner put letter on his house then how?

Just send send the information to the police and let them do the investigation.

Killerwhale168

Reaction score

What the letter say?

Shoniah

Reaction score
I have been reading all those comments. I was a victim
Too. Harrassment started few weeks ago. One of the runners came to lock my gate last sunday and police arrested him within two days. On tues, another runner locked my neighbour's gate ( not my level ) , it was from another side of my block according to my IO. I have lose my job due to this even though i had worked for my ex boss for 7 years. He refused to listen to me and told me to settle my own problem instead of bringing it to office. My last day was on 21st july and i am alr having a hard time finding new job.

Installed cctv this week. Police have been patrolling my unit everyday ( few times ). Hope the harrassment will stop asap.

Killerwhale168

Reaction score
I have been reading all those comments. I was a victim
Too. Harrassment started few weeks ago. One of the runners came to lock my gate last sunday and police arrested him within two days. On tues, another runner locked my neighbour's gate ( not my level ) , it was from another side of my block according to my IO. I have lose my job due to this even though i had worked for my ex boss for 7 years. He refused to listen to me and told me to settle my own problem instead of bringing it to office. My last day was on 21st july and i am alr having a hard time finding new job.

Installed cctv this week. Police have been patrolling my unit everyday ( few times ). Hope the harrassment will stop asap.

Sad to hear that u lost your job. They called your office? How much you own them? Stay strong.

Shoniah

Reaction score
Sad to hear that u lost your job. They called your office? How much you own them? Stay strong.

It started in mar. It was hms credit name of ron lim. It was my first time taking loan so i didnt know whether was it a scam or not. I actually cancelled it but the next day i saw $350 in it and it led to MANY trial loans and they changed few numbers. Actually wanted 10k loan but they sent me a ibanking proof WHICH I BELIEVED NOW THAT IT IS PHOTOSHOPPED. another guy called alex who is ron's colleague also transferred me money and it led to many trial loans. I repaid both of them ( idk who is alex in the first place and he claimed to be ron's colleague ). Last month, ron transferred me $950 and told me to defer or pay $1.4k in aug but i reported to police because i have alr lost few thousand to them. The $950 , police told
Me not to pay them back. They started to called my NOK and threatening started. They called my office last month and spammed email and calls till my boss couldnt take it. Straight away told me to resign. I have worked there for 7 years yet he didnt trust me.

One of the runners locked my gate last sun and ron sent me video and picture of the debtor note and lock. Immediately the police came and took action. My IO said runner got arrested on tues. on thurs another runner locked one of my neighbour's gate. I installed cctv earlier this week. Nothing has happened ( hopefully ) and i kept seeing police patrolling everyday in the afternoon and night.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.