Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

creator88

Reaction score
My free fibre broadband contract also just ended, bill went from $42 monthly to $97! So had to recontract.

Signed for the Homehub 1G package with 1gbps connection and 2 entertainment passes (1+1 free), netflix subscription, 1 set-top box free, and paired with a set of 2 Nokia Beacon 1 AC1200 mesh routers, plus mobile line with 1GB data for $79.90.

A lot of people clearing the Beacon 1 today on carousell, as low as $78 for a pair. Managed to sell my pair for $120.

Any chance that Starhub will extend the free fibre broadband? It seems its not possible to watch Starhub Fibre TV without also subscribing to their fibre service? Is my understanding correct?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any chance that Starhub will extend the free fibre broadband? It seems its not possible to watch Starhub Fibre TV without also subscribing to their fibre service? Is my understanding correct?

You can pay the Fibre Link Access monthly fee of S$15.

Or just switch to Singtel TV. You do not need to pay extra even if you do not use Singtel Fibre broadband.

A Fibre Link Access fee of $15/month (or such other rate as we may prescribe from time to time) applies if you terminate the StarHub Fibre Broadband Service which you have subscribed for together with your Entertainment Pass that is registered under the same billing account and Service Address.

Hardware4455

Reaction score
StarHub fibre tv users,

I don’t know if my eyes is playing tricks on me or it is really an improvement on the quality of the channels

Out of nothing, some channel saw big improvement on the quality. Color and clarity wise. Very obvious on CNA, channel 5 and some other HD Channels.

Those channels I check was already in HD when I signed up for fibre tv 2 years back

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone else encountered problem with their fiber TV box? Was prompted to do factory reset.

Kennedy

Master Member
Reaction score
may I know what Taiwan Hokkien drama is now showing in SH 855 VV ? or 855 no longer has it, it is in 852 Ruyi. 825 E City has it, showing weekdays 6pm. can't find their channels schedules online.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
may I know what Taiwan Hokkien drama is now showing in SH 855 VV ? or 855 no longer has it, it is in 852 Ruyi. 825 E City has it, showing weekdays 6pm. can't find their channels schedules online.

Install StarHub TV+ app on mobile phone and there is the channel schedule guide.

BTW, StarHub Fibre TV users may install BBC Player app to enjoy some contents from BBC as well.

Another thing, new StarHub Mobile plans have free one year StarHub TV+ subscription.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Install StarHub TV+ app on mobile phone and there is the channel schedule guide.

BTW, StarHub Fibre TV users may install BBC Player app to enjoy some contents from BBC as well.

Another thing, new StarHub Mobile plans have free one year StarHub TV+ subscription.

Moreover, if you have Starhub Fibre TV subscription, you can watch the channel you have subscription to using the Starhub TV+ app (Note: I believe you need an add on for your Fibre TV).

Edit to add:
https://www.starhub.com/personal/entertainment/get-started/tv-plans/tv-streaming.html

Customers with the new StarHub Entertainment Pass can enjoy complimentary StarHub TV Go.
Existing StarHub TV customers can subscribe to StarHub TV Go at a promotion rate of only $2/month.^

^StarHub TV Go Value-Added Service is available at a promotion rate of $2/month for 12 months. The usual price of $5.35/month applies thereafter.

**** From the app Help and Guide ***
For StarHub TV customers, go to ‘Guide’ to access the LIVE TV channels you are subscribed to and watch instantly. To access catch up shows, click/tap on TV shows or Movies to watch your subscribed on demand shows.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Moreover, if you have Starhub Fibre TV subscription, you can watch the channel you have subscription to using the Starhub TV+ app (Note: I believe you need an add on for your Fibre TV).

Edit to add:
https://www.starhub.com/personal/entertainment/get-started/tv-plans/tv-streaming.html

Customers with the new StarHub Entertainment Pass can enjoy complimentary StarHub TV Go.
Existing StarHub TV customers can subscribe to StarHub TV Go at a promotion rate of only $2/month.^

^StarHub TV Go Value-Added Service is available at a promotion rate of $2/month for 12 months. The usual price of $5.35/month applies thereafter.

**** From the app Help and Guide ***
For StarHub TV customers, go to ‘Guide’ to access the LIVE TV channels you are subscribed to and watch instantly. To access catch up shows, click/tap on TV shows or Movies to watch your subscribed on demand shows.

To be more clear, for the Entertainment Pass subscribers, Starhub TV+ is free.

https://www.starhub.com/personal/entertainment/passes.html

Flexi-Entertainment
Switch between 7 Passes anytime and enjoy the new Pass in 24 hours.

No hidden fees
Inclusive of 1 set-top box and zero activation fees.
Watch anytime, anywhere, on any device

Watch your favourite subscribed content via StarHub TV+, at no additional cost.[/QUOTE]

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My free fibre broadband contract also just ended, bill went from $42 monthly to $97! So had to recontract.

Signed for the Homehub 1G package with 1gbps connection and 2 entertainment passes (1+1 free), netflix subscription, 1 set-top box free, and paired with a set of 2 Nokia Beacon 1 AC1200 mesh routers, plus mobile line with 1GB data for $79.90.

A lot of people clearing the Beacon 1 today on carousell, as low as $78 for a pair. Managed to sell my pair for $120.
They giving only 1 beacon now right?
Can i use my router with this beacon? Or beacon must replace the router?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They giving only 1 beacon now right?
Can i use my router with this beacon? Or beacon must replace the router?

Home Hub : two Nokia Beacon 1
Fibre Internet only : one Nokia Beacon 1

And yes you can set the Nokia Beacon 1 in Bridge mode and keep using your main router.
https://wifi-helpcenter.nokia.com/hc/en-us/articles/360027263314-Bridge-mode

But the feedback is that it is not worth it. Feedback from Starhub Community is pretty bad. Resale price is also low at around S$50 per piece.
https://community.starhub.com/conve...okia-beacon-1-review/5f23c15c9e66e6560451b653

Last edited:

uncle_josh

Reaction score

And yes you can set the Nokia Beacon 1 in Bridge mode and keep using your main router.

But the feedback is that it is not worth it. Feedback from Starhub Community is pretty bad. Resale price is also low at around S$50 per piece.
https://community.starhub.com/conve...okia-beacon-1-review/5f23c15c9e66e6560451b653
read again

Bottomline: If the Nokia Beacon was available at the time I needed a mesh router, it would have been a top contender.

Sent from 天作孽 犹可恕 自作孽 不可活 using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
read again

Bottomline: If the Nokia Beacon was available at the time I needed a mesh router, it would have been a top contender.

You only read the first post, or the second post by a semi "professional" reviewer who probably get the router for free and get paid by ads, and I do not trust his review. (Note: still it is good that he discloses that he is employed by Starhub but in a different department).

Please read the next few posts by average users.

Edit to add: any way since you have the Nokia, you can share your experiences as well, compared to EA7500 and EA8100.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My take is that Nokia Beacon 1 is not bad with a pair as a low cost Mesh solution, if you have Ethernet backhaul. If only a single unit, probably it is not comparable to EA8100.

One of my colleagues mentioned to me EA8100 performs better for him.

It is probably in the same league as low cost S$99 per pair TP-Link Deco M4, which I have (two pairs, 4pcs).

Last edited:

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

They call to offer recontract homehub only giving 1 Beacon. But will need a router. Some devices using LAN. Beacon has only 1 LAN port.
Why can't they either safe use money buy making the subscription cheaper or give options instead of giving us sub par devices.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They call to offer recontract homehub only giving 1 Beacon. But will need a router. Some devices using LAN. Beacon has only 1 LAN port.
Why can't they either safe use money buy making the subscription cheaper or give options instead of giving us sub par devices.

In that case you can buy a second hand EA8100 instead for around S$30 to S$50 and the sell the new Nokia also at around S$50.

Or top up a bit to buy TP-Link AX10 -- a decent WiFi 6 router at S$99.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems like Starhub is phasing out the fibre TV box and packages and replacing with Starhub TV plus and optional starhub TV plus box instead.
https://www.starhub.com/personal/tvplus/passes.html

Interesting move.
https://www.starhub.com/personal/tvplus/box.html

Good thing is that 4k will be supported by Starhub TV+ Box, including Netflix 4k, better than the old Go Streaming Box.

Features

Access Free-to-Air channels when you get connected with StarHub Broadband and StarHub Smart WiFi

Get streaming services, apps and TV programmes on a single platform
Specifications

Android TV OS with Operator Tier (Version 10)

Ultra-HD compatible so you can enjoy 4K content, including Netflix

Chromecast built-in
Google Voice Search
Dolby Digital Plus audio
Fast streaming with 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi
Quad-Core Processor 2GB RAM & 8GB storage

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.