Anyone has a maid at home?

coey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I need a new FDW helper to replace the current Indo one (transfer-hire) at home.

Requirements?

Take care of female elder with slight disability which includes:

1. Toileting and bathing - need to help her to the toilet to do her business and cleaning her after that. Showering and applying lotions. Ensuring safety in the toilet and washing of toilet.

2. Walking and exercising - need to make sure she doesn’t fall or injury herself.

3. Ferrying to medical appointments and taking medication.

The above three are primary duties.

4. Housework. Not much. Vacuuming, mopping and washing mainly living room, own/shared room and common toilet. Other areas, not required. Washing machine for clothes together. Clean windows once in a while. Certain cleaning, I will help from time to time.

5. Cooking? Depends. Prefer no dietary restrictions. Go food centre to eat together or tabao back. Must take note of what elder can or cannot eat.

The usuals as follow.

6. No mobile phone usage restriction. Use your own data plan, no free WiFi. However, remember duty No. 2.

7. 6:30am - 9:30pm. Not much or nothing to do after lunch if the elder doesn’t want to exercise. Can watch TV together with elder. Sundays off.

8. Don’t borrow money. Must be honest.

9. Understand English and speak it.

Where to find one in the range of $500 - $600? Paying the current annoying one way more and making me miserable with her cooking.

Wonder how much it will cost again? Blew 2K for the current one in agency and miscellaneous fees.

Sorry for posting in this parenting section but looking after elders can be the same. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks!
Where to find 500-600? 3 yrs back i engage a fresh 1 already closed to $600.

thisislife

Reaction score
anyone still hiring a maid? going to have a baby soon, not sure if want to hire one or not

Fundfair

Reaction score
When coming to treating our helper, remember that they are like us. Have feelings, have family, etc.

So instead of restricting this and that, tell her that you trust that she will do the required task well.

Personally, I feel that usage of hp and wifi connectivity at home are basic essentials for any humans, including us.

How would we feel if our boss say : You cannot check Facebook, or use WhatsApp to chat with your friends during office hours? How would we feel if our employer ask us to work but ask us to buy our own notebook, use our own data?

Just like us, if our employer gives us freedom, we abused it and they give us warning. We didn't improve but continue, then they will restrict.

This is my personal view lah. Cheers.

Yeap agree man. As long as they do their jobs the phone could be with them. Unless you want to restrict them to only certain hours of usage perhaps due to not wanting their using be a distraction to your children then i think it is reasonable.

DoctorThor

Banned
Reaction score
Yeap agree man. As long as they do their jobs the phone could be with them. Unless you want to restrict them to only certain hours of usage perhaps due to not wanting their using be a distraction to your children then i think it is reasonable.

So still brings back the most basic question.

Say wife and daughters all go braless at home... are we equitable to deny the maid such a basic human right?

Tell her no. Cannot be braless at night when going sleep. Must always wear one. Full stop...

Yup. We are first world indeed.

BrOwnTeddy

Banned
Reaction score
anyone still hiring a maid? going to have a baby soon, not sure if want to hire one or not
Personally I won't. Cos I know I make a sh*tty employer + I am not into modern day master-serf kinda relationship (that's kinda how I perceive having a maid though).

- If I need my floor to be cleaned and mopped, there's robot vacuums.
- If I need my clothes to be washed and dried, I mean, how long do one need to put the clothes into the washer, set it to wash and dry?
- Adopt a 'clean as you go' methodology at home. It will cut down large swaths of cleaning by at least 98%.
- Remaining 2%? Settle it yourself.

For children, 'automate' your working process by understanding what do the child needs when they wake up at night. Pee? Poop? Hungry? Just want a hug to sleep? (Which is why, the first couple of months are actually the easiest since you just need to handle the majority physical aspects of taking care of a child).

For Pee-Pee, what do you need? Wet tissues, fresh diaper, a small cuppa water.
For Poo-Poo, what do you need? Wet tissues, fresh diaper, a small cuppa water.
For Milk, what do you need? x scoopful of milk, bottle, room temperature water, timed milk warmer with the exact number of minutes that you'd already had committed to memory.

Both husband and wife wake up and do the above procedures together (it will take under 5mins if both of you get that rhythm and movement on your hands automatically. Its like dismantling a rifle blindfolded) and stick to just either father or mother in-charge of patting LO to sleep even if the sky falls down (so that a high level of consistency is maintained and LO sleeps faster and faster with the same person in-charge).

Not too difficult. Survived without a maid.

CleanWorthy

Reaction score
We believe that engaging cleaning services should be hassle free, transparent pricing and as easy as 123. Regardless you are looking for one time house cleaning like end tenancy cleaning, post renovation cleaning, spring cleaning or regular cleaning like weekly or twice a week cleaning services. CleanWorthy have you covered.

We provide professional cleaning services below:
Feel free to contact
Hotline: +65 9194 0123
Email: hello@cleanworthy.com

Sofa Cleaning
Mattress Cleaning
Mold Cleaning
Regular Cleaning
End Tenancy Cleaning
Toilet Cleaning
BBQ Cleaning
Oven Cleaning
Kitchen Hood Cleaning

Reaction score
Personally I won't. Cos I know I make a sh*tty employer + I am not into modern day master-serf kinda relationship (that's kinda how I perceive having a maid though).

- If I need my clothes to be washed and dried, I mean, how long do one need to put the clothes into the washer, set it to wash and dry?
- Adopt a 'clean as you go' methodology at home. It will cut down large swaths of cleaning by at least 98%.

For children, 'automate' your working process by understanding what do the child needs when they wake up at night. Pee? Poop? Hungry? Just want a hug to sleep? (Which is why, the first couple of months are actually the easiest since you just need to handle the majority physical aspects of taking care of a child).

For Milk, what do you need? x scoopful of milk, bottle, room temperature water, timed milk warmer with the exact number of minutes that you'd already had committed to memory.

Both husband and wife wake up and do the above procedures together (it will take under 5mins if both of you get that rhythm and movement on your hands automatically. Its like dismantling a rifle blindfolded) and stick to just either father or mother in-charge of patting LO to sleep even if the sky falls down (so that a high level of consistency is maintained and LO sleeps faster and faster with the same person in-charge).

+1 Very well written Teddy

Reaction score
For those who think that life as a maid is easy to take care of a baby, you try this yourself for 3 days.

Do continuous housework at home from the moment you wake up, baby cry, you stop and take care of baby, baby awake, you can't do much work, then need to cook for family and take care of baby. So tired liao, at night still need to look after baby and wake up now and then...

Walk in their shoe and you will appreciate how hard it is...

Agree, caring for a newborn is not an easy task.

thisislife

Reaction score

you got how many kid? 1 or 2?

now maybe 1 still okay, but if 2 then jialat liao

yaksowmi

Reaction score

I hire Filipino helper a while ago. Filipino is more expensive but easier to get along with family. You can interview the helper and make sure that they like babies and children. My 2 cents.

Having a baby surely will needs more help. But one can let the helper do simpler tasks and household chores. Then when the helper gains more trust then slowly slowly do more complex tasks of taking care of baby.

When baby is young, surely needs parents to take care especially below 4 months old.

SubbuPD

Reaction score
When coming to treating our helper, remember that they are like us. Have feelings, have family, etc.

So instead of restricting this and that, tell her that you trust that she will do the required task well.

Personally, I feel that usage of hp and wifi connectivity at home are basic essentials for any humans, including us.

How would we feel if our boss say : You cannot check Facebook, or use WhatsApp to chat with your friends during office hours? How would we feel if our employer ask us to work but ask us to buy our own notebook, use our own data?

Just like us, if our employer gives us freedom, we abused it and they give us warning. We didn't improve but continue, then they will restrict.

This is my personal view lah. Cheers.

You are right la

FiveBiscuits

Reaction score
I taught my Myanmar maid hokkien so we converse through it, which is easier.

And also, in this way, she doesn't know english so she can't mingle, get bad influence from other foreign workers.

If we want to talk about her infront of her, we switch to chinese.

Sometimes I feel that me and my family is kind of deceptive towards her, but it has been working out for the last 4 years.

Mr Anonymous

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bump this up.. any one has good agency to share that still operating in covid19?

My dad dementia v jialat i need helper

jeofefforts

Reaction score
I have a child and I engaged a helper.
Invest in your helper and it yield returns on your child.
70% Employer + 30% Friend

CozyTheBest

Suspended
Reaction score
Very well, if anyone want they can follow him.

sigeena

Reaction score
It does get easier over time as your kids get older. They start taking care of themselves, they learn to put on their own clothes, button their shirts, they feed themselves, wash their own hands.

Maybe have a maid to do the household chores. We spend alot of time washing and folding. I've completely forgotten about ironing my own clothes. But don't outsource your parenting.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMHO.
As a worker, I do not think i will go and tell my boss he can do the work himself. Of course, he may be able to do it himself, but perhaps to him, time is $ or maybe he thinks I can do the work better. :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.