[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge - Part 2

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No wood or plant..erm i feed the fish 4 times a day but they gobbled up everything so I thought is okay.

Filterpad is those can wash one..so i only wash it ... should i change to this white color one?

Some can wash. Some can replace.
4 times a day too much, got risk of overfeeding.
also feed more = more body waste = easier yellow.
u try
1- change pad
2- change 25% for the next 2,3 days
3- only feed on 3rd day, ONCE.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
No wood or plant..erm i feed the fish 4 times a day but they gobbled up everything so I thought is okay.

Filterpad is those can wash one..so i only wash it ... should i change to this white color one?

can post the exact food you feed your fish?

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And also picture tells a thousand words

Size of fish
Amount u feed
What filter n what (or how much )media is inside

Just in case .
do not wash media during water change

MrTheROCK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And also picture tells a thousand words

Size of fish
Amount u feed
What filter n what (or how much )media is inside

Just in case .
do not wash media during water change

when i first started out, i was a total noob and washed the filter media once :o

why so many filter such as hang on back, hand on top, canister, sump, internal etc :o

i also didn't know what's cycle the tank and have never heard of beneficial bacteria, mechanical, biological and chemical filter. Activated Carbon, UV Light :o

Also never heard of aquarium salt, chlorine, chloramine, PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, General hardness, carbonate hardness, temperature requirement. :o

And what is also 6500k light, or warm day light or cool day light or white pink LED or White Blue LED :o

What is tannis, black water? liver bearers, nocturnal fish? vitamins solution? 1cm per litre rule? aeration? :o

Why aquatic plants so many types? Why subtrate so many types?

don't even need to talk about CO2, NPK, micro elements and trace elements :o

Why algae got black beard, green, green blue etc?

But at the very least, I still bought a cheapo OF $1 anti chlorine for my first Betta Fish :o

Last edited:

jq75

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i bought a bag of feeder fish

about 30-40 low grade guppies, cost $2

true enough, about 1/5 of them die within a week, despite excellent water conditions

i think they have internal defect

i itchy hand also buy poor quality fish from a poorly maintained tank, only 25% still struggling after 2 weeks:s22:

jq75

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Any aquarium fish farm worth visiting? I'm staying in the west and been to most farms in the west and seaview as well. Thinking of driving to some other farm in other parts of SG. Are farms in Pasir Ris worth visiting like OTF/Mainland/Cheng Feng? Or any other areas?

Mainland - not recommended imho:)
what fishes u looking at?

mahjong saint

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think they have internal defect

i itchy hand also buy poor quality fish from a poorly maintained tank, only 25% still struggling after 2 weeks:s22:

you fared better than mine

mine left 1/5 after one week, despite the best water conditions and some liquid medicine for them

but i consider it a success if i can salvage a couple of them to breed the next normal generations

Last edited:

jq75

Honorary Member
Reaction score
you fared better than mine

mine left 1/5 after one week, despite the best water conditions and some liquid medicine for them

but i consider it a success if i can savage a couple of them to breed the next normal generations

sigh, my conclusion, not worth waste time on such 'unhealthy' fishes.
the breeder knows whats going on

buy a better, healthier fishes, save time on treating them:o

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ask you all. Do you guys scrub your fish tank sparkling clean no algae???
Reason why I ask, because my granny's guppy tank. Usually I just ignore the algae, every alternate day suck the waste from the bottom, top water that's it. So actually the walls quite a bit of algae de. Then today the FDW out of the blues so hardworking scrub all four walls and bottom clean no algae... lol

I ever read before algae is part of the water's self sustain too, so long the fishes are acclimate to it, alright.
But in case I am wrong. Is algae actually good or bad for fish tank???

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reason why I ask, because my granny's guppy tank. Usually I just ignore the algae, every alternate day suck the waste from the bottom, top water that's it. So actually the walls quite a bit of algae de. Then today the FDW out of the blues so hardworking scrub all four walls and bottom clean no algae... lol

I ever read before algae is part of the water's self sustain too, so long the fishes are acclimate to it, alright.

Algae is just algae. Like a plant lor

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Algae is just algae. Like a plant lor
Which means should be beneficial for water and fish??? Because if it's neutral, don't have much impact to tank, I will leave it to the FDW being so hardworking. :p
I am just curious if a clean tank with no algae does it mean too clean no good... But there are stalks of anacharis inside also

Last edited:

shin7829

Reaction score
I just completed aquascaping.
Now cycling.

Sian i forget to mist the soil before i put in water. Some olants get uprooted and very difficult to plant them back

Is there any way to olant when the tank is filled with water? Cause the soil dont seems able to cover them well.

I using ada soil, and ada powder soil......

MrTheROCK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which means should be beneficial for water and fish??? Because if it's neutral, don't have much impact to tank, I will leave it to the FDW being so hardworking. :p
I am just curious if a clean tank with no algae does it mean too clean no good... But there are stalks of anacharis inside also

as long it's no poisonous blue green algae u r safe :o

perrinrahl

Reaction score

Algae is a response to your tank conditions; without it your tank would have gone haywire with all the excessive light, nutrients etc.

The problem is not algae but the root causes.

Marimo moss is a type of algae really.

simnonsg

Reaction score

Normally will scrub brown algae which is unsightly as it due to uneaten food rotting
Green ones will leave alone as not too obvious to sight and just get a pleco to do the job if needed

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.