The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

teosamuel4

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for lens/frame recommendations because my zoff frame broke thrice in 3 months.. I'm not too sure of my prescription, but I know that its not anything too serious. around 200-300 each eye? Budget will be around 300, but willing to increase to 400-500 if it is more value for money. I am quite happy with my zoff lens, but its just that the frame keeps breaking. However I am open to better ones.

Also, I stay around eunos if it helps.

12sing34

Reaction score
ID is and still is the second highest tier lenses in hoya progressive lens right now, though it has been rename to mystyle profile.
As what user gardens3b mentioned, I do find it strange your astigmatism has changed like this. I also would recommend another second opinion.

Based on prescription wise, we see a difference mainly on the right eye, apart from the addition/laohua power of +0.25 more which is pretty normal.

I am not so sure how good is their prestige series but it’s not easy to match the comfort of the hoya ID/mystyle profile.

As I mentioned earlier too, frame size changes, the corridor given to you and other factors might affect. Go for the second opinion bro!

Thanks.
Any good place to look for Hoya lenses?
Near Buona Vista and can travel a bit.

ByStanders

Reaction score
Hi, I'm clueless about spectacles and, need helps with store recommendations for NS enlistment. I haven't yet do eye check up, my eyesight should be around 1000 degrees, -10.00 as the current spectacles I'm wearing is 800 degrees, -8.00.

Should I go Zoff, Owndays or neighborhood spectacle shops as I need it fast like within a month. :(:(

prease hwelp, I'm berry gong gong as I got chopped carrot before.

yang_nastyman

Reaction score
Any good shops in East area? Pasir ris / tampines preferably

Coming to 3rd year with my glasses, screws pop alot and have to manually fix it myself

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey, usually if you have high prescription, and it’s just for NS, Any normal shop like owndays and zoff might be the choice for you. Going to neighbourhood shops prices might actually be higher. So at least should it get damaged, the replacement cost not so “Chor”.

Hi, I'm clueless about spectacles and, need helps with store recommendations for NS enlistment. I haven't yet do eye check up, my eyesight should be around 1000 degrees, -10.00 as the current spectacles I'm wearing is 800 degrees, -8.00.

Should I go Zoff, Owndays or neighborhood spectacle shops as I need it fast like within a month. :(:(

prease hwelp, I'm berry gong gong as I got chopped carrot before.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Maybe Oakley might a good option. They have slim, thin frames that looks good. Prices about 200-300, look for the limit switch series or lizard.

Hi all,

Looking for lens/frame recommendations because my zoff frame broke thrice in 3 months.. I'm not too sure of my prescription, but I know that its not anything too serious. around 200-300 each eye? Budget will be around 300, but willing to increase to 400-500 if it is more value for money. I am quite happy with my zoff lens, but its just that the frame keeps breaking. However I am open to better ones.

Also, I stay around eunos if it helps.

Sweat100

Reaction score
I have decided to go for Silhouette rimless frames for single vision lens. Initially, I wanted to do Zeiss lens and I have been told by a spectacle shop in Queensway that I should be doing Hoya lens because they can do a better base curve for the lenses than Zeiss. This is because Zeiss lens is flatter and will not make the spectacle look "correct" with Silhouette. (FYI, the prescription is about -3.0 diopter)

The Hoya "Classic" (Nulux?) lens was quoted to be around $100 more than a Zeiss lens (both are 1.67). Is it true that Silhouette is better paired with Hoya lenses?

For single vision lenses, which brand and series is considered to be the better lens in the market? I do believe in optics is important. :D

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
If you prefer lenses that are more curve, yes hoya can do it better however It is not the nulux, instead it should be Hilux. Nulux is flatter as compared to hilux which is used usually for curved Oakley frames too.

Is your silhouette frame more curved? Do take note if the frames are naturally more curved it might take a few days of adjustment to the vision.

I have decided to go for Silhouette rimless frames for single vision lens. Initially, I wanted to do Zeiss lens and I have been told by a spectacle shop in Queensway that I should be doing Hoya lens because they can do a better base curve for the lenses than Zeiss. This is because Zeiss lens is flatter and will not make the spectacle look "correct" with Silhouette. (FYI, the prescription is about -3.0 diopter)

The Hoya "Classic" (Nulux?) lens was quoted to be around $100 more than a Zeiss lens (both are 1.67). Is it true that Silhouette is better paired with Hoya lenses?

For single vision lenses, which brand and series is considered to be the better lens in the market? I do believe in optics is important. :D

Sweat100

Reaction score
If you prefer lenses that are more curve, yes hoya can do it better however It is not the nulux, instead it should be Hilux. Nulux is flatter as compared to hilux which is used usually for curved Oakley frames too.

Is your silhouette frame more curved? Do take note if the frames are naturally more curved it might take a few days of adjustment to the vision.

I am looking at Silhouette frame Essence series, https://www.silhouette.com/en/optical-eyewear/essence/do/4540 they do not look very curved to me. Your idea on that?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hahah I think they will be. There are consequences if you use flatter lenses. It will cause the frame to widen up thus may not give you too much of the wrap around frame fit that you originally felt. Thus curved lens would come into the picture to enable that.

I am looking at Silhouette frame Essence series, https://www.silhouette.com/en/optical-eyewear/essence/do/4540 they do not look very curved to me. Your idea on that?

Sweat100

Reaction score
Hahah I think they will be. There are consequences if you use flatter lenses. It will cause the frame to widen up thus may not give you too much of the wrap around frame fit that you originally felt. Thus curved lens would come into the picture to enable that.

Ahh I see, didn't know that Silhouette look curved. My idea of curved are those aviation glasses. Thank you for helping out!

By the way, Hoya lenses cost more than Zeiss for this curvature?

Qwerty

Reaction score
Office Progressives?

Hi! I'm thinking of making office type progressives. Wondering if you folks here have any feedback on Zoff vs Owndays vs other shops.
Visited some shops but all they would say is that they can't comment and I have to try it out for myself to see if I like it.
I'm mainly concerned about the loss of peripheral clarity and if I can get used to it.
Thanks for your advice! :)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Office lenses works fine, I suggest going for Brands that works fine for the general population. Lenses like zeiss office lens or Hoya workstyle is fine. No matter there will be some small distortion but it’s inevitable.

Hi! I'm thinking of making office type progressives. Wondering if you folks here have any feedback on Zoff vs Owndays vs other shops.
Visited some shops but all they would say is that they can't comment and I have to try it out for myself to see if I like it.
I'm mainly concerned about the loss of peripheral clarity and if I can get used to it.
Thanks for your advice! :)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
That depends if you lenses is exposed to UV. If your window pane is uv protected then no it will not turn dark.
If not then unfortunately it will turn darker.

If indoors lighting too bright will cause transition to turn black as well?

MBoI1986

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wanna make a specs.
But not sure what to choose. But probably have transition and PC protection together with progressive lens.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.