[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beyond_26

Reaction score
Thanks. Mine don’t have the label. Only showing master and surge. So NAS to master, non essential to surge. Got it.

sAhtjBs.jpg

It is labelled quite clearly which sockets are for.

Mains to the the INPUT, and NAS to the battery backup C13 ports. 3 of them in the picture I have showed above. You see what is for yours.

beyond_26

Reaction score
And if I want to keep router and ont power on during trip, I connect to master and not surge. Correct?

zulthezookeeper

Reaction score
If the is personal NAS, why would you want to run it 24x7 and waste power. Chances is you only use it certain productive hours only.

Thats how my friend set up anyway. When needed, WOL protocol will start up the NAS thru router.
So NAS device only use little power for logic to standby in case of wake up signal arrived.

It's noisy for mine to run 24x7. At night it scares my cat with all the HDD spindle. Sensitive cat.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And if I want to keep router and ont power on during trip, I connect to master and not surge. Correct?

Correct. If you don't have enough sockets, just get a powerstrip where you can easily remove the G-type plug (save some wire clipping). After that, go to Sim Lim Square buy a C14 socket, which can easily replace the G-type plug. That will allow you to have normal G-type sockets available for all your devices that you want to have UPS. However take note on your total power consumption all the UPS. Each UPS has a rated. Too much will deplete the battery even if your mains is supplying power. :)

Have been doing this on my APC CS650 for a few years, to power my wireless router, switch, and ONT. When the NAS is shutting down because of main power lost, I will still receive notification when the NAS is shutting down.

beyond_26

Reaction score
Thanks. That’s a great idea. I think this will do the job right?

https://shopee.sg/product/272082816/5638702363?smtt=0.0.9

Correct. If you don't have enough sockets, just get a powerstrip where you can easily remove the G-type plug (save some wire clipping). After that, go to Sim Lim Square buy a C14 socket, which can easily replace the G-type plug. That will allow you to have normal G-type sockets available for all your devices that you want to have UPS. However take note on your total power consumption all the UPS. Each UPS has a rated. Too much will deplete the battery even if your mains is supplying power. :)

Have been doing this on my APC CS650 for a few years, to power my wireless router, switch, and ONT. When the NAS is shutting down because of main power lost, I will still receive notification when the NAS is shutting down.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this was asked before, but what will happen if you replace the hard drive with SSD if the NAS does not explicitly mentioned support for SSD? I am currently using a DS218Play, which does not support SSD.

BadEnglish

Reaction score
I am not sure if this was asked before, but what will happen if you replace the hard drive with SSD if the NAS does not explicitly mentioned support for SSD? I am currently using a DS218Play, which does not support SSD.

You can but not rebuilding RAID unless it's same capacity.

It's same as using 2.5 inch HD

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No issue. My office uses full SSD on a 920+

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
what is the most secure way to set up a static LAN IP address and access from the internet?

darkest_matter

Reaction score
Hi All,

My 6yr old DS416Play suddenly just died earlier today. I have checked the power brick and the LED light is still active when plugged into the wall socket, but the NAS enclosure is entirely dead.

Is there anywhere I can get it checked and repaired in SG?

virtuoso88

Reaction score
I have had two 4 bay synology in the last 10 years. both have broken down and I am not sure how to extract the old data. harddisk might be working. anyway visited memoryworld and I am supposed to buy a new NAS of the same brand and then move the hdd over. anyway two failed in last 10 years....

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have had two 4 bay synology in the last 10 years. both have broken down and I am not sure how to extract the old data. harddisk might be working. anyway visited memoryworld and I am supposed to buy a new NAS of the same brand and then move the hdd over. anyway two failed in last 10 years....
You can't expect the NAS to last forever!

Either you use till NAS kaput or refresh your NAS with new one and new HDD a few years down the road.

For Synology, get a new one of same number or more bay and slot in HDD same sequence as previous without data loss.

My usage history:
DS212J >>> DS414 >>> DS418

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.