The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried this online test https://myvisionprofile.zeiss.com/#intro and it recommended zeiss smartlife

1) what is the price range?
2) is smartlife under single vision, digital lens or something else?
3) what's the differences between working lens and digital lens?

seems like this is the latest lens from zeiss and the best in the market so far. Dont think hoya has any similar to match at the moment? From website, seems to indicate only in the market beginning of this year, not sure if sg mkt has it already? Used to be a firm hoya fan. Might switch to zeiss fan soon..

Seems like its all in one type. Got single vision, digital and progressive as well.

Need expert advice. Even my top tier individual SV lens bought 5 yrs ago also seem outdated by the new smartlife individual SV liao. Jin cham. Old one never take into account digital life. Sianz half.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I refitted an Ang mo using smart life with zeiss single vision. No problem. Can’t see any difference at all. So..... if you have no issue with your glasses maybe not need do anything or stick to same?

It’s subjective. Better for individual with high power, Low power usually won’t feel much difference.

seems like this is the latest lens from zeiss and the best in the market so far. Dont think hoya has any similar to match at the moment? From website, seems to indicate only in the market beginning of this year, not sure if sg mkt has it already? Used to be a firm hoya fan. Might switch to zeiss fan soon..

Seems like its all in one type. Got single vision, digital and progressive as well.

Need expert advice. Even my top tier individual SV lens bought 5 yrs ago also seem outdated by the new smartlife individual SV liao. Jin cham. Old one never take into account digital life. Sianz half.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Well, if you are comfortable with the price, and alright with 0 servicing if you frame spoils when using then I believe it’s alright to buy online.

Cons of online is that you don’t get any frame warranty should you go to any optical shop. The shop might service your frame e.g. clean and all on goodwill basis but when it comes to adjustment, it’s at your own risk. Shop will not shoulder any responsibilities should that happen.
Pros, probably cheaper than outside.

Honestly a lot of shop carries the brand haha.. so I can’t really pinpoint. Maybe you can look around in this forum whereby we posted quite a number of places to visit.

Silhouette full-rim seems really thin n light too ...

Which shop carries the most extensive range for Silhouette?

www.smartbuyglasses.com.sg - how this site? safe to buy from them?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I refitted an Ang mo using smart life with zeiss single vision. No problem. Can’t see any difference at all. So..... if you have no issue with your glasses maybe not need do anything or stick to same?

It’s subjective. Better for individual with high power, Low power usually won’t feel much difference.

U have the price list for 1.74 zeiss smartlife RX lens? Mind to share?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sure. When I reach work I will let you know.

I suppose smartlife lens would be more expensive than individual right? Assuming from the way u said not much visual difference, maybe a marketing technique to upgrade and put a premium to it? Looks like consolidate functions into a single design then slowly phase out the existing office lens, digital lens, SV lens etc? This new smartlife lens supposed to do everything, like customisable, can make your eyes less tired, far intermediate near zones all covered like that.

Hoya dont have similar universal lens yet right?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wondering whether this new smartlife lens require any minimum lens height like progressive lens or not? What is the standard minimum height lens for progressives? I have couple of frames which are about 29-30mm frame height only, not sure if they can be fitted in future or not.

Worried becos all my frames quite expensive and dont wanna waste them. Younger time impulse buy for collection. Now scared liao.

ke3bbs

Reaction score
May I know the average prices of single vision lenses in terms of brands? There are too many brands out there and normally will just go for the cheapest...but want to know the differences on the types of lenses.

seikatsu

Reaction score
Looking for a reputable shop located in the east.
Any reccs for digital lens and also generally good frames?
My degree should be <300. Budget <$500
Thanks in advance!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I suppose smartlife lens would be more expensive than individual right? Assuming from the way u said not much visual difference, maybe a marketing technique to upgrade and put a premium to it? Looks like consolidate functions into a single design then slowly phase out the existing office lens, digital lens, SV lens etc? This new smartlife lens supposed to do everything, like customisable, can make your eyes less tired, far intermediate near zones all covered like that.

Hoya dont have similar universal lens yet right?

Nulux V+ is their version. It is Double Aspheric as compared to the other big brands in the market. Zeiss isnt. Nulux V+ also requires those values.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking for a reputable shop located in the east.
Any reccs for digital lens and also generally good frames?
My degree should be <300. Budget <$500
Thanks in advance!

Jamco Optical might be a good place for you to drop by. Do make an appt before going down.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
May I know the average prices of single vision lenses in terms of brands? There are too many brands out there and normally will just go for the cheapest...but want to know the differences on the types of lenses.

Zeiss 165 onwards
Hoya(sub brand Pentax 80 onwards Stellify 110 onwards) Hoya HVLL 220 onwards
Essilor 180 onwards

Difference is the durability of coating, Clarity and cost. There are more to it but in general, it's this 3 Cs.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Zeiss 165 onwards
Hoya(sub brand Pentax 80 onwards Stellify 110 onwards) Hoya HVLL 220 onwards
Essilor 180 onwards

Difference is the durability of coating, Clarity and cost. There are more to it but in general, it's this 3 Cs.

Looks like zeiss is the cheapest and most advanced in R&D now..

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Just wondering whether this new smartlife lens require any minimum lens height like progressive lens or not? What is the standard minimum height lens for progressives? I have couple of frames which are about 29-30mm frame height only, not sure if they can be fitted in future or not.

Worried becos all my frames quite expensive and dont wanna waste them. Younger time impulse buy for collection. Now scared liao.

Yes, those measurements are required. For single vision usage no problem. For progressives, 29-30mm is too narrow. Generally, 40mm would be good. For narrow frames, probably only short corridor progressive would be able to fit.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
660 for single vision smart life 1.74 with blue
760 for single vision individual 1.74 with blue.

U have the full list?

As in smartlife digital and smartlife progressive do they cost the same? Without blue also $660?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.