The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I always preferred hoya. Based on my customer feedbacks. But to be on a safe side, I would say it’s highly subjective��.

You can think of it this way, if this shop sells zeiss more, of course zeiss is the best, if hoya, then hoya best. You get the drift right?

I believe myself to be very fair in lens feedback thus I am not biased towards any. But I feel nulux v+ is the best for me thus far. I won’t argue with others who find essilor is better, Asahi is better, tokai is better or zeiss is better because I know ultimately, it’s the own user comfort. If I am happy I pay 1000 for a lens ok that’s good. If I am happy I paid 100 for a similar lens, I also feel good. What is your happiness or satisfaction determined by? We all have different level of acceptance or tolerance, thus if I find hoya good, you might think otherwise and prefer zeiss.

Edit:i never filter through and just typed what came to me. Apologies in advance for any grammatical or poor word structure hahah

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oops, I forgot to add, zeiss smartlife individual 1.74 would cost that amount.

Sorry this zeiss a bit confusing. So you mean for up to any power, smartlife individual 1.74 costs $760? Smartlife digital also have individual right, slightly more ex?

I remember few years ago individual SV already $1k+ if i am not wrong.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Individual comes either as a single vision or as a progressive.

Smart life single vision individual is not the same as single vision individual.

As Long as its smartlife it will be more ex than the counterpart.

Single vision individual was never so expensive unless you meant the progressive which is individual 2. 1k plus is it add transition and all? But even with discount shouldn’t be so ex.

Sorry this zeiss a bit confusing. So you mean for up to any power, smartlife individual 1.74 costs $760? Smartlife digital also have individual right, slightly more ex?

I remember few years ago individual SV already $1k+ if i am not wrong.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Targeting the smartlife digital SV individual if less than $800. I think the hoya eqaivalent is hoya active.

My current hoya EP nulux already costed $700 but not serving me well anymore becos no digital aspect to make eyes less tired. Nowadays after 40yrs old eyes getting more tired than when im in my 30s.

After looking at both hoya and zeiss website, looks like zeiss more updated wity smartlife lens.

Nulux V+ more for 20s like yourselves whose eyes still strong...

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Then you should look at sync 3 instead if you want hoya, or eyezen boost for essilor. What zeiss have, other Brand’s have similar too.

Sync3, eyezen, relax all are digital lenses

Targeting the smartlife digital SV individual if less than $800. I think the hoya eqaivalent is hoya active.

My current hoya EP nulux already costed $700 but not serving me well anymore becos no digital aspect to make eyes less tired. Nowadays after 40yrs old eyes getting more tired than when im in my 30s.

After looking at both hoya and zeiss website, looks like zeiss more updated wity smartlife lens.

Nulux V+ more for 20s like yourselves whose eyes still strong...

Alibeckham

Reaction score
If my degree is about 450 to 500.. and looking for transition lense.. would 1.6 index consider okay? Or recommended to pay more for 1.64 onwards?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh, 1.6 is surely fine. The next level up is 1.67 then 1.74. I wouldn’t recommend 1.74.

1.67 is if you really want it thinner and lighter.

If my degree is about 450 to 500.. and looking for transition lense.. would 1.6 index consider okay? Or recommended to pay more for 1.64 onwards?

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh, 1.6 is surely fine. The next level up is 1.67 then 1.74. I wouldn’t recommend 1.74.

1.67 is if you really want it thinner and lighter.

Due to diminishing returns? How about higher power like 700+, or is choosing a smaller, rounder frame more helpful in reducing thickness?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are right.
Due to the reducing the myopic rings, diminishing effect thus a smaller rounder frame would be recommended. But some due to aesthetic reasons prefer larger frame, but they will be warned beforehand of the thickness.

There are more unique lenses for high cases of myopia e.g. myopia lenticular lenses but.... I think you Google the image and see if you like it.

Due to diminishing returns? How about higher power like 700+, or is choosing a smaller, rounder frame more helpful in reducing thickness?

onizuka3

Reaction score
Well, if you are comfortable with the price, and alright with 0 servicing if you frame spoils when using then I believe it’s alright to buy online.

Cons of online is that you don’t get any frame warranty should you go to any optical shop. The shop might service your frame e.g. clean and all on goodwill basis but when it comes to adjustment, it’s at your own risk. Shop will not shoulder any responsibilities should that happen.
Pros, probably cheaper than outside.

Honestly a lot of shop carries the brand haha.. so I can’t really pinpoint. Maybe you can look around in this forum whereby we posted quite a number of places to visit.
last time when I asked my usual opticians, they tell me frame alone 600+ :s22:

what's the price for tokai blue light filter lens?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Jialak lar if add laohua how? Frame cannot too small must have 40mm height as what our bro here recommended. High power plus laohua die liao. Both small or large frame also die. Too small cant see. Too big the lens too thick.

But i think smartlife lens are customisable thus can reduce thickness gao gao right? My current frame is 55mm wide with 40mm height. Individual zeiss lens made until thickness can be covered by the frame. Im also quite surprised. Usually my lens always protrude out a few mm if use standard lens. So far have not tried hoya customised lens so dont know the result.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Follow what your trusted practitioner recommend you. Relakkk la

I think for me i can only choose those personalized tailored lens. Reduce thickness to minimum and have good distance, intermediate and near vision. But i expect them to be expensive no matter which brand. Have to save $ for at least 2 years then can consider hoot one liao. Last time can hoot a few pairs and then switch depending on my mood. Now can only choose carefully one frame and one customised lens for optimum performance. Become a one-spec guy liao. All the rest of my spectacle frames have to retire keep as antiques in my cabinet liao. Sad.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Jialak lar if add laohua how? Frame cannot too small must have 40mm height as what our bro here recommended. High power plus laohua die liao. Both small or large frame also die. Too small cant see. Too big the lens too thick.

But i think smartlife lens are customisable thus can reduce thickness gao gao right? My current frame is 55mm wide with 40mm height. Individual zeiss lens made until thickness can be covered by the frame. Im also quite surprised. Usually my lens always protrude out a few mm if use standard lens. So far have not tried hoya customised lens so dont know the result.

Actually I did mention if high power and using narrow frame just need to use short corridor. It’s not a die die just use big frame.
Not only Individual make the lens thinner, as Long as the lenses is RX it can be tailored to be thinner as the lab will be sent the dimensions of the frame to adjust for optimal thickness(likely this wasn’t told to you). E.g. even single vision superb, essilor crizal RX or even normal Brands can do that as Long as it is RX. If you use nulux V+ which is double aspheric, it will be even thinner. Honestly seannie, zeiss is not like the past anymore whereby they were/was the best. Other Brand’s have caught up.it depends on whether you would like to give them a chance.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Why so expensive one hahaha. Silhouettes not that expensive unless you were shown the pricey series. The normal ones around 400ish.

last time when I asked my usual opticians, they tell me frame alone 600+ :s22:

what's the price for tokai blue light filter lens?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.