The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Darkshadows

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Previously I got replacement lenses for my specs for $90 a pair (1.74 index) at owndays. They install for free on my specs.

Anyone know of any other spectacle shops that replace lenses and how much a pair (1.74 index)? Is there any shop that sells transition lens at 1.74 index?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It’s honestly hard to match owndays prices.

You are looking at minimally 170-180 onwards.. with transition probably above 230-240.

Previously I got replacement lenses for my specs for $90 a pair (1.74 index) at owndays. They install for free on my specs.

Anyone know of any other spectacle shops that replace lenses and how much a pair (1.74 index)? Is there any shop that sells transition lens at 1.74 index?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Due to diminishing returns? How about higher power like 700+, or is choosing a smaller, rounder frame more helpful in reducing thickness?

Yes, you are right.
Due to the reducing the myopic rings, diminishing effect thus a smaller rounder frame would be recommended. But some due to aesthetic reasons prefer larger frame, but they will be warned beforehand of the thickness.

There are more unique lenses for high cases of myopia e.g. myopia lenticular lenses but.... I think you Google the image and see if you like it.

I think what crystalnox means is law of diminishing returns haha.
reason why we recommend 1.67 because for your power, it is not 'high' enough to warrant us pushing for 1.74. But of course, if you want the thinnest lenses, you are free to go for 1.74 :) Will definitely be thinner by a little but probably not by much.

rainydays

Reaction score
Hi, anyone knows roughly how much does a pair of hoya 1.67 lenses cost?
The clear & flatter kind.
I'm currently wearing these for 2 years but cannot rmb how much it costs & the details.
Thinking of getting new ones soon.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
😅😅😅😅 :s34: m

I think what crystalnox means is law of diminishing returns haha.
reason why we recommend 1.67 because for your power, it is not 'high' enough to warrant us pushing for 1.74. But of course, if you want the thinnest lenses, you are free to go for 1.74 :) Will definitely be thinner by a little but probably not by much.

tjieming

Reaction score
It’s honestly hard to match owndays prices.

You are looking at minimally 170-180 onwards.. with transition probably above 230-240.

May I know whats the cons of using Owndays lenses?

My Owndays lens coating is starting to get scratched/worn out after 1 year of use and I'm debating between replacing my lenses or switching to another spectacles.

One main problem with my current spectacles is that it keeps slipping on my nose bridge and I get red marks and discomfort after longer wear.
Any recommendations to solve this problem?

Thank you.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
One of the cons is mentioned by yourself already. Which is the durability of the lens coating.

If the frame is uncomfortable then maybe it’s also a good timing to change a whole new pair.

Perhaps some slight adjustment to the nosepads will do the trick. However, as long as we are wearing frames with those silicon/plastic nosepads, bound to have some slight indentation but if it’s red, maybe too tight or wrong angle of rest.

I would recommend silicon nosepads. They feels more comfortable.

May I know whats the cons of using Owndays lenses?

My Owndays lens coating is starting to get scratched/worn out after 1 year of use and I'm debating between replacing my lenses or switching to another spectacles.

One main problem with my current spectacles is that it keeps slipping on my nose bridge and I get red marks and discomfort after longer wear.
Any recommendations to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I did mention if high power and using narrow frame just need to use short corridor. It’s not a die die just use big frame.
Not only Individual make the lens thinner, as Long as the lenses is RX it can be tailored to be thinner as the lab will be sent the dimensions of the frame to adjust for optimal thickness(likely this wasn’t told to you). E.g. even single vision superb, essilor crizal RX or even normal Brands can do that as Long as it is RX. If you use nulux V+ which is double aspheric, it will be even thinner. Honestly seannie, zeiss is not like the past anymore whereby they were/was the best. Other Brand’s have caught up.it depends on whether you would like to give them a chance.

Seriously i dont know. I thought zeiss and hoya are still the 2 best lens brand now. Last time got AO, seiko and nikon but all bought over by the Big 3 liao.

Didnt know RX they can make it as thin as individualized lens. Thought nulux EP is at best half-customization only, meaning free form but still not as thin as full customization. Maybe u can help check or confirm on this part. Because when i compare zeiss ID 1.74 SV its thinner than my other pairs of 1.67 nulux EP (double aspheric).

I thought narrow corridor means hard to adapt? Use fully customised lens means i can use any frame size without worry of corridor length liao right? I read website say can fit into any frame size woh. Unless website talk crap lar i duno.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Seriously i dont know. I thought zeiss and hoya are still the 2 best lens brand now. Last time got AO, seiko and nikon but all bought over by the Big 3 liao.

Didnt know RX they can make it as thin as individualized lens. Thought nulux EP is at best half-customization only, meaning free form but still not as thin as full customization. Maybe u can help check or confirm on this part. Because when i compare zeiss ID 1.74 SV its thinner than my other pairs of 1.67 nulux EP (double aspheric).

I thought narrow corridor means hard to adapt? Use fully customised lens means i can use any frame size without worry of corridor length liao right? I read website say can fit into any frame size woh. Unless website talk crap lar i duno.

You already say 1.74 index compared to 1.67. If you want to compare, do a 1.67 to a 1.67 :).

Website confirm cannot be talk crap one lar i know for sure, probably comprehending it is the issue. If we don't study the subject, not in the field and no one to explain to you well, confirm misread between the lines. Sometimes best is to ask from you local practitioner, they will be willing to give you a good explanation of progressives.

Corridor are given by practitioner like us to the patients like yourself(if you are using progressive).
Long Corridor/Regular Corridor, the power drops from distance zone to reading zone is more gradual.
Short Corridor, The power drop from distance zone to reading zone is faster e.g. Eye scrolling up and down to do the reading.

Hopefully this video link will give you a better idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O1Jfax-0QQ

It's fitted according to your needs. The Lenses design e.g. individual 2, precision superb, precision pure can be chosen and fitted with different corridors. That is why choosing a Proper frame is recommended rather than choosing a fancy looking one.

Any qns not sure can ask as usual, i will try my best to explain. Again these large company website usually lar, usuallyyyy wont wrong one bah.

Edit:i double checked with my hoya supplier. Nulux EP is Double aspheric Thinnest, but not customizable. Nulux V+ is Spherical, but customizable. Thus i mentioned in many earlier post that nulux V+ and nulux EP was DAL, Nope, only Nulux EP.
Also it's termed as long and short corridor or even ultra short. Narrow corridor means basic progressives/entry level. Wide and narrow corridor of course have varying price. So as i always mentioned, you pay for what you get.

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok so means 1.74 (single aspheric) still thinner than 1.67 (even double aspheric design) right?

Nux V+ is spherical and customizable, but still thicker than nulux EP, lets say comparing same index?

So customisable actually helps to make lens thinner also right?

Nulux V+ more expensive than Zeiss Individual?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
1.74 no matter is thinner than 1.67 unless your 1.74 take a huge frame compared to a small size 1.67. Even if DAS also 1.67 will be thicker than a 1.74 if you put 2 lenses on same frame.

Nulux v+ is spherical but fully customisable.
Nulux EP is DAL but Not fully customisable.

Honestly if you ask me I would say, it does make a difference but again to those not so sensitive eyes, really is see no difference like me haha.

I cnt remember the price offhand since I am off today. I can share more with you tomorrow.(my last day of work 😅)

Ok so means 1.74 (single aspheric) still thinner than 1.67 (even double aspheric design) right?

Nux V+ is spherical and customizable, but still thicker than nulux EP, lets say comparing same index?

So customisable actually helps to make lens thinner also right?

Nulux V+ more expensive than Zeiss Individual?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If nulux V+ is spherical, i assume hoya individualized progressive (hoyalux mystyle) also spherical?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually cannot. but for you sure can! :s13::s13:
Make sure you enter the shop shout loud loud "GANGSTERKIA!" Maybe even more discount

serious. If gimme at least 30% off RRP, i will bring my antique frames and refit them all with 1.74 zeiss smartlife.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.