[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My 1st Synology NAS DS916+ bought in 2016 the SATA adapter board printed DS412.
Not sure is it using old parts or been swapped by retailers.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My 1st Synology NAS DS916+ bought in 2016 the SATA adapter board printed DS412.
Not sure is it using old parts or been swapped by retailers.

Actually I saw the same thing for my ds416 play

I just want to buy the part but can't find end up buying ds916 plus

Else can save money . Hardly turn on the nas these days except Friday evenings to Monday mornings

If can hack the Asus AC-88U router to install Medusa and YouTube-dl with a USB 3 hard diskI can probably retire the nas also.

Posted from PCWX using Mi 9T

sgtiarella

Reaction score
No it can't. The cheapest UPS I saw that can talk with our NAS is around 5-6x more expensive.

What are the UPS available locally that can talk to NAS? Anybody?

I just need the UPS to be able to tell the NAS to enter Safe Mode in X minutes after power failure.

I know APC Smarts UPS 750 can do it but it costs around $700 which is overkill for home use.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What are the UPS available locally that can talk to NAS? Anybody?

I just need the UPS to be able to tell the NAS to enter Safe Mode in X minutes after power failure.

I know APC Smarts UPS 750 can do it but it costs around $700 which is overkill for home use.

Why do you need to buy APC smart UPS 750 when APC CS650 can do the same thing :)
https://www.lazada.sg/products/apc-back-ups-cs-650va-230v-asean-bk650-as-i127212487-s143347993.html

Visit challenger@bugis or call them up, they might have stock too :)

When the sealed acid lead battery depleted over time, head over to unicell@sim lim square to get a 3rd party replacement.

Last edited:

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to buy APC smart UPS 750 when APC CS650 can do the same thing :)
https://www.lazada.sg/products/apc-back-ups-cs-650va-230v-asean-bk650-as-i127212487-s143347993.html

When the sealed acid lead battery depleted over time, head over to unicell@sim lim square to get a 3rd party replacement.

the 3rd party battery replacement roughly how much? i got one old apc ups i think use rbc6 battery model, don't know if the ups still working or not but the battery sure need to replace... :s13::s13:

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the 3rd party battery replacement roughly how much? i got one old apc ups i think use rbc6 battery model, don't know if the ups still working or not but the battery sure need to replace... :s13::s13:

Mine is RBC17. I got it for 40++, just call up unicell@sim lim can ask for quote. :)

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

last time only <100 when i purchased it, the battery died i couldn't find the replacement so i threw the entire thing away.

greatest mistake for not looking hard enough.

zulthezookeeper

Reaction score

Hijacking a little, how do you deal with the electric hum from their UPS? Mine is driving me nuts.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hijacking a little, how do you deal with the electric hum from their UPS? Mine is driving me nuts.

I don’t detect any humming sound even when it is dead silent at night, all doors close with only the aircon running. I have 2x APC CS650.

Here is a link to a recording I just did. Will expire in a month’s time
https://mega.nz/file/DD5FgYpa#MdRi-9_qcgTWsYHv4IR3rqeErng1_efwAD27AU_VCOw

I recorded it using an iPhone 11 Pro Max just centimetres away, and normally the smartphone mic pickup is very sensitive. The ambient you heard in the recording is basically almost to none detected by my ears.

:)

Last edited:

lightzly

Reaction score
Sometimes, it's the vibration from the fan or uneven surface. Mine also have humming, but the humming lessen when I press on certain area on top of the nas.

darkest_matter

Reaction score
Hi All,

My 6yr old DS416Play suddenly just died earlier today. I have checked the power brick and the LED light is still active when plugged into the wall socket, but the NAS enclosure is entirely dead.

Is there anywhere I can get it checked and repaired in SG?

hmm...so does anyone know/can recommend any local repair shops? I am on a RAID5 and pondering if I should just buy a new NAS since repairing will likely cost ~$200+(whilst not knowing how long it will last) while a new one is $500+(DS418)?

Will I be able to move the HDDs over to the new NAS?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm...so does anyone know/can recommend any local repair shops? I am on a RAID5 and pondering if I should just buy a new NAS since repairing will likely cost ~$200+(whilst not knowing how long it will last) while a new one is $500+(DS418)?

Will I be able to move the HDDs over to the new NAS?

Yes, you can. Be sure to slot in the same sequence as previous NAS.

darkest_matter

Reaction score
I spoke to synology support, seems like my model does not support HDD migration so I will have to insert 1 new disk and install new DSM, before inserting the 3 old HDD and rebuild the storage pool.

How do I insert them in the same sequence in this case?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I spoke to synology support, seems like my model does not support HDD migration so I will have to insert 1 new disk and install new DSM, before inserting the 3 old HDD and rebuild the storage pool.

How do I insert them in the same sequence in this case?

No detail from you about your NAS and HDD configuration. I assumed you got 4 HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.