Desktop 2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread VI [consolidated]

Zoooom

Reaction score
Hi, I tried to figure it out but couldn't. How do you connect the Edifier R1280 to T5?

hellpiggy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

im currently in the process of upgrading my desktop audio , having plans to bring in a set of Topping L30 AMP + E30 DAC for my headphones (with source coming from PC).

Was wondering what would be a good option to upgrade from my trusty Creative T15 wireless speakers - was initially looking at the Presonus Eris 3.5 BT speakers, but i do have budget to go for more. Will be using this mainly for listening to music and gaming

Anything at 5 inches and above would be overkill in terms of my needs and as well as deskspace. Have seen a couple of recommends ( audioengine hd3 or a2+, kanto yu4 or yu, monkey banana gibbon air, JBL 104 BT) - ideally something with at least a volume knob in front.)

Higher priority to locally available sets with covered warranty and also to have a listen before buying (but so far in my limited exp ,speakers dont really spoil so maybe you guys can give me advice on this)

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, go down to Swee Lee at Star Vista and see? They got edifiers, adam audio and krk there..
AF1QipPu6CXqhu7n3WCIOIEizEX_OJDJ91F5JXmDZHXS=w824-h1470

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, I tried to figure it out but couldn't. How do you connect the Edifier R1280 to T5?

If you want to retain the use of the digital inputs of the r1280db, you can try to use 2 sets of speaker cables, to connect the left channel output (on the right speaker) into both the left speaker of the r1280db and the subwoofer.

AFAIK, low end information tends to be mono, aka, the same on left and right channel.

hellpiggy

Reaction score
Hmm, go down to Swee Lee at Star Vista and see? They got edifiers, adam audio and krk there..
AF1QipPu6CXqhu7n3WCIOIEizEX_OJDJ91F5JXmDZHXS=w824-h1470
thanks for the reference, that's a start

other than swee lee, are there other stores like it that carry a few well known studio monitors/ speakers that i can go down to check out? i assume there are some at adelphi?

on another note- a technical question, say if i got the topping E30 dac and L30 amp - to connect to active monitors/speakers - should i connect out from the E30 dac or should connect out from L30?

conventional wisdom says no need amp for active speakers but i believe the L30 has a pre-amp config that i can switch to for the speakers (would it make a difference?). also correct me if im wrong - with that config, i can use the L30 volume knob to control the speaker's volume as well?

Last edited:

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

nod32fan

Reaction score
It looks like there is a Bluetooth 5.0 version of the R1850DB in Challenger

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yup. Probably why the older bluetooth versions are sold at discount prices.

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
atlas at funan carries kef powered speakers. absolute sound carries naim powered stuff. there's also dynaudio near the entrance of adelphi, can't rem the shop name it's on the right, just before the escalator.

petetherock

Reaction score
atlas at funan carries kef powered speakers. absolute sound carries naim powered stuff. there's also dynaudio near the entrance of adelphi, can't rem the shop name it's on the right, just before the escalator.
Is it
AV one ?

CorosIve

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using Logitech z623 now

Looking to upgrade to AudioEngine A5+

any A5+ users here?

Dhitto

Reaction score
Via the L30.

The E30 into the L30, which can switch over to pre-amp mode and connect out to your actives.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking for a pair of bookshelf speaker for online music in my study room; mainly in jazz, classical, instrumental and internet radio. The speakers will be connected to a stereo receiver (which I’m still researching).

Due to space constraint, the speakers has to be small in size. I have been researching on Wharfedale 220, Elac debut 5.2 and the Mission LX2. However, I still prefer the size to be smaller than these. Any suggestion?

-Sora-

Reaction score
Looking for a pair of bookshelf speaker for online music in my study room; mainly in jazz, classical, instrumental and internet radio. The speakers will be connected to a stereo receiver (which I’m still researching).

Due to space constraint, the speakers has to be small in size. I have been researching on Wharfedale 220, Elac debut 5.2 and the Mission LX2. However, I still prefer the size to be smaller than these. Any suggestion?

Personal pref, I really don't like wharfedale 220, too bland and veiled sounding, like you take off the grill and it still sounds like got 2-3 grills in between u and the singer, very poor vocal performance imo.

Tried Elac 6.2, it somehow sounds flat and bright at the same time. For nearfield use it was too bright for me and imaging was poor, unsure if its the same for 5.2.

I've not tried Mission LX-2 so will not comment.

I rec trying Triangle BR02, Monitor Audio Bronze 50, PSB P3(if u need really small). QAcoustics are also pretty popular but have not tried.

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score

With small speakers, it's more a question of how low do you want to forgo? :D

It's a nearfield desktop, put beside PC monitor set up? No subwoofer planned?
Are you looking for something for background music? Or more critical listening that requires higher fidelity speakers (aka more accurate music playback)? Budget?

Can start with checking out Edifier r1280db, it goes low enough, cheap enough, and is still good quality as a 2.0 setup. Unless it's important for you to have the stereo receiver?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.