[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulthezookeeper

Reaction score
I don’t detect any humming sound even when it is dead silent at night, all doors close with only the aircon running. I have 2x APC CS650.

Here is a link to a recording I just did. Will expire in a month’s time
https://mega.nz/file/DD5FgYpa#MdRi-9_qcgTWsYHv4IR3rqeErng1_efwAD27AU_VCOw

I recorded it using an iPhone 11 Pro Max just centimetres away, and normally the smartphone mic pickup is very sensitive. The ambient you heard in the recording is basically almost to none detected by my ears.

:)

I can hear a slight hum! It’s the electric hum I think. Read online about this existing in most transformers. The 60Hz form our mains supply contributes to this.

Sometimes, it's the vibration from the fan or uneven surface. Mine also have humming, but the humming lessen when I press on certain area on top of the nas.

My Synology fan is louder lol.

At any rate, I’m interested to know how you guys store your UPS and Synology. In a closet with ventilation? Out in the open? I used to chuck mine in a closet till the HDD temps were high up. Granted, no ventilation.

karloil

Reaction score
At any rate, I’m interested to know how you guys store your UPS and Synology. In a closet with ventilation? Out in the open? I used to chuck mine in a closet till the HDD temps were high up. Granted, no ventilation.

Under the desk, open area. Very prone to dust. So I clean my NAS every other month.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any ways to prevent from corrosion?
My old DS916+ internal got rusty corrosion and is there a way to prevent for my DS920+..

karloil

Reaction score
Any ways to prevent from corrosion?

Only 2 ways I know of: 1. Paint metal part. 2. Coat metal part with oil (WD40). But I doubt you'll be doing both to the insides of your brand new NAS. So I think just let it be. It's not going to affect the fuctionality anyway - concept is very similar to old computer chassis.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What’s the best price for DS920+ nowadays?

My DS414 just died and I’m considering DS920+

SLS Pricelist I saw $741.

Else wait for 9.9 sales vouchers to bring down the price.
I got mine with Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB for $878.99 during 8.8 Sales.

You can check with one of the popular seller in HWZ and carousell, his price also competitive especially if you buying PWP.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only 2 ways I know of: 1. Paint metal part. 2. Coat metal part with oil (WD40). But I doubt you'll be doing both to the insides of your brand new NAS. So I think just let it be. It's not going to affect the fuctionality anyway - concept is very similar to old computer chassis.

mine is quite severe...those jumper pin on the back of motherboard can be break and become powdery.
But doesn't affect functionality so far.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just upgraded from 4x4tb to 4x12tb, but replacing a drive each time and completing the array after 4 rounds of rebuilding.

I wonder if there are any impacts to speed/stability in the long term vs rebuilding the 4x12tb from scratch?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just upgraded from 4x4tb to 4x12tb, but replacing a drive each time and completing the array after 4 rounds of rebuilding.

I wonder if there are any impacts to speed/stability in the long term vs rebuilding the 4x12tb from scratch?

none except for the long rebuilding.

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone know how to recover back deleted files from my syology drive? thanks.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
APC UPS with SYNOLOGY

Like to share my experience for those looking for a cheaper alternative UPS

APC-Back-UPS-700VA

For those who is looking for "not a white elephant battery" and cheaper alternative compared to what was discussed before. CS650. This is approximately <SGD$130, only 3 outlet (you can use a multiplug) and only 390W.

Product Technical Info
APC%20Back-UPS%20700VA.jpg

Link to buy from: APC-Back-UPS-700VA (Note: Type-A USB not included)

Connected to Synology with UPS PowerChute port (Type-A USB)
ybuCdvt.jpg

Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which app or settings to use in order for your smart TV to auto-detect and play movies from there?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which app or settings to use in order for your smart TV to auto-detect and play movies from there?

Depends on brand. Some.. just dlna will work fine.

Some you can install dsvideo and/or plex.

Ultimately is based on your preference. Plex makes reading show w subs more readable. DsVideo makes fast forward video more pleasant and also loads way faster than PLEX

sgtiarella

Reaction score
Can this UPS also do that Safe Mode thing on Synology NAS when power failure?

Like to share my experience for those looking for a cheaper alternative UPS

APC-Back-UPS-700VA

For those who is looking for "not a white elephant battery" and cheaper alternative compared to what was discussed before. CS650. This is approximately <SGD$130, only 3 outlet (you can use a multiplug) and only 390W.

Product Technical Info
APC%20Back-UPS%20700VA.jpg

Link to buy from: APC-Back-UPS-700VA (Note: Type-A USB not included)

Connected to Synology with UPS PowerChute port (Type-A USB)
ybuCdvt.jpg

loganrunning

Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised. popped a Toshiba N300 14TB into my DS418J (yes, i know it's not on the supported list, i just like living at the edge lol). Just to see if i would get any surprises, created a single volume on a SHR 1 drive pool. While verifying, i simultaneously am writing 7TB to it (encrypted share), and running an extended SMART. Normally, i see other drives take about 20-24 hours just to verify - this one just finished verifying after 4.5 hours. Writing and SMART are still in progress though. Given the load, am getting about 65-80MBps transfer speed.

Despite the work, it is running at 39'C vs the other 3 idle HGST 6TB at 45'C. Will push it for a few more days, before adding to array. Crossed fingers.....

sgtiarella

Reaction score
Oops... paiseh I didn't elaborate...
What I meant is the feature whereby when power failure occurs and UPS switches to battery mode, can the BX700U-MS send a signal to the Synology NAS telling the NAS to power down safely?
Seems like the BK650-AS can do that, according to some bros here.

This feature is for incase my house blackout while I'm out, I don't want to risk my HDD dying when the UPS runs dry.

What is a "safe mode thing"?

If you mean power down before battery flat, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.