Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

burn_rubber

Reaction score
Thanks for the links. Surfshark price also looks good..

Reviews seem to be positive, looks like another rising star after Surfshark.

Not so sure you can get price lower than Surfshark though, especially through referral code from this thread, through some kind of cash back. Personally I do not like this type of cash back services through referral though but that is just me.

weVPN reviews, vs NordVPN and Surfshark
https://monkeyprivacy.com/wevpn-review/
https://www.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/comments/fs4sr5/wevpn_worth_it/

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For netflix streaming (vpn deployed on router), which should I go? Surfshark or just go top tier Express?

Currently am on nord. On good days is buffer free even on 4K. On bad days, it will get stuck at 24%...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For netflix streaming (vpn deployed on router), which should I go? Surfshark or just go top tier Express?

Currently am on nord. On good days is buffer free even on 4K. On bad days, it will get stuck at 24%...

What is your router? Sometimes the router may play a part in the performance. Best is Asus RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U or similar, with Broadcom CPU optimized for VPN (good AES encryption performance).

Nord VPN is not known to be fast in Singapore. It is capable and stable but not so fast.

IMHO Surfshark may have some growth pain as it expands a bit too fast.

You may want to try Windscribe before going to ExpressVPN.

But nothing wrong to go directly to Express if you do not want to spend efforts to try other solutions.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is your router? Sometimes the router may play a part in the performance. Best is Asus RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U or similar, with Broadcom CPU optimized for VPN (good AES encryption performance).

Nord VPN is not known to be fast in Singapore. It is capable and stable but not so fast.

IMHO Surfshark may have some growth pain as it expands a bit too fast.

You may want to try Windscribe before going to ExpressVPN.

But nothing wrong to go directly to Express if you do not want to spend efforts to try other solutions.

I deployed the vpn currently on a spare gt-ac5300, that is behind another main router. Basically double nat with only the TV to this router.

Pity on the main router (ax11000) fusion vpn doesn't work else will just white list the TV to go thru vpn.

Yes I would say nord is decent but spotty at times.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I deployed the vpn currently on a spare gt-ac5300, that is behind another main router. Basically double nat with only the TV to this router.

Pity on the main router (ax11000) fusion vpn doesn't work else will just white list the TV to go thru vpn.

Yes I would say nord is decent but spotty at times.

I see. GT-AC5300 and GT-AX11000 have the powerful CPU with AES encryption acceleration. So the router is not the issue.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. GT-AC5300 and GT-AX11000 have the powerful CPU with AES encryption acceleration. So the router is not the issue.

Think may just go Expressvpn since they do have a smartdns function. Still looking for ways to get stable vpn + if possible get rid of the router.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think may just go Expressvpn since they do have a smartdns function. Still looking for ways to get stable vpn + if possible get rid of the router.

Yes, ExpressVPN is always a good choice. It should work on the main AX11000 router.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if ant ang mo access Expressvpn nvr goes wrong

if can wait wait black friday good deal

cannot wait pay n enjoy 1st

newfrog

Reaction score
Edit to add: I am paying for purevpn (US$11.88 for one year) and AJS 爱加速 China VPN.

Beware purevpn subscription is on auto-renewal and there is NO cancellation button when you login their website. I have one month to expiry and tried to cancel. You have to send a chat message request and they say someone will come back to me. No one contacted me yet after 1 week. If they still don't reply, will have to cancel or change my payment methods

I find them the most uneven in connectivity and speed, sometimes keep dropping, sometimes faster than the others but overall cmi

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beware purevpn subscription is on auto-renewal and there is NO cancellation button when you login their website. I have one month to expiry and tried to cancel. You have to send a chat message request and they say someone will come back to me. No one contacted me yet after 1 week. If they still don't reply, will have to cancel or change my payment methods

I find them the most uneven in connectivity and speed, sometimes keep dropping, sometimes faster than the others but overall cmi

Thanks for the reminder.

Most likely I would not renew with them after it expire in the end of this year.

I may give iVacy a try, just to play with it.

In reality other than AJS (China VPN) I do not really need any other VPNs.

I will continue to use Windscribe free and Astrill Android free, only for occasional public wifi usage.

And I will also continue exploring setting up Shadowsocks/V2Ray/Wireguard VPN on the free Google Cloud Tier. I was using them for China GFW bypassing during my Dec 2019 short trip to China. Unlikely I will travel out of Singapore this year...

Take note I do not use Netflix and I am mainly into Chinese Entertainment.

Last edited:

DonDonX

Reaction score
I'm planning to play WoW on US server and apparently there are some posts on reddit about people getting banned for using a VPN. I always thought it was safe

If i only plan to reduce my ping to <100, what is my best option?

TIA

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to play WoW on US server and apparently there are some posts on reddit about people getting banned for using a VPN. I always thought it was safe

If i only plan to reduce my ping to <100, what is my best option?

TIA

First thing, what is your ISP? Does the ISP accept routing optimization request?

Second thing, wtfast or killping seem to be popular among gamers, but they can only help a bit.

You can try asking around to see which ISP gives the best routing to the game server. That is probably more important than gaming VPNs. If none of them get below 100ms, then you can try wtfast or killping to see if that helps.

FYI some say M1 and Myrepublic have better routing than SingTel.

Last edited:

DonDonX

Reaction score
First thing, what is your ISP? Does the ISP accept routing optimization request?

Second thing, wtfast or killping seem to be popular among gamers, but they can only help a bit.

You can try asking around to see which ISP gives the best routing to the game server. That is probably more important than gaming VPNs. If none of them get below 100ms, then you can try wtfast or killping to see if that helps.

FYI some say M1 and Myrepublic have better routing than SingTel.

Thank you for your input. I just re-contracted with SingTel recently so i have ruled out the option of changing to a better ISP

I guess all i can do now is try using wtfast or killping to reduce the ping

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alternative to traditional VPN : SS, SSR, V2Ray, etc.

I am always amazed by the SpeedTest results of Chinese YouTubers.

Greater than 700Mbps out of 800Mbps Fibre Internet plan (China Unicom) using V2Ray under Windows (old Windows computer, not the latest fast computer). And actually 794Mbps using Soft Router (OpenWRT x86 based router ).

More speedtest data for SS/SSR/V2Ray providers. Usually they are not cheap though, and may not be that useful for Singapore users.
https://duyaoss.com/

Last edited:

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More speedtest data for SS/SSR/V2Ray providers. Usually they are not cheap though, and may not be that useful for Singapore users.
https://duyaoss.com/

i finds it quite cheap. i using in SG mainly for streams(US/China)
Screenshot-2020-09-14-at-10-56-03-AM.png

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i finds it quite cheap. i using in SG mainly for streams(US/China)
Screenshot-2020-09-14-at-10-56-03-AM.png

Good to know that.

Many of them did not seem to provide mainland China servers last time I checked. And those which provided mainland China servers were not cheap.

On the other hand, the traditional VPN is really very cheap now, often below US$2 per months (or less than US$1 if you use the referral code for Surfshark). Ivacy is even at US$40 for lifetime subscription.

Still the "going into China" VPN subscriptions (Transocks and AJS) are not that cheap. So it may make sense to use these SS/SSR/V2Ray providers for both US and China geo-blocked contents, replacing both the US VPN and China VPN.

But personally I still have doubts on the stability of these providers as there are many bad stories of them going MIA during sensitive times and the advice is to stick with bigger ones and use two of them for stability.

For now I will stick to AJS as I already paid one year subscription (RMB198 or about S$40 for one connection). Transocks is about RMB260 or S$52 per year for 3 connections.

Last edited:

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good to know that.

Many of them did not seem to provide mainland China servers last time I checked. And those which provided mainland China servers were not cheap.

On the other hand, the traditional VPN is really very cheap now, often below US$2 per months (or less than US$1 if you use the referral code for Surfshark).

Still the "going into China" VPN subscriptions (Transocks and AJS) are not that cheap. So it may make sense to use these SS/SSR/V2Ray providers for both US and China geo-blocked contents, replacing both the US VPN and China VPN.

But personally I still have doubts on the stability of these providers as there are many bad stories of them going MIA during sensitive times and the advice is to stick with bigger ones and use two of them for stability.

For now I will stick to AJS as I already paid one year subscription.

i guess thats the risk if u pick cheaper provider. even for the VPN
AJS/Transocks doesnt supports all features but they are using proxy as well

if u like to have total control/customize and scalability of your network. proxy was the winner now.
VPN mainly for beginners.

proxy needs a long learning curve and mainly..they only accept alipay/wechatpay.
which was why users mainly from china, hk, tw

not alot has china servers now due to high risk.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For now I will stick to AJS as I already paid one year subscription (RMB198 or about S$40 for one connection). Transocks is about RMB260 or S$52 per year for 3 connections.

fyi 3 device n 1 device connection speed is diff
ur line is shared

just that i am comfortable wif transocks so follow "dun fix it if not broken "rule

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.