Are you buying mooncakes this year?

shaff12

Master Member
Reaction score
is depends la, those hotel ones u are paying premium for the boxes and the brand.

just go for traditional ones like Gin Thye or Tai Chong Kok

premium for the boxes, packaging and brand is somehow too premium already. after that, the boxes also mostly throw away. so in the end it seems very much like just throwing $ away... :s13:

shaff12

Master Member
Reaction score
Nowadays, the lotus paste is from factory. Hence, the generic mooncakes taste about the same.

The fashonable ones just add ingredients (e.g. durain or chocolate) to the paste to make them more fanciful.

Nowadays, I eat homemake mooncakes. The cost price of a small pandan snow-skin mooncake with salted egg yoke is around $0.40 only.

The hotels are selling around $6-8 a piece with fanciful artificial flavouring and colouring, albeit with nice packaging.

That is why it seems more are trying themselves on the homemade version! ;)

CaptainTeo

Master Member
Reaction score
Buy cheap cheap one can already. As long family got eat OK already. Buying one box for my family. Parent old dun eat too much

supersnail0

Reaction score
Mid-autumn festival

Personally, I enjoy purchasing mooncakes from Malaysia due to the cheap prices and wide variety, However, due to the current global pandemic, we can only purchase mooncakes locally. Some of my favourite mooncake brands include: Lavender, East Ocean and shangri-la. Also, some of them offer new and unique flavours for customers to try, but my personally preference would be the traditional snowskin flavours.

supersnail0

Reaction score
Mid-autumn festival

Personally, I enjoy purchasing mooncakes from Malaysia due to the cheap prices and wide variety, However, due to the current global pandemic, we can only purchase mooncakes locally. Some of my favourite mooncake brands include: Lavender, East Ocean and shangri-la. Also, some of them offer new and unique flavours for customers to try, but my personally preference would be the traditional snowskin flavours.

TLCTLC88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never bother to buy. Already received 1 box as gift but thinking of giving 3 pcs to MIL and just keep 1 pc.

mryongtan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is depends la, those hotel ones u are paying premium for the boxes and the brand.

just go for traditional ones like Gin Thye or Tai Chong Kok

Tai Chong Kok changed to vegetable oil for its mooncakes, the taste CMI.

fantastyy

Reaction score
yeaa same the snowskin mooncakes are really good. Have more flavours too ans children like it

shaff12

Master Member
Reaction score
Saw a mooncake fair at Tangs Vivo, tucked at the far inside end of the store at Level 1.
Looks very so pathetic, nobody even know it was there... :s13:

No sampling allowed.

Squaredot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Saw a mooncake fair at Tangs Vivo, tucked at the far inside end of the store at Level 1.
Looks very so pathetic, nobody even know it was there... :s13:

No sampling allowed.

no sampling this year due to Covid.
I bought Fragrance mooncake at Qoo10. Taste good to me and the price is good! :s13:

HarCKai

Reaction score
I really like home's favourite durian mooncake. I bought online before to get 20% discount. Might be abit too pricey without discount

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.