[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
gentlemen can i ask some experts advice. my synology (ds213+) suddenly behaves in this manner :

blue light blinks constantly. hdd disk 1 orange light permannent on, with OR without hdd inside. Cannot detect diskstation from web browser.

It the synology dead? i tried to many kinds of troubleshooting until no idea left.
Happened right after shutting down then reconnecting. Was not like it suddenly pop while in midst of operation.

Anyone base on experience have any idea of direction what to do next or is the blinking blue light = dead as a corpse?

thanks in advance. if such failure is possible i think in future id rather spend less and configure a freenas pc version which i can always configure.

I will recommend FreeNAS anytime compared to OTS NAS. Any parts spoil or wear out, I just simply replace. Furthermore, ZFS is so resilient and self recovery, the reason why it is used in enterprise. With its transition to TrueNAS, it will bring consumer closer to enterprise grade storage system.

If you are concerned of power usage, get a low powered embedded motherboard with multiple SATA connectors.

Been using FreeNAS for at least >10years. Some of the data stored back then has survived all the power trip, hardware & system failures, dust, and living till this day.

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will recommend FreeNAS anytime compared to OTS NAS. Any parts spoil or wear out, I just simply replace. Furthermore, ZFS is so resilient and self recovery, the reason why it is used in enterprise. With its transition to TrueNAS, it will bring consumer closer to enterprise grade storage system.

If you are concerned of power usage, get a low powered embedded motherboard with multiple SATA connectors.

Been using FreeNAS for at least >10years. Some of the data stored back then has survived all the power trip, hardware & system failures, dust, and living till this day.

FreeNAS is awesome if you are one that likes to tinker around bits and pieces. I used to use it.

Synology just provides the convenience.

ultimately is up to individual.

loganrunning

Reaction score
just normal shut down.

jbod.

blinking blue light and yellow on disk 1. no status light. even with NO disk inside.

basically just used it as storage without raid for now. problem happens wihtout any drives as well. if its adapter where do u guys get replacement adapters for nas? the ones i see in sim lim tower tend to be upwards of $30 not sure its the place to get it cheapest.

ok, if normal shutdown, then assuming drives are ok, then it points to the nas or the power supply. if jbod, again, assuming drives are ok, then it also points to nas/power supply.

i got my power supply brick from sim lim tower and the other one from my stock of spare power bricks. $30+ is about there given the wattage. online price is about double.

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if i change ram from 1gb to 4gb on an older model and stuck at flashing blue light when power on, what should i do? 1hr++ liao :s11::s11:

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
means the ram not compatible. swap it back, you will see it boot up.

that will be really sad... :(:(

but then i got another brand 4gb ram i borrowed with the same speed and it works.. :(:(

edit: eh? why i tried again and again now can work??

Last edited:

p2311967

Reaction score
My 214+ fills up for the 4tb cause I did time lapse at overseas (hobby, not pro). Then I saw 1819+ with 4x 8tb going cheap, just went ahead. I hardly use the nas features as I am just to protect my photos/videos. Now to get a capture card for DV tapes, maybe add 4x 12tb when price is right. :D

PlayCo

Reaction score
Warranty Troubles with MediaPro Technology

Sharing

I got my DS918+ a year ago from MediaPro Technology. The power-brick is dead, I went for RMA they told me for the warranty to take place, I will have to send in my NAS too. Mind you, the NAS is not a piece of hardware where one can hand-carry easily. The RMA requires up to 3 months to be RMAed and I have to go back to SLS to collect it.

I am just sharing with any potential customers who are trying to get from this shop or even Synology. They should have been upfront and I would have stayed away from it.

I have checked with Synology directly and they told me to follow the distributor procedure.

I don't think my next NAS would be a Synology. I have decided to buy a power-brick over warranty claims and save myself the three months absence of my NAS.

DiscMan

Reaction score
Bcos ur previous post, u put 2 Yes and 1 No thats y i confuse... Hahahaha

Anyway thanks for the reply and sorry for the noob questions. Newbie here tats y.. 😅 Been researching abt Nas from Youtube and found out there are so many different models to choose from and different user needs till i got headache 😂... Also the cost also quite high. After much thinking, most probably i will go for 4 bay Nas but just getting two HDD first then in future will upgrade the storage

Actually, to play safe, go with SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) for your RAID configuration. Then you will have less worries about growing your HDDs later on.

kamsani0

Master Member
Reaction score
Sharing

I got my DS918+ a year ago from MediaPro Technology. The power-brick is dead, I went for RMA they told me for the warranty to take place, I will have to send in my NAS too. Mind you, the NAS is not a piece of hardware where one can hand-carry easily. The RMA requires up to 3 months to be RMAed and I have to go back to SLS to collect it.

I am just sharing with any potential customers who are trying to get from this shop or even Synology. They should have been upfront and I would have stayed away from it.

I have checked with Synology directly and they told me to follow the distributor procedure.

I don't think my next NAS would be a Synology. I have decided to buy a power-brick over warranty claims and save myself the three months absence of my NAS.

That is a load of bull! Never use brain to think before talking. I am referring to MediaPro.

Even more dumber for Synology to agree with distributor's assessment.

Unfortunately, Synology DSM is one of the best out there to manage. I'm fortunate never have to deal with such stupidity.

Still using my DS411+ after so many donkey years. Also have the DS1618+, which is a joy to use.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is a load of bull! Never use brain to think before talking. I am referring to MediaPro.

Even more dumber for Synology to agree with distributor's assessment.

Unfortunately, Synology DSM is one of the best out there to manage. I'm fortunate never have to deal with such stupidity.

Still using my DS411+ after so many donkey years. Also have the DS1618+, which is a joy to use.

You really don't need Synology to enjoy Synology. :s13:

https://nascompares.com/2018/09/27/xpenology-how-to-install-synology-dsm-on-your-custom-built-nas/

kamsani0

Master Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that it is possible. But so far i stand by Synology for its hardware durability. Until they decide to screw that up, and some other manufacturer will come along and make a better price/performance piece of hardware.

loganrunning

Reaction score
DS1819+ or DS1817, if mainly storage and backup

Would like to poll opinions.

If using mainly for storage and backup of many computers (media and video production house), will a 1817 with 10Gbe be a better choice (future proofing) than a 1819+?

the 1819+ can go up to 10Gbe but will require an additional NIC.

alternative is the new 1621xs, but the price is almost double

with an impending network upgrade to 10Gbps, so the 1817 does seem to make more sense.
(the 1817 is discontinued, but still available on special order)

with a network upgrade, editing off the NAS may be more feasible, which will be a plus point with multiple persons editing it. transcoding may not be an issue too as the editors will play it on their own computers.

my question is, apart from the older tech, and weaker CPU (may not be a factor since it's only for storage and backup), which would you choose, and why?

thanks!

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would like to poll opinions.

If using mainly for storage and backup of many computers (media and video production house), will a 1817 with 10Gbe be a better choice (future proofing) than a 1819+?

the 1819+ can go up to 10Gbe but will require an additional NIC.

alternative is the new 1621xs, but the price is almost double

with an impending network upgrade to 10Gbps, so the 1817 does seem to make more sense.
(the 1817 is discontinued, but still available on special order)

with a network upgrade, editing off the NAS may be more feasible, which will be a plus point with multiple persons editing it. transcoding may not be an issue too as the editors will play it on their own computers.

my question is, apart from the older tech, and weaker CPU (may not be a factor since it's only for storage and backup), which would you choose, and why?

thanks!

editing off the NAS is not feasible. lack GPU, weak CPU. ur editing will crawl regardless of the network speed. Ask yourself if you really need a 10GbE pipe. I will choose stronger CPU (because you cannot change this easily)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.