NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
In Jan, I was given 1 week plus to do my medical before a deadline. The medical email is just to inform you to go for the checkup. They even say this, "Please note that undergoing the medical examination does not in any way indicate that you have been selected for appointment." Salary details is given with appointment letter, but expect it to be lesser than your current pay.
Thank you very much for your kind reply!! :)

Hows your teaching stint going? Are you in a primary school or secondary school? Any advice for newbies like us (if we get accepted by MOE) hahaha :)

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
Just a thought from a mid-career perspective, If the starting date is on 22 December like how many have been notified, does that mean that you will have to forgo your probably entitled 13 month bonus?
yup, would think so. pros and cons ba haha. if really wanna work for MOE then thats something we gotta let go.. unless can push for deferment? think theres usually another window to start in like feb or something but im not too sure..

beaconofhope

Reaction score
Just a thought from a mid-career perspective, If the starting date is on 22 December like how many have been notified, does that mean that you will have to forgo your probably entitled 13 month bonus?

Can defer by one window but need to give valid reason. Dont think they will accept the bonus part as a reason. My advice is just go for it. If you skip one window, you might have to do teaching stint for one year like me.

vnnnnn

Reaction score
Yup this is just the generic application still in process email sent to May/June batch of applicants, I received mine last week.

haha honestly some updates better than no updates to me, at least they’re doing smth😂 have yet to receive my email for medical though

hasmterball

Reaction score
MOE PPT

Hi there!

Can I ask if anyone is going for the MOE PPT on 1st October 2020?
Also, for those who have paid for the test, did you guys receive any updates on the Reporting time ? :)

Nnameless

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your kind reply!! :)

Hows your teaching stint going? Are you in a primary school or secondary school? Any advice for newbies like us (if we get accepted by MOE) hahaha :)

Minus off that going into NIE is still unknown for now, I would say it was a pretty good experience. I was lucky that my teachers was nice and experienced with both upper and lower sec (I got HODs, SHs, LT). I also saw how teachers handle cases and enjoyed interacting with students.

One advice is to keep a strict face first, let students be scared of you and slowly open up. You will see good teachers that can scold and joke with students. One of my mentor told me to practice your scolding script haha

My supervisor told me the main thing they look out for during lesson observation is class management, engaging the class/problematic students, encouraging discussion.
The rest is the lesson itself. What you can learn now is how to build up to higher order thinking, or what they called scaffolding questions. Being able to do that can add points to your lessons observation. I practiced it through experiences from 1-1 tutoring and when students ask me questions in class (general rule is give them questions that lead to the answers, don't just give them the answer)
Be pro-active, do more is better than do less. Ask teachers for advice for your lesson and try out stuff, but also know that they are busy, so you help me and I help you with consultations, relief lessons etc etc.
Lastly, learn about the school, whether the school is worth to go back when you are trained ;)

beaconofhope

Reaction score
Minus off that going into NIE is still unknown for now, I would say it was a pretty good experience. I was lucky that my teachers was nice and experienced with both upper and lower sec (I got HODs, SHs, LT). I also saw how teachers handle cases and enjoyed interacting with students.

One advice is to keep a strict face first, let students be scared of you and slowly open up. You will see good teachers that can scold and joke with students. One of my mentor told me to practice your scolding script haha

My supervisor told me the main thing they look out for during lesson observation is class management, engaging the class/problematic students, encouraging discussion.
The rest is the lesson itself. What you can learn now is how to build up to higher order thinking, or what they called scaffolding questions. Being able to do that can add points to your lessons observation. I practiced it through experiences from 1-1 tutoring and when students ask me questions in class (general rule is give them questions that lead to the answers, don't just give them the answer)
Be pro-active, do more is better than do less. Ask teachers for advice for your lesson and try out stuff, but also know that they are busy, so you help me and I help you with consultations, relief lessons etc etc.
Lastly, learn about the school, whether the school is worth to go back when you are trained ;)

I like your advice on the strict face part. I was debating about using this approach with a colleague of mine just now. And he was like "Huh? Teaching is all about building connections with your students, I never liked the strict teachers during my time as a student". I guess its easier to say that when one hasnt had the experience of managing a class :D

And it makes a world of difference if you use the approach you mention vs trying to be all friendly from the start. Based on the little class tuition and relief teaching experience that i have, being all friendly from the start will never end well.

And great to know that you have a good team of mentors around you!

Last edited:

Singkiasu

Reaction score
Hi!

I just received the email to sit for Chinese EPT on 2 Sep.

Anyone else receive it too? Does anyone knows are the components for the test?

According to the website, for Chinese written component is compre + short essay?

Is it on 30th sept or 2nd of oct?

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
May/June 2020

thanks for sharing beaconofhope and nameless!

hope that our paths can cross one day :)

btw, to update may/june peeps, my status has been finally updated but i have yet to receive the medical email~~

may/june 2020 peeps, lets continue to update each other? thaanks :)

carboy00

Reaction score

hope that our paths can cross one day
:)

btw, to update may/june peeps, my status has been finally updated but i have yet to receive the medical email~~

may/june 2020 peeps, lets continue to update each other? thaanks
:)

Updated to Shortlisted?

Posted from PCWX using Mi A2 Lake Blue

Oolongteanosugar

Reaction score
Yes, thats right!

omg! happy for u! :) i noticed u have been q anxious on this thread (me too) hahaha & im glad this has taken a good turn. hopefully it'll all turn out well!

btw whats your timeline? sorry if i missed it but i couldnt find one in your older posts lol

Last edited:
Reaction score

hope that our paths can cross one day :)

may/june 2020 peeps, lets continue to update each other? thaanks :)

Hi Lynnie! Congratulations!!! :) :) :) praying for the best for the june-august 2020 batch too!!!

PurpleBarney

Reaction score
DipEd Mother Tongue

Hi anybody applied for DipEd for Tamil Language. I have been called for Mother Tongue EPT not sure how its gonna be like. Anybody who has gone for tamil EPT please help out. Thank youu

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
omg! happy for u! :) i noticed u have been q anxious on this thread (me too) hahaha & im glad this has taken a good turn. hopefully it'll all turn out well!

btw whats your timeline? sorry if i missed it but i couldnt find one in your older posts lol
May/June 2020

10 Jun - Shortlisted for interview email
3 Jul - Interview @ Mount Sinai
30 Jul - Processing email (only received one processing email to date)
4 Aug - EPT Availablity for 2 Sept email (Not asked to take eventually)
15 Sep - Request for documents email
23 Sep - Status changed from "in process" to "shortlisted"

Thank you carboy00, monmonshironeko and oolongteanosugar for your well wishes! Hoping for the best for u guys too!

All the best to everyone! :)

pokkamilkcoffee

Reaction score
May/June 2020

10 Jun - Shortlisted for interview email
3 Jul - Interview @ Mount Sinai
30 Jul - Processing email (only received one processing email to date)
4 Aug - EPT Availablity for 2 Sept email (Not asked to take eventually)
15 Sep - Request for documents email
23 Sep - Status changed from "in process" to "shortlisted"

Thank you carboy00, monmonshironeko and oolongteanosugar for your well wishes! Hoping for the best for u guys too!

All the best to everyone! :)

Congrats Lynnie!

I just want to ask, judging from what you say here, that you were not required to take the EPT to get shortlisted? Or medical for that matter?

Or does these two things usually come after being shortlisted. Meaning there is still a chance that you might not be chosen for the course? (Subject to medical and EPT)

I hope I worded the questions well. Apologies if it sounds confusing.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.