Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

ddqwerty

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advice,

i recently started a singtel 1gbps broadband plan and singtel tv, and i have a onr.

my understanding is that if i purchase and use my own router it will run with some features off.

so i'm reading so much negative things about onr that i'm planning to get a android tv box and i torrent.

will a vpn help me in anyway? i'm assuming i can only use the vpn on devices that i can input it to (eg. computer/phone)

giraffey

Reaction score

i recently started a singtel 1gbps broadband plan and singtel tv, and i have a onr.

my understanding is that if i purchase and use my own router it will run with some features off.

so i'm reading so much negative things about onr that i'm planning to get a android tv box and i torrent.

will a vpn help me in anyway? i'm assuming i can only use the vpn on devices that i can input it to (eg. computer/phone)

When you are given an ONR, you would not be able to use a router or gateway-related devices. What it means is that any wireless router you purchase, can only be configured in access point mode. In access point mode, any security, VPN, and other gateway related features are disabled.

The use of ONR should not affect the android tv box or torrenting. Although, the bandwidth could be throttled by the ISP for torrent related activities.

A VPN could only help in bypassing the "bandwidth throttling". On top of that, it may provide additional security and privacy features.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What is the wireless router you are using now?

If you are so afraid of ONR, call Singtel to bridge the ONR. Then you can use your own router with full features.

BTW if you use SingTel provided router with an ONT, SingTel can still have access to the router.

With ONR, either your router runs in AP mode (lose more features) or you have to live with Double NAT when you use it in router mode.

Double NAT does not affect your internet access, but some features like remote access to the router from outside may be affected.

**** Ref on Double NAT ****
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Double NAT does not prevent your devices access to the internet but may cause problems with playing online games, opening a specific service port, connecting to a VPN tunnel, or visiting secure sites with SSL. Also, the devices connected to the first private network may not be able to communicate to the devices connected to the other private network.

Last edited:

ddqwerty

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply xiaofan and giraffey :) also thanks for the reply on the singtel 1gbps thread. i'll just continue here.

I understand a little better, i don't think i will benefit from changing to a ONT (might be too difficult for me). my best option is to request to change the ONR to bridged mode so at least i can use a router of my choice. currently i'm using the provided singtel "mesh" router (https://www.singtel.com/personal/support/broadband/routers-ont/singtel-mesh-guide)

Double NAT does not seem harmful, but then again configuring it will be way out of my league.

then i'll probably get a vpn for that extra peace of mind.

Edit: did i get this correct? currently the huawei ONR is acting as modem/router, and the connected singtel mesh router is running on AP mode?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Edit: did i get this correct? currently the huawei ONR is acting as modem/router, and the connected singtel mesh router is running on AP mode?

Yes. ONR is the main router. SingTel Mesh Router (or the older AC Plus or AC Elite) will automatically run in AP mode when connected to the ONR.

Do you have other routers? Do you have Singtel TV?

Once you got Singtel to bridge the ONR, most likely you can no longer use the SingTel Mesh Router as the main router. You need to use your own router.

Usually Singtel may reconfigure the ONR in such a way.

1) One port bridged port -- no VLAN, you can connect 3rd party routers from this port. SingTel routers can not be used.

2) ONR ports (one or two or three) for SingTel TV boxes only, no internet access.

ONR has some advantage as well if you need to put the router in the DB Box. It does not have wireless function so your wireless function is not affected.

1. For example: two wireless AP setup if you have weak wireless in one room, say the master room.

ONR -- patch panel -- Ethernet ports in living room and master room -- main AP in living room and auxiliary AP in master room.

If using bridged ONR or ONT, it is a bit troublesome if you only have one Ethernet port in the living room. In the end you may need to have three routers, one in the DB box and the other two as APs.

ONT -- main router -- patch panel -- Ethernet ports in living room -- second router as main AP.

3rd router in master room as AP.

2. Another example: Single wireless AP setup but you need wired access in the study room for a desktop PC

ONR -- patch panel -- Ethernet ports in living room -- main AP
Study room Ethernet port -- desktop PC.

If using bridged ONR or ONT, it is a bit troublesome, now you need one router in the DB box and the other one in the living room as AP.

ONT -- main router -- patch panel -- Ethernet ports in living room -- second router as main AP

Study room Ethernet port -- desktop PC.

Last edited:

ddqwerty

Reaction score
I currently have 2 Linksys ea7500 and 2 D-link covr-1100.
I also have singtel tv, which probably means the router needs vlan compatibility?

from what you said, after i request to change to bridge mode, the ONR will have 1 (or more) port bridged to allow me to use my own router, and the other ports remain the same for singtel tv usage?

I would prefer to go for a 2 AP set up, my living room has 2 ethernet ports, so one would be ONR straight to singtel STB and the other will be from bridged port of ONR to main 3rd party router (in DB box), which then can plug through other ethernet ports around the house.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I currently have 2 Linksys ea7500 and 2 D-link covr-1100.
I also have singtel tv, which probably means the router needs vlan compatibility?

from what you said, after i request to change to bridge mode, the ONR will have 1 (or more) port bridged to allow me to use my own router, and the other ports remain the same for singtel tv usage?

I would prefer to go for a 2 AP set up, my living room has 2 ethernet ports, so one would be ONR straight to singtel STB and the other will be from bridged port of ONR to main 3rd party router (in DB box), which then can plug through other ethernet ports around the house.

Yes it will work out. Last time SingTel is reluctant to reconfigure the ONR to have a bridged port. Recently they seem to be more willing to accommodate such requests. You can try it.

ONR non bridged port -- patch panel -- living room Ethernet port 1 -- SingTel TV box

ONR bridged port -- main router in DB box (say EA7500) --patch panel -- living room Ethernet port 2 -- main AP (EA7500 or Covr 1100)

Other room Ethernet ports -- other APs (EA7500 or Covr 1100)

I believe Covr 1100 supports mesh in AP mode.

Last edited:

ddqwerty

Reaction score
Yes it will work out. Last time SingTel is reluctant to reconfigure the ONR to have a bridged port. Recently they seem to be more willing to accommodate such requests. You can try it.

ONR non bridged port -- patch panel -- living room Ethernet port 1 -- SingTel TV box

ONR bridged port -- main router in DB box (say EA7500) --patch panel -- living room Ethernet port 2 -- main AP (EA7500 or Covr 1100)

Other room Ethernet ports -- other APs (EA7500 or Covr 1100)

I believe Covr 1100 supports mesh in AP mode.

Thanks so much for the help and advice.

I didn't know i can use them together, my limited knowledge made think i can only use the D-link or the Linksys :D thanks

enjoy the weekend!

Kennedy

Master Member
Reaction score
my Android tv box ethernet disconnects instantly when connecting to Surfshark. have tried all options from Surfshark app - settings - advanced - protocol but to no avail. wireless ok. but the wireless speed is slow, need the ethernet. thanks.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No referral codes exist in this thread for ExpressVPN yet. Anyway, you will get one month free only for each referral.

Price seems to be reasonable with the current promotion at US$100 for 15 months or about US$6.67 per month.
https://www.expressvpn.com/order

15 Months
includes 3 Free Months
$ 6.67 per month
Billed $99.95 first 15 months
30-day money-back guarantee.

What about hotspots shield premium vpn that is bundled with bitdefender premium security?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What about hotspots shield premium vpn that is bundled with bitdefender premium security?

Take note Bitdefender VPN Premium (powered by HotSpots Shield) is a separate subscription from Bitdefender. So depending on the price you pay, you may consider other VPN apps like Nord VPN.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My PIA expiring in November. Any Similar VPN with offers I should consider?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.