Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's the starhub tv+ box. I tried using the downloader app from playstore to access 3rd party applications but it seems that the app can't access the tv box directory.

I tried to unlock developer settings on the android box too but it is pin protected and I don't think it's done from my side. Hmmm hope someone figures it out.

I see.

What if you install a file manager from the Play Store (eg: FX File Explorer, or File Commander) and see if you can browse the internal file directories?

There is a USB port. Try to insert a USB drive to see if you can browser to that USB drive.

Last edited:

ahmsufyan

Reaction score
I see.

What if you install a file manager from the Play Store (eg: FX File Explorer, or File Commander) and see if you can browse the internal file directories?

There is a USB port. Try to insert a USB drive to see if you can browser to that USB drive.

UPDATE: I managed a workaround using "send files to tv". The apk is in the directory however the tv box is not allowed to install unknown apps and when clicking the settings prompt nothing happened. Still no luck.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I managed a workaround using "send files to tv". The apk is in the directory however the tv box is not allowed to install unknown apps and when clicking the settings prompt nothing happened. Still no luck.

I see. It seems that Starhub really locks it down then if that option is disabled.

Worse case you have to get a separate box like Mi Box S (around S$70+) or Minix NEO T5 (S$99 from Shopee), to side load apps.

ahmsufyan

Reaction score
I see. It seems that Starhub really locks it down then if that option is disabled.

Worse case you have to get a separate box like Mi Box S (around S$70+) or Minix NEO T5 (S$99 from Shopee), to side load apps.

Dang it starhub :'( Thanks for the help tho! You've been very helpful. I'm gonna try the long route with adb before I finally give up.

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, is there an app on android phone that I can use to type into andoird box, MI box s?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any android box to recommend?

It all depends on your need.

Best boxes:
Mi Box S -- best below S$100, around S$70+
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 and Pro 2019 -- best above S$200

Other boxes to consider if you do not need Netflix HD.
Minix NEO T5, S$99 from Shopee

Other boxes to consider if you need Netflix HD but not Chromecast.
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd generation 2019

If you want preloaded boxes which you can watch all kinds of channels like Soccer for free, then none to recommend, as there are no such good boxes exist.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any tvbox model with in built digital tv receiver? Just need to buy the antenna...

Very few Hybrid boxes and they are expensive. Much cheaper to buy separate.

Mecool K7 is relatively new and powerful enough.
https://androidpctv.com/review-mecool-k7-opinion/

Amlogic S905X2 Quad core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
ARM Mali-G31 MP2 GPU
4GB LPDDR4 + 64GB EMMC
2.4GHz + 5GHz dual band WiFi
1000Mbps Ethernet

Last edited:

jywl12

Reaction score
hi, I have bluray iso in my NAS. Any recommendation on which box can play bluray ISO from NAS with menu without skipping frame/buffering apart from Nvidia Shield?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, I have bluray iso in my NAS. Any recommendation on which box can play bluray ISO from NAS with menu without skipping frame/buffering apart from Nvidia Shield?

Those good ones (dedicated UHD media player optimized for Blu Ray rip files) will be similar or more expensive than Nvidia Shield TV.

Example:
Zidoo Z9X at US$229 is the cheapest current model from Zidoo. Old models may be cheaper.
https://androidpctv.com/review-zidoo-z9x-opinion/

Himedia Q10 Pro is old but still good.

Egreat is another brand.

If you can use Chinese version without GMS, then HiMedia Q5 Plus can be considered at RMB799.
https://item.m.jd.com/product/100003432394.html

Or you can consider older model of Zidoo like Z9S or Z10. A quick glance shows that they are available from Lazada at around S$199 for Z9S and S$279 for Z10.

Z9S seems to be good enough.
https://androidpctv.com/review-zidoo-z9s/
Z10 is of course better.
https://mediaplayers.gr/zidoo-z10/

These players will have better user experiences than Nvidia Shield TV for your use case.

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It all depends on your need.

Best boxes:
Mi Box S -- best below S$100, around S$70+
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 and Pro 2019 -- best above S$200

Other boxes to consider if you do not need Netflix HD.
Minix NEO T5, S$99 from Shopee

Other boxes to consider if you need Netflix HD but not Chromecast.
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd generation 2019

If you want preloaded boxes which you can watch all kinds of channels like Soccer for free, then none to recommend, as there are no such good boxes exist.

great list. Is it worth to get (saw on Qoo10/Shopee) boxes that have higher amount of RAM, cheaper yet unknown brands?

example these kind: https://shopee.sg/🔥10.10-Big-Sale🔥P...FI-6K-with-3-days-IPTV-i.126587078.5129122814

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
great list. Is it worth to get (saw on Qoo10/Shopee) boxes that have higher amount of RAM, cheaper yet unknown brands?

example these kind: https://shopee.sg/🔥10.10-Big-Sale🔥P...FI-6K-with-3-days-IPTV-i.126587078.5129122814

This particular T95 is a "Do not buy!!!" because of the thermally challenged H616 CPU. It is slightly better than the infamous H6 CPU but not much better.

In general, you should not buy non branded generic Android TV boxes unless you know really what you want.

If you really want to buy cheap generic no brand box, then buy S905X3 CPU based boxes like A95X F3 Air, X96 Max Plus, H96 Max X3, OEM Tanix TX3, etc. But quality may vary from batch to batch so you are depending on lucks.

Of these no brand boxes, Tanix used to offer some good ones like TX3 Mini, TX3 Max, TX5 Max, TX5 Plus, TX3, etc. But now it is producing junk boxes like TX6, TX6S, etc.

OEM boxes from Tanix (no Tanix logo) are worse than Tanix original boxes.

FYI, my OEM TX6 suffered thermal issues from the beginning and died slightly after one year+ of light usage.

Last edited:

HWZ1973

Master Member
Reaction score
Very few Hybrid boxes and they are expensive. Much cheaper to buy separate.

Mecool K7 is relatively new and powerful enough.
https://androidpctv.com/review-mecool-k7-opinion/

Amlogic S905X2 Quad core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
ARM Mali-G31 MP2 GPU
4GB LPDDR4 + 64GB EMMC
2.4GHz + 5GHz dual band WiFi
1000Mbps Ethernet

Thanks! Will get hybrid for convenience...
Please add if there are more recommendations.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Will get hybrid for convenience...
Please add if there are more recommendations.

No other recommended hybrid box.

Only two major brands are producing Hybrid boxes, MeCool and Magicsee.

Magicsee C400 is okay if you do not mind older box. Or Mecool KII Pro or KIII Pro.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This particular T95 is a "Do not buy!!!" because of the thermally challenged H616 CPU. It is slightly better than the infamous H6 CPU but not much better.

In general, you should not buy non branded generic Android TV boxes unless you know really what you want.

If you really want to buy cheap generic no brand box, then buy S905X3 CPU based boxes like A95X F3 Air, X96 Max Plus, H96 Max X3, OEM Tanix TX3, etc. But quality may vary from batch to batch so you are depending on lucks.

Of these no brand boxes, Tanix used to offer some good ones like TX3 Mini, TX3 Max, TX5 Max, TX5 Plus, TX3, etc. But now it is producing junk boxes like TX6, TX6S, etc.

OEM boxes from Tanix (no Tanix logo) are worse than Tanix original boxes.

FYI, my OEM TX6 suffered thermal issues from the beginning and died slightly after one year+ of light usage.

Mainly because i prefer at least 4gb over 2gb. Any recommendations?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.