The AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 Discussion Thread

radioshack

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Normally I only change CPU when I get a complete new system. The hassle of changing a CPU is too much

jrwong84

Master Member
Reaction score
Will R9 3900x drop price? So far i see $600+ any good chance will drop to $550

Proximus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hope they drop 3700x until 200usd then i sure buy

The lowest it went was USD 220 regarding to some reddit posts I read previously. USD 220 is really a good price but you have to get an eye on the price on Amazon.

Humster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will R9 3900x drop price? So far i see $600+ any good chance will drop to $550

SG leh, unless you order from outside SG, if not, want price drop = wait long long.
Especially, the retainers need to make $$$ due to not able to open shops for months.

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score
AMD would need to redesign the IO chip to implement support for better ram.

Not withstanding some older motherboard (b450?) might not be able to support higher frequency ram due to lower built quality.

I also think AMD is going for incremental update for their Ryzen CPU design from now on.

zen4 should be 5nm so it should be a decent generational improvement.

jrwong84

Master Member
Reaction score
SG leh, unless you order from outside SG, if not, want price drop = wait long long.
Especially, the retainers need to make $$$ due to not able to open shops for months.

淘宝 Got sell 散片 without heatsink just the chip $510 exlcude shipping but i worry =(

Bumiputera

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
淘宝 Got sell 散片 without heatsink just the chip $510 exlcude shipping but i worry =(

Can hoot, cpu is hardy stuff that don't break even with rough usage or handling.

Only scary is get fake cpu or some other things other than what u order.

NightRaven49

Master Member
Reaction score

Can hoot, cpu is hardy stuff that don't break even with rough usage or handling.

Only scary is get fake cpu or some other things other than what u order.

yes, as bumiputera said, just hoot. i bought 5 散片 cpus off taobao over the years, 2x v2 xeons and 3x r5 2600, all worked (except 1 2600 where i accidentally broke a cpu pin :eek: ). honestly cpus hardly ever die, and the taobao sellers do pack the cpus well enough, so should be no issue. even if got problem, shipping back for claim is also no problem: i sold that 2600 with broken pin to someone, that guy sent it back to china to resit the pins, got it back and sold it as part of a full system. i ask him say the shipping cost there and back q cheap.

buying off taobao should also be fine in terms of getting scammed; so long as u buy from reputable listings (some shops have banners stating they have been around for 10+ years) u should be getting the real deal. ive also bought stuff with no reviews and still got a working as expected part, so...

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score
i think amd will cut prices when intel releases their new space heaters in q1 2021

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score
That is if Intel's upcoming Rocket lake will be competitive with Ryzen 5000. Either that of Intel willing to cut the intel tax and reduce CPU price. Otherwise, it is hard for AMD to drop price for no good reason.

there are rumours of significant ipc improvement and B series memory overclocking which should put rocket lake competitive with zen3 or more.

transparos

Reaction score
Based on this data, which is the best bang for buck cpu to get? Am planning to get a new pc few months later either in Dec or next year Jan where stocks is readily available.

Should I go for ryzen 5000? Or would ryzen 3000 be more value for money? I am intending to get the 3080 graphic card too. Not looking to overclock.

Been using intel for the last 20 years already and noted AMD already caught up to them and wanted to try out. Currently still using Intel processor from 3 years ago.

For ryzen 5000, seems to me like the most value for money is 5800x but seems to be more on the exp side so I am quite hesitant to get that.. saw some ppl in the forum commenting to get the 3600x or 3700x which is more value for money...

My main purpose is just mainly for gaming and working from home. My work involves running many applications at one time e.g autocad.. not sure this needs more ram or a good processor to help. Thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.