Johor Bahru - share is caring - Part 2

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JOHOR BARU — Businesses in Johor Baru are taking a major hit without the usual support of Singaporeans or Malaysians returning from the island republic because of the stringent border controls brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic, said trade groups.

They told The Malaysian Insight nearly 50 per cent of their business come from Singaporeans or Malaysians living there but the strict travel arrangements imposed by both countries are forcing many businesses to shut down.
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/world/businesses-johor-baru-dying-after-travel-ban

====

JOHOR BARU • A top British international school located in Iskandar Puteri is at risk of closing down after eight years due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, said Johor Menteri Besar Hasni Mohammad.

Datuk Hasni said that the school's students, numbering between 800 and 900, could not commute daily between their school and Singapore as the border has remained generally shut from mid-March.

====
PUTERI PACIFIC HOTEL CALLS IT A DAY

Although domestic tourism is encouraged since the interstate travel ban was lifted on Jun 10, hotels that usually cater to foreign visitors found it hard to survive.

Puteri Pacific Hotel, located about 10 minutes away from the Causeway, was popular among Singaporean visitors for its close proximity to the shopping districts and malls such as City Square and Komtar JBCC.

It was shut down as of Aug 30 after 29 years, according to media reports.
===
Bars, cafes, restaurants, hair salons, spas, beauty parlours, supermarkets, etc…. the list goes on. Since June, many popular seafood restaurants are no longer in operation.

Another JB friend believes some popular malls may not survive for much longer. Closures mean more jobs will be lost.

He predicts that there will be a pandemic of a different kind, a ‘financial pandemic’, when people with housing loans start defaulting (a six-month loan moratorium will expire in September).

Last edited:

avviicc

Banned
Reaction score
1) Our touch n go card has a 1 year expiry period right?

I think by the time we can travel to jb, all our tng card expire liao..

Anyone knows whether they will extend?

2) Our VEP Malaysia Vehicle Entry Permit, the blue sticker on our car can use to cross custom? woodlands custom?

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

s330063

Reaction score
1) Our touch n go card has a 1 year expiry period right?

I think by the time we can travel to jb, all our tng card expire liao..

Anyone knows whether they will extend?

2) Our VEP Malaysia Vehicle Entry Permit, the blue sticker on our car can use to cross custom? woodlands custom?

add the card to the ewallet app, should be no expiry.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also taigong that won't expire. So DL and link to my 3 cards. Last usage on these cards were early this year, so hope by end this year, there will be some good news for us to return to JB shopping. lolz

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also taigong that won't expire. So DL and link to my 3 cards. Last usage on these cards were early this year, so hope by end this year, there will be some good news for us to return to JB shopping. lolz

Honestly, even if they open up and there's no need to quarantine, I will hold on first. Their economy no good also, scare robbery nia.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OHOR BARU: One of the state capital's most famous streets, Jalan Wong Ah Fook – lined with pre-war shophouses and plush restaurants on one side and by two huge malls on the other – was once all hustle and bustle.

But these days, the normally street is deserted after 6pm.

Ever since the imposition of the Movement Control Order (MCO) on March 18 and the Restricted Movement Control Order (RMCO), this thoroughfare has dwindled into an empty street by sundown.

The reasons are obvious: the total absence of Singaporeans from across the Causeway; and lack of native Johoreans, whose incomes have shrivelled up due to full – and then – partial lockdowns.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/...stling-jalan-wong-ah-fook-now-nearly-deserted

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just added my normal Touch n Go cards to app but nowhere it says the activeness is extended? Do we still need to do something after adding to app?

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OHOR BARU: One of the state capital's most famous streets, Jalan Wong Ah Fook – lined with pre-war shophouses and plush restaurants on one side and by two huge malls on the other – was once all hustle and bustle.

But these days, the normally street is deserted after 6pm.

Ever since the imposition of the Movement Control Order (MCO) on March 18 and the Restricted Movement Control Order (RMCO), this thoroughfare has dwindled into an empty street by sundown.

The reasons are obvious: the total absence of Singaporeans from across the Causeway; and lack of native Johoreans, whose incomes have shrivelled up due to full – and then – partial lockdowns.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/...stling-jalan-wong-ah-fook-now-nearly-deserted

Indeed... This is a real-life example that existence of JB biz VERY MUCH dependent on Singaporeans. Also that's why the JB state minister had proposed a full open of the border.
However, with their recent new cases, SG side would think twice. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.