[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge - Part 2

shin7829

Reaction score
Yes. That's what I am attempting. Trouble is this takes 10 weeks minimum and me hands very itchy to pour water, add plants, add shrimps, add fishes, add snails etc...:s13:

:o

My carpet 2months still no good progress.
U endure better.
It will pays off rather than u sinply add water..
U need everyday mist them to let them dont go dry

Disturbed_Munky

Reaction score
Nothing much to share. Me noob. Third day only and my fingers are itchy to go buy new plants :o

I'm using this one ->
Soil: Advanced Soil for Plants $15 Polyart Aquarium, 328 Clementi Avenue 2, Singapore 120328 https://www.help-advancedsoil.biz/english/products/

Was looking around for black substrate. This one happens to fit the bill and I couldn't find ANS anywhere. Kinda nice brand because they produce nothing except for soil although the parent company specializes in pet and vet industries. This one is about 5mm, maybe for hair grass, 3mm is better in terms of anchoring and evenness but shrug, I was eager to start. Plus ADA, Dennerle and Tropica all way above $15 for 3L and most of what I found was brown.

FYI other similar choices you can have at this price range are:

JUN Platinium Soil 3L Black Super Powder - $15
https://eastoceansg.com/jun-platiniu...k-super-powder

ANS Planta Soil 3L - $16
https://eastoceansg.com/planted/soil...planta-soil-3l

:o

Yeah i have heard of these soil brands too, but i am keen to try out potting mix as recommended by Walstad.

Am still in planning stage, taking it slow.
Will you be adding frogbits and duckweed for algae control?

Forever84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Noob here

Have a question, is the quality of fishes from those neighborhood stores generally ok? Like is there an expected mortality rate?

For instance my planted tank, I put 3 guppies and 2 KO. Molly I got from longkang fishing no problem though

shin7829

Reaction score
Erm why frogbit is good for algae control leh?
Dont know is it coincidence or not.
After i add frogbut my lower plants growth stunt and algae boom for me sia. Sian

shin7829

Reaction score
Does good bacteria if u wanna speed cycling up.
U may wanna get some test kit.

It will show you ammonia spike, then nitrite spike. Eventually nitrate will appear, and no ammonia and nitrite will be detected.

Yua Mikami

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After i add frogbut my lower plants growth stunt and algae boom for me sia. Sian

they float and block the uv and since it gets the nutrients from the water it will indirectly control the growth of algae

Forever84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My experience is aquarium store fish usually come with ich. White spot disease. So mortality rate is significant.

Wild molly might carry internal parasites but generally hardier genetic makeup.

Mixing farm breed aquarium fish with wild caught is deadly.

Ooo, thanks for the info

So usually when u guys bring back the fish from store, do u treat it with something first?

Disturbed_Munky

Reaction score

Floating plants like frogbits will absorb the excess nutrients so algae will not have a chance to take advantage of the excess nutrients to bloom. Floating plants can thrive well because they can take in carbon dioxide from the surface.

Perhaps your lower plants growth stunt is probably because the floating frogbit is blocking the light. I will use a floating divider to spread out the frogbit so light can reach the lower plants.

Disturbed_Munky

Reaction score
I'm excited for you too. Just start and see where it takes you. :o

If I can resist adding water or plants or fish for 10 weeks...Think I am most likely adding some type of moss on some of the rocks and on the driftwood 9 weeks in, then add water on Week 11 while setting up a new filter. Actually I am not sure if I want to add the filter but the eventual goal is to have 8 small schooling fish like rummy nose tetras or go the shrimp route. Because this is a new filter with new filter media, maybe I will let it cycle for 4-6 weeks with no addition of live stocks or floating plants first. I predict I will get algae by Week 12, so just scrub and remove as much as I can, while cycling and doing 50% water changes twice a week. If algae still sets in by Week 14, then maybe add some feeder shrimps. Any advice on cycling will be great. =:p

Ah yes, this will take a while. But i don’t intend to use filter. Mine will be heavily planted for a couple of weeks. The plants will fight it out among themselves to achieve water stability. I am expecting some plants to melt away due to competition. So i am hoping to be able to add dwraf grourami and some cherrt shrimp, and a nerite by week 12 - 15.

Last edited:

shin7829

Reaction score
Ask u all ah. For planted tanks. When testing for nitrate, should it be of some value rather than 0?

But they say otocinclus cannot tahan nitrate levels also leh. Is 10ppm ok for planted tanks?

shin7829

Reaction score
So meaning when plant growth stunted, likely is others like potassium, carbon dioxide is lacking instead of nitrates?

Forever84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I keep the tank around 30 degree to kill off the ich. I also do frequent large water change of near 100% to remove floating stage of the parasite. Katapang leaves helps too as it release humic acid, tannin which are good for fish and shrimp. It can absorb heavy metal too.

Interesting! I been wondering what those leaves they put inside the aquarium is called 😄

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
about quarantine new fishes from LFS. What's the steps like? I hope to learn from this bad mistake so won't repeat it again next time...

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So basically is to isolate the new fish alone monitor a period then add into tank?

Forever84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Trying to dry start a tank now, my previous attempt super fail, all the plants melted. Saw some seeds on shopee tempted to try but I read aqua plants don't come from seeds so bit confused what on earth it is 😂

k0kster

Reaction score
Trying to dry start a tank now, my previous attempt super fail, all the plants melted. Saw some seeds on shopee tempted to try but I read aqua plants don't come from seeds so bit confused what on earth it is 😂

Aqua plants don’t come from seeds. Those plants will grow at first, small and round leaves. Very nice for first few weeks. I grew mine using seeds too. But they stay rooted well. Brush the soil a bit, floats up.

Heard from others that the plants will rot away at the roots after about 6 months.

Forever84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aqua plants don’t come from seeds. Those plants will grow at first, small and round leaves. Very nice for first few weeks. I grew mine using seeds too. But they stay rooted well. Brush the soil a bit, floats up.

Heard from others that the plants will rot away at the roots after about 6 months.

Ah! Was too good to be true, lol

jq75

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Quite agree. If difficult, who will want to buy... :p
I also experienced same before, ask what they also say good... lol

Do some homework / research first

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.