The AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 Discussion Thread

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I waiting for Intel to lose their laptop market share. KNN, look at the limited offering of Ryzen laptop despite having better performance and value.
Intel has 3b "marketing" budget for Ryzen. This budget alone is equivalent to AMD a few years profit. AMD 2019 profit is just 120m. Imagine Intel has 3b waiting...

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The idea of Budget zen 3 has been blown away. AMD are starting to go in with premium pricing due to the success they have had with the Ryzen architecture!

Competition is always good, without Intel, AMD will one day become the current Intel.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AMD wants to move away from its image as a budget alternative to Intel. It makes sense though. Most people will equate budget with inferior product and AMD now has the better CPU.

xXfanaticXx

Reaction score
Yeah expected a price hike, doesn't sounds like much in USD like what $50 increase? But locally it will probably be more cut throat.

Actually like some of the previous posts, this also is a monkey wrench for my new pc.

I'm long overdue for an upgrade already, and actually was hovering between the 3700x and 3900x but decided to wait it out for the announcement of the 5000 series.

I'll be going itx so that's gonna cost me. But I anticipate that the 5800x would probably be close to the current 3900x price locally.

It seems that the biggest marketing point was the boost for gaming performance and claiming that throne from intel of course. Gaming is my secondary use anyway, will using my rig predominantly for design, rendering, editing, cad.

My thinking is that (for my use case) the extra treads of a 3900x would outweigh the benefits in ipc increase and clockspeed bump of the 5800x, but only time will tell once the independent tests are out. ~assuming the price of the 5800x would hover around the 3900x locally.

Which means that the 5900x would probably be out of my price bracket already. If there were a 10 core 5000 I might have gone for that instead...

What do you guys think? Should I just shoot for a 3900x? Any discussion would be greatly appreciated. Of course now it's just speculation but I anticipate that sg market and pricing doesn't fluctuate as much as let's say US but also availability~

arvinsim

Reaction score
Waiting for benchmarks but it's highly likely that thermal performance would be similar between respective 5000 and 3000 chips, right?

Unclemun

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah expected a price hike, doesn't sounds like much in USD like what $50 increase? But locally it will probably be more cut throat.

Actually like some of the previous posts, this also is a monkey wrench for my new pc.

I'm long overdue for an upgrade already, and actually was hovering between the 3700x and 3900x but decided to wait it out for the announcement of the 5000 series.

I'll be going itx so that's gonna cost me. But I anticipate that the 5800x would probably be close to the current 3900x price locally.

It seems that the biggest marketing point was the boost for gaming performance and claiming that throne from intel of course. Gaming is my secondary use anyway, will using my rig predominantly for design, rendering, editing, cad.

My thinking is that (for my use case) the extra treads of a 3900x would outweigh the benefits in ipc increase and clockspeed bump of the 5800x, but only time will tell once the independent tests are out. ~assuming the price of the 5800x would hover around the 3900x locally.

Which means that the 5900x would probably be out of my price bracket already. If there were a 10 core 5000 I might have gone for that instead...

What do you guys think? Should I just shoot for a 3900x? Any discussion would be greatly appreciated. Of course now it's just speculation but I anticipate that sg market and pricing doesn't fluctuate as much as let's say US but also availability~

like you said, the 3900x's extra cores/threads may outweigh the 5800x performance gains. Still, it depends on your usage which seem to prefer more cores/threads.

The main thing is the relative prices of the processors and motherboards which current gives me the impression that the 3900x may be one to get, locally.

These are exciting times...

xXfanaticXx

Reaction score
like you said, the 3900x's extra cores/threads may outweigh the 5800x performance gains. Still, it depends on your usage which seem to prefer more cores/threads.

The main thing is the relative prices of the processors and motherboards which current gives me the impression that the 3900x may be one to get, locally.

These are exciting times...

Yeah what an exciting time for the diy pc building space. (also because for gaming I think next-gen consoles are encroaching on the performance of entry level pc gaming, maybe can push the pc side to be even more competitive) Few years back I was almost going to go for Skylake, however didn't come close to the marketing hype that was going around.

The 3000 and 5000 (to be validated) series reminds me of the Sandy Bridge + Ivy Bridge era. But to be frank, I don't think AMD can keep up this type of performance jumps much after 5000.
I hope they can and that Intel can come back swinging, but Intel at the moment can't even get their own fabs and process stable maybe until Q1-Q2 next year?

AMD has said that 5000 will be the last on AM4 (they probably won't pull a am3+), anyway if anybody is getting AMD now and get a 5XX chipset mobo, it should have the meaningful things needed to last at very least a few years, pcie gen4, wifi ax some with 2.5Gb ethernet, usb 3.1 gen2, etc.

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/harukaze5719/status/1317389121292103681
EkhOX4tUUAEgGhX

EkhOX4uUYAA4P6O

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah what an exciting time for the diy pc building space. (also because for gaming I think next-gen consoles are encroaching on the performance of entry level pc gaming, maybe can push the pc side to be even more competitive).
I am not sure what is your definition of an entry level gaming PC though. The latest consoles are far from an entry level gaming PC in my opinion. Considering most current and last gen games can run at 4K on the Xbox Series X(perhaps with some dynamic resolution), it’s probably catching up with a mid high end gaming PC. Moreover, games are highly optimised for consoles, so you can expect even better performance.

hafiz116

Reaction score
I am not sure what is your definition of an entry level gaming PC though. The latest consoles are far from an entry level gaming PC in my opinion. Considering most current and last gen games can run at 4K on the Xbox Series X(perhaps with some dynamic resolution), it’s probably catching up with a mid high end gaming PC. Moreover, games are highly optimised for consoles, so you can expect even better performance.

The term entry level PC is very subjective but I do agree with Ken. From what’s being shown to date looks to me like the next gen consoles are for sure out performing say a Ryzen 5 3600 system with say a NVidia RTX 2060.

Have to remember console games are built specifically for the hardware that’s been hand picked to enter their qualified vendor list. Therefore they are highly tuned to perform at their most optimum vs the large hardware variety PC games are made to support.

In summary PC’s need to be very far ahead of console hardware plus relatively tuned for the latest and greatest to outperform next gen consoles.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The term entry level PC is very subjective but I do agree with Ken. From what’s being shown to date looks to me like the next gen consoles are for sure out performing say a Ryzen 5 3600 system with say a NVidia RTX 2060.

Have to remember console games are built specifically for the hardware that’s been hand picked to enter their qualified vendor list. Therefore they are highly tuned to perform at their most optimum vs the large hardware variety PC games are made to support.

In summary PC’s need to be very far ahead of console hardware plus relatively tuned for the latest and greatest to outperform next gen consoles.

Funny how we had PS4 games running at 20 fps...

sqA5VQ7.png

Yes, one advantage of console and iPhone is one (or two) config that we have to make sure works. However while that means no compatibility issues i.e. bugs (Unless you're from Ubisoft, or EA, or... everyone now actually), it tells us nothing about whether it will run faster or not. Optimization just means making the best use of the available resources. And even that is questionable nowadays.

Remember that the quality of the SDK decides the optimization, so poor code on console is still slower than good code on PC. Check AVGN's review of Atari Jaguar for a console that is supposed to be much more powerful but nobody knew how to use it. Saturn was probably true also.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.