Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Reaction score
It does matter. My NOK only enquire about the loan and did not want to proceed. At no pints did he indicate he wanted the loan. It was just an enquiry.
He didn’t ask for a single cent from these extortionists.

Different victims are at different stages, some received money, some sent money. Some received nothing but got extorted. It is closer to loan scam and extortion than loan shark for sure.

So you want to blow it up so the whole Singapore knows? Good!!!!!!!

Here is good starting point

https://www.ncpc.org.sg/councilmembers.html

Let us know how we can help.

Last edited:

Nigell

Banned
Reaction score
Different victims are at different stages, some received money, some sent money. Some received nothing but got extorted. It is closer to loan scam and extortion than loan shark for sure.

So you want to blow it up so the whole Singapore knows? Good!!!!!!!

Here is good starting point

https://www.ncpc.org.sg/councilmembers.html

Let us know how we can help.

Thanks for the link.
I have actually written to SPH and their various news outlets.
https://corporate.sph.com.sg/contact-us/for-media/media-contacts/

The purpose is for everyone to know that my NOK is a victim of a crime and that he did not borrow money from loan sharks.

Nigell

Banned
Reaction score
To all victims of these extortionists , they are not loan sharks and stop calling them as loan sharks cause it will make you complicit in their crimes.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link.
I have actually written to SPH and their various news outlets.
https://corporate.sph.com.sg/contact-us/for-media/media-contacts/

The purpose is for everyone to know that my NOK is a victim of a crime and that he did not borrow money from loan sharks.

Seems like your friend shared personal info? Plus gave bank account and received some $? We term this as forced loan.

With the money deposited, the scammers make the victim they have the right to ask for the money.

Nigell

Banned
Reaction score
Seems like your friend shared personal info? Plus gave bank account and received some $? We term this as forced loan.

With the money deposited, the scammers make the victim they have the right to ask for the money.

The police should give a public advisory whereby if they received money of dubious origin, they should give the money to the SPF for safekeeping and the SPF will deal with the money who deposited the money.
If the victims return to the money to unknown accounts, they may he charged with being the scammers .

People will be more scared of breaking the law than threats from the extortionists.

green72

Reaction score
Yes will see the MP this coming week. It’s FOC anyway.
Have you guys written to the press and the higher ups in SPF or even Minister Shan?

Have reported to the police and I must say they have been really helpful .

They have really stepped up patrols at by block. They dropped by a few times to ask how are things and the IO gave me my NOK his HP number.

Let your MP do it for you. Not to sound negative but the number of cases though could be in the thousands, doesn't warrant an emergency cabinet meeting to stop the crime.

I trust SPF higher ups and the like, to prioritize which criminal cases needs to be dealt with first.

Put forward a suggestion or solution to your MP is the best and sadly only thing, victims like us can do.

Be a volunteer here to help others is better than highlighting this to the press or law minister.

It has since been more than a year I have been advising victims how to stop the harassment.

But again, if telco do their part by preventing UML SMS adverts, less people becomes victims. Blocking their point of entry is one way. That was one of my suggestion to my MP.

Early this year IMDA inform local to local calls do not have the +65 prefix. If you see one, it should be a spoofed overseas number. That helps, but how many do you think knows this?

green72

Reaction score
I have written to the STnewsdssk, Today and TNP!

Good that you spend time and energy to create awareness.

But nowadays many read yahoo news more than our sanitized news media. Hope not to sound negative.

I hope you win your battle against the UML. But the war is a long drawn out one.

Darknorth

Reaction score
Don't be ashamed or guilty, you have been scammed. These scammers exploited you when you were vunerable. Move on! Get on with your life! As for ex employer, it's already past, move on!

Thanks for the encouragement. But just curious if ex-employer is able to sue me for contact person or workplace contact leak?

green72

Reaction score
The police should give a public advisory whereby if they received money of dubious origin, they should give the money to the SPF for safekeeping and the SPF will deal with the money who deposited the money.
If the victims return to the money to unknown accounts, they may he charged with being the scammers .

People will be more scared of breaking the law than threats from the extortionists.

When was the last time your read notices of dengue in your area?

Unless you are either caught with mosquito larvae in your house by NEA, your contracted dengue or they paste these notices at every door, most likely such pamphlets in your letter box is thrown away almost immediately.

Same goes for UML cases and awareness.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to get across.

SPF and related agency can do everything but the general public just don't bother until it hits them.

Your energy and passion is commendable but to be truthful many victims just prefer to erase this bad incident when it ends.

Nigell

Banned
Reaction score

Unless you are either caught with mosquito larvae in your house by NEA, your contracted dengue or they paste these notices at every door, most likely such pamphlets in your letter box is thrown away almost immediately.

SPF and related agency can do everything but the general public just don't bother until it hits them.

Your energy and passion is commendable but to be truthful many victims just prefer to erase this bad incident when it ends.

This Ayob Police chief seemed to cracking down on these scums of the earth.

Nigell

Banned
Reaction score
We need to put a stop to these criminals.
We need to help our fellow countrymen.

Last edited:

Nigell

Banned
Reaction score

Bro , can you list out all your suggestions and counter measures out SPF can take to stop this loan scam extortion. They actually replied to my email.
Specifically on loan scam extortion victims.
Not ideas to stop those who knowingly borrowed from Ah Long.

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JOHOR BAHRU: A loan shark syndicate (Ah Long) which was active here since last year was crippled with the detention of seven of its members, today.

Johor police chief Datuk Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay said the detention of the suspects, aged from 21 to 25 years, was made in raids on two apartment units in Senibong, Permas Jaya, here, at 7.45 am.

He said police also seized various items including cash over RM9,000, false car registration plates, drums of paint, loan books and Singapore simcard telephone numbers at the first apartment unit.

‘’At the second apartment units, police also found over RM3,000 cash, business cards, paint, cellphones and loan books.

‘’They were all from the same syndicate which was active since last year,’’ he told reporters after the raid with the Johor Police Contingent Headquarters CID (Intelligence/Operations) chief Datuk Md Yusof Ahmad in Senibong, here, today.

Ayob Khan said that, based on preliminary investigation, all the members of the syndicate were paid RM2,500 a month to carry out the work of an Ah Long including threatening victims.

He did not rule out that there were still more members of the syndicate on the loose.

‘’We will investigate it further later. This is our third operation against the Ah Long syndicates. Since January, 49 individuals had been detained and 54 investigation papers opened with 27 acted against under the law,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, Md Yusof said the modus operandi of the syndicate was to threaten in stages to frighten the victims who took loans from them.

‘’At the early stage, they will paste up pictures of the victims to shame them, before splashing red paints on their homes.

‘’If the victims still do not settle their loans, the syndicate will set the doors of their houses on fire. In fact, some Ah Long also resorted to locking the victims’ front gates,’’ he said.

Md Yusof said remands for all the suspects would be applied tomorrow for further investigation under Section 506, 427 and 435/436 of the Penal Code, Section 5(2) of the Moneylenders Act 1951 and the Prevention of Crime Act 1959. — Bernama

Shoniah

Reaction score
Of course they are not scared of police. They are not the one to do the physical harassment also. Just a bunch of cowards hiding somewhere oversea and behind their computer screen only.

Got so many +65 calls these days, when i call back it stated call fail. Stupid scammers.

Nigell

Banned
Reaction score
Dork know why people so silly to want to work for these loan scammers when they know they will be easily caught for sure. And the punishment is so heavy!

268 alleged scammers and money mules under police investigation after islandwide operation

NOVEMBER 07, 2020
PUBLISHED AT 5:00 PM
ByANG QINGTHE STRAITS TIMES

The Straits Times file

SINGAPORE - More than 250 people are being investigated for being alleged scammers or money mules following a two-week enforcement operation by the police.

Those under investigation comprised 177 men and 91 women, aged between 15 and 73.

More from AsiaOne
Read the condensed version of this story, and other top stories with NewsLite.
In a statement on Saturday (Nov 7), police said victims purportedly lost over $3 million to the suspects, who are believed to be involved in 542 cases, comprising largely of loan, e-commerce and Internet love scams.

The police said the islandwide operation was conducted between Oct 24 and Nov 6 by officers from the Commercial Affairs Department and the seven police land divisions.

Anyone convicted of cheating under section 420 of the Penal Code can be jailed for up to 10 years and fined.

Read Also
Police warn of lottery scam
Police warn of lottery scam

Those convicted of money laundering under the Corruption, Drug Trafficking and other Serious Crimes Act (Confiscation of Benefits) Act) can be imprisoned for up to 10 years and fined up to $500,000.

Police have reminded the public that they can avoid being an accomplice to crimes by always rejecting requests to use their bank account or mobile lines otherwise they will be held accountable if these are linked to illegal transactions.

For more information on scams, members of the public can visit this website or call the Anti-Scam Hotline at 1800-722-6688.

Anyone with information on such scams may call the Police hotline at 1800-255-0000 or submit information online here.

m@maboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got so many +65 calls these days, when i call back it stated call fail. Stupid scammers.

on a brighter note... some telcos have been asking for photo ID verification for prepaid card users. failure to do so will result in termination.

not sure how extensive and the outcome might be, but it is a good step forward.... let's hope all the rest of telcos join force and make it mandatory.

Reaction score
on a brighter note... some telcos have been asking for photo ID verification for prepaid card users. failure to do so will result in termination.

not sure how extensive and the outcome might be, but it is a good step forward.... let's hope all the rest of telcos join force and make it mandatory.

Will not be very effective. Nowadays scammers start using technologies like internet call or Caller ID spoofing. Not very easy to catch them.
Those number with +65 isn’t call from Singapore although it stated so. Its a call from other countries or maybe an internet call.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.