Should I switch to M1 from Singtel for 1 Gpbs plan

PinkGlory

Reaction score
I am considering switching to m1 as my current reception in the rooms is still weak even after complementing it with Samsumg mesh through my past 2 years subscription with Singtel.

Singtel will be giving me the Singtel mesh router to replace my old router. Is there a difference between this and the one m1 is giving to new subscribers? I am not sure if the Singtel mesh router will help much in terms of reception. I am staying in a hdb but layout of my home is such that my rooms are at the end with a walkway with many walls in between.

Singtel is giving me same promotion price as m1 if I recontract and also comes with the free 500mb of mobile data. If I don't switch, I could also save the application fee payable to m1. So now I don't have that many reasons to switch besides the reception issue. Unless m1 is still better in the network strength. Please advise, thanks.

RLWZ21

Reaction score
Well I rather u get AP to extend your WiFi signal than changing your network since your concern is more on WiFi signal.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are facing the wifi coverage issue, changing isp won't help.

Do you have data points in the bedrooms ?

PinkGlory

Reaction score

I am thinking of switching coz so far the people around are using m1 and they claimed their network is very good.

What do you mean by data points? I do have a Samsung mesh plugged in one of the bedrooms.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am thinking of switching coz so far the people around are using m1 and they claimed their network is very good.

What do you mean by data points? I do have a Samsung mesh plugged in one of the bedrooms.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-connect-your-home-fiber-network-4173602.html

Do you have the data points (Ethernet ports) at the rooms?

BTW, Samsung Connect is not a good Mesh solution based on the feedbacks. And other SingTel Mesh solution like Askey or Airties are also lousy. But if you have data points to connect them (Ethernet backhaul), then it is not too bad. You can buy one more unit and put in the room with weak wifi in that case.

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

well if u think so as well then change :s8:

data points are like walls with ethernet cables that pull from your main power to other parts of the room like your power socket.

as for your mesh maybe can try to relocate to a suitable area. since its pointless to set it near u when it cant get signal from the main router...

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am considering switching to m1 as my current reception in the rooms is still weak even after complementing it with Samsumg mesh through my past 2 years subscription with Singtel.

Singtel will be giving me the Singtel mesh router to replace my old router. Is there a difference between this and the one m1 is giving to new subscribers? I am not sure if the Singtel mesh router will help much in terms of reception. I am staying in a hdb but layout of my home is such that my rooms are at the end with a walkway with many walls in between.

Singtel is giving me same promotion price as m1 if I recontract and also comes with the free 500mb of mobile data. If I don't switch, I could also save the application fee payable to m1. So now I don't have that many reasons to switch besides the reception issue. Unless m1 is still better in the network strength. Please advise, thanks.

Since u know it's a reception issue, then fix your issue. Maybe u can get someone to pull a lan cable from your main router to your bedroom and connect a ap to the lan cable. That's the surest way to fix your problem.

The best way is if you could show us your house floorplan and list out the problems u are facing and the peeps here can better suggest solutions for u.

albertchng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Mesh router is better than the standalone junk router from M1 BB.

I know cos i'm with M1 for so many years that every recontract they gave me 1 extra junk router, and since my HDB flat has been fully Cat 6 wired, i use one of the M1 junk router as main router and the other junk router as access point, wi-fi coverage is very good.

The mesh router if the other pieces of the mesh are using wired connection, then can match my main router + access point model. If your other pieces in the mesh are using wireless then wi-fi bandwidth may suffer but wi-fi coverage should be excellence too.

If you think M1 is better than Singtel, i can prove you wrong, i have 1gbps fibre from M1 BB, even i connect my laptop using a network cable directly at my main router, the overall speed i can get is 200mbps down and up. Personally i find it enough for my usage, that is why i didn't make a big fuss about it. Previously before M1 BB, i used to subscribe to ViewQuest Fibre, their speedtest (laptop connect directly to main router) can achieve 900mbps down and up.

Listen to uncle , i have almost 30 years of combined IT (systems and network) infrastructure knowledge.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you think M1 is better than Singtel, i can prove you wrong, i have 1gbps fibre from M1 BB, even i connect my laptop using a network cable directly at my main router, the overall speed i can get is 200mbps down and up. Personally i find it enough for my usage, that is why i didn't make a big fuss about it.

Since you are not getting what you are paying for, you should contact M1 to get this fixed. It could be due to faulty ONT.

toothpickholder

Reaction score
I use Asus router as my room AP and I'm getting 500Mb/down on wifi and close to 900Mb up/down on ethernet

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BTW, the free SingTel "Mesh" Router (AC1900 rated) SingTel is giving out now is indeed better than the previous AC Plus router (AC1200 rated) in terms of wireless coverage, especially 2.4GHz, based on my own testing. But unlikely it will fix your wifi issue if your floor plan is problematic and your router placement is not optimum.

I am using SingTel Mesh Router and Huawei AX3 Pro now. But I have ordered an Asus RT-AX82U to replace the SingTel Mesh Router as the main router since SingTel Mesh Router is still too limited (eg: not allow you to set up DNS server).

dudley02

Reaction score
If you think M1 is better than Singtel, i can prove you wrong, i have 1gbps fibre from M1 BB, even i connect my laptop using a network cable directly at my main router, the overall speed i can get is 200mbps down and up. Personally i find it enough for my usage, that is why i didn't make a big fuss about it. Previously before M1 BB, i used to subscribe to ViewQuest Fibre, their speedtest (laptop connect directly to main router) can achieve 900mbps down and up.

Listen to uncle , i have almost 30 years of combined IT (systems and network) infrastructure knowledge.

Sounds like a technical/configuration issue with your connection. I would contact M1 if I were you. I have been on M1 500Mbps for a couple of years, never had any difficulty getting max speed on a local speedtest server.

PinkGlory

Reaction score
Actually even when I am in the living room where my router is placed, sometimes I also have weak reception problems. Hence I am toying with the idea of trying m1. Also not sure if the router given by m1 and singtel works the same in the end. If I switch to m1, I enjoyed 2 months free subscription but I have to pay for activation/registration fee. So end up not much difference.

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually even when I am in the living room where my router is placed, sometimes I also have weak reception problems. Hence I am toying with the idea of trying m1. Also not sure if the router given by m1 and singtel works the same in the end. If I switch to m1, I enjoyed 2 months free subscription but I have to pay for activation/registration fee. So end up not much difference.

Then u should get to the root of the problem lor. Change router(if u are sure that your isp broadband connection to u is ok) and then get a ap to extend wifi connection to your rooms via wired lan cable.

For all we know, just 1 wired ap in the correct location could solve all your wifi problems.
So the correct thing to do is show us your floor plan first else we are all guessing in the dark.

Last edited:

miloaisdino

Reaction score
myrepublic most worth plan (if looking for quality connection):
FWB TP-Link EC330 Router 1Gbps Broadband @ $37.79/mth
[37.79×24 + 53.50 + 56.71 + 50 (static ip) ]/24 = $44.47
around a $4-5 premium per month but guaranteed much better connection..

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I think it is probably better to switch to M1 500Mbps and then save the money to buy a better main router or pay for the LAN port installation, if the TS really wants to switch.

Last edited:

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you tried direct connection to the router? Sometimes it is the wifi channel problem. I am sure your surrounding area are saturated with multiple wifi routers.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.