Xiaomi TV Discussion Thread VI [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you read the whole article, especially the very last part, once a hacker (in this case no need to hack, cos TCL has a back door wide open for them to access anytime) got access to the os of TCL, it can jump to all the other devices in your household that are connected to the same router. Not only your mobile, but your laptop and all. Because all are in the same network. That's why the 2 security experts raise this jaw dropping security breach.

Hmmm... it seems that TCL deliberately built that back door into their devices... I won't be surprised if Xiaomi and other Chinese tech companies do it... for that matter any company making any device that can do the same... basically they have all the codes and if they push a patch to open up this backdoor, which one of us will be wiser?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you read the whole article, especially the very last part, once a hacker (in this case no need to hack, cos TCL has a back door wide open for them to access anytime) got access to the os of TCL, it can jump to all the other devices in your household that are connected to the same router. Not only your mobile, but your laptop and all. Because all are in the same network. That's why the 2 security experts raise this jaw dropping security breach.

the laptop and mobile phone have no security features?

clusionhun

Reaction score
Dead Pixel Count

Hi Guys,

Need your expertise here 😅. Just bought a 65 inch XiaoMi TV 4S from Minihelpers. Found dead pixels at a spot, but they feedback to me only 5 pixels and above can exchange so want check with you guys how to actually count the pixels 😅

Close up image of the pixels upfront:

s1ccQO.jpg

Not sure because the black shaped thingy covers 5 squares so = 5 dead pixels?
Or the shape itself consists of ~ 3 to 4 squares so = 3 to 4 dead pixels?
Or my understanding is totally wrong.

Thanks in advance guys! and sorry for the large image.

Last edited:

Guojing88

Master Member
Reaction score
Do you guys always update the Android OS immediately when it is available on your Xiaomi TV?

Any potential problems?

jin4uan

Reaction score
Do you guys always update the Android OS immediately when it is available on your Xiaomi TV?

Any potential problems?

Received mine and was prompt to update as well. Didnt update as I was too worry about any potential problem after that.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Any potential problems?

I updated immediately when prompted after installing the tv... no issue so far... so I think safe to update...

weeza77

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need your expertise here 😅. Just bought a 65 inch XiaoMi TV 4S from Minihelpers. Found dead pixels at a spot, but they feedback to me only 5 pixels and above can exchange so want check with you guys how to actually count the pixels 😅

s1ccQO.jpg

Use solid colours to check. Red, Blue, Green, White and Black

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got a question concerning Chromecasting on this 65" Xiaomi tv to those with experience using Chromecast...

I tried casting a football highlights video from a website and the effect was great! Big screen and smooth playback. The video was running at 720p.

I then tried using MX Player on a Samsung Galaxy S8 and Chromecast one of the videos I shot using the phone's camera... unfortunately, MX Player kept caching, you get that spinning wheel, and then the video plays for a few seconds and then it does that... totally jerky and not smooth at all...

I find it a bit strange that streaming from a website and then casting is smoother than playing a video direct from my mobile phone leh... is it because the video file is captured at much higher resolution and bitrate than say the online video stream? Anyway to make the playback smooth?

Reason I ask is cos might be marginally more convenient to stream my own video captures from my mobile phone to the TV rather than from my desktop PC instead...

Thanks!

joeltng

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

s1ccQO.jpg

I don't think that's dead pixel. It looks more like debris in the light diffusing layer/behind lcd panel in between it and the light source. Saying so as it looks irregular and doesn't line up with the pixels you've taken

Also does it come with Netflix and is it laggy? Because i saw a Carousell ad which the seller says Netflix is laggy

Netflix is fine. Only slowdown i noticed is when watching HDR content if you try go into the settings menu it will be slower but mostly okay. I think also need to check which version mi tv seller has

joeltng

Reaction score
Hi Folks, can anyone tell me if the Netflix app on XiaoMi 4S supports Netflix in 4K quality? I'm reading some reports that it doesn't and wanted to confirm with folks here.

my international 65" set can do 4k in Netflix

theepicflyer

Reaction score
Update on the dead backlight problem.

Messaged minihelpersshop on Shopee yesterday and got nothing but automated replies. Gave up and called them in the afternoon. Spoke to a guy, sent him a video at his request. Then he suggested we bring it to their warehouse at IMM to get a replacement. Yeah, bring a 55" TV to IMM.

So I told him no and that they should deliver to my house. He said he would contact again today to set an appointment, and gave an estimate 17th-20th Nov earliest. I received nothing from him today.

So I guess this is a buyers beware warning. It's cheap for a reason. Be prepared for issues and sub-par customer service. Will update again.

Here's a more detailed description of the problem: After about 5-15min of video playback, especially 4K or HDR content, the backlight starts to flash or sometimes turns off completely. The system and LCD layer function perfectly fine. I can still navigate around the menu and everything. I tried factory resetting, happens in Netflix, YouTube and when playing a file off my external SSD connected via USB.

And an update since a few of you seem interested:

The Minihelpersshop guy arranged for the technician to come today, 19th Nov. 9am-11am was the given time range but the guy only came at 12:30pm. Turns out it's a guy with the Xiaomi service center / store at Funan, not Minihelpersshop.

I show him the issue and he says he's never seen something like that happen before. He suspects it could be a problem with the source, particularly singling out my external SSD.

He took apart the back of the TV and swapped some components and asked me to test. I tested with a file on my external SSD, a 4K HDR Bluray movie I torrented. The problem showed itself again after several minutes.

So he took it back to the service center for testing and said he would bring a new one back at 6pm if they can't fix it.

He shows up again at 7:15pm with the original TV and says they found nothing wrong with it. He says he strongly believes it is malware on my SSD that killed the motherboard ._.

That's very sus but whatever I will test it for a few days.

clusionhun

Reaction score
I don't think that's dead pixel. It looks more like debris in the light diffusing layer/behind lcd panel in between it and the light source. Saying so as it looks irregular and doesn't line up with the pixels you've taken

Thank you and the other guy whom replied for the feedback appreciate it! and your right, I checked it and its not a dead pixel. Tried panning the camera around and actually see it behind my mouse cursor when I placed it there. Looks like its really a debris kind of defect inside the panel or something.. But yeah the response from them is the same as others to bring it to IMM or do a refund and they'll come collect it.

Honestly thinking if this could be a reliability concern down the road.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Netflix is fine. Only slowdown i noticed is when watching HDR content if you try go into the settings menu it will be slower but mostly okay. I think also need to check which version mi tv seller has

Looks to me is hit by hard object during transport or packing.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Here's a more detailed description of the problem: After about 5-15min of video playback, especially 4K or HDR content, the backlight starts to flash or sometimes turns off completely. The system and LCD layer function perfectly fine. I can still navigate around the menu and everything. I tried factory resetting, happens in Netflix, YouTube and when playing a file off my external SSD connected via USB.

The Minihelpersshop guy arranged for the technician to come today, 19th Nov. 9am-11am was the given time range but the guy only came at 12:30pm. Turns out it's a guy with the Xiaomi service center / store at Funan, not Minihelpersshop.

I show him the issue and he says he's never seen something like that happen before. He suspects it could be a problem with the source, particularly singling out my external SSD.

He took apart the back of the TV and swapped some components and asked me to test. I tested with a file on my external SSD, a 4K HDR Bluray movie I torrented. The problem showed itself again after several minutes.

So he took it back to the service center for testing and said he would bring a new one back at 6pm if they can't fix it.

He shows up again at 7:15pm with the original TV and says they found nothing wrong with it. He says he strongly believes it is malware on my SSD that killed the motherboard ._.

You should bring your ssd and test with another set to confirm. Even with other atav brand, If both showing same symptom then your video file has issue.

GoodBetterBest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the Xiaomi 4S 43in, I find the height of the TV insufficient to put a soundbar directly infront of it if I don't mount the TV.

The screen is about 6.5cm from the table.. The Xiaomi Soundbar already 8.7 cm while the Redmi Soundbar is 6.3cm high, just clearing the gap.

I looked at the Creative Stage Air also.

Anyone thinking the same ? Does it make sense to put the sound bar behind the TV ? Any other options I can look at ? May should consider regular speakers, if not I may have to settle for Redmi Soundbar.

Thanks very much... :)

VacheronLim

Reaction score
For the Xiaomi 4S 43in, I find the height of the TV insufficient to put a soundbar directly infront of it if I don't mount the TV.

The screen is about 6.5cm from the table.. The Xiaomi Soundbar already 8.7 cm while the Redmi Soundbar is 6.3cm high, just clearing the gap.

I looked at the Creative Stage Air also.

Anyone thinking the same ? Does it make sense to put the sound bar behind the TV ? Any other options I can look at ? May should consider regular speakers, if not I may have to settle for Redmi Soundbar.

Thanks very much... :)

can consider propping up ur TV slightly using those rubber/silicone pads, or even those that people installed at the feet of their furniture works too, it should bring the TV up by another 1cm or 2cm (although may not look the most pleasing on ur eye)

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Did you try another file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.