Downgraded my prushield private hospital plan

wira

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...nt-all-patients-to-pay-part-of-hospital-bills

looks like same case for motor claims with patients adding 'extras'

" A 37-year-old woman stayed seven days in hospital for abdominal hernia repair. Of the $46,000 bill, the surgeon's share was $31,900, or five times the norm. It transpired that while in hospital, she also had her breast augmented, and a tummy tuck with the fat transferred to her buttocks, but since these are not covered by insurance, none of this was stated in the bill."

• A patient was admitted for 16 hours for inflammation of the gall bladder. The tests showed no inflammation and no treatment was needed. However, the patient was given a series of unrelated screening tests, including an electrocardiogram, a magnetic resonance imaging scan and a computerised tomography scan. Screening is not covered by insurance. The bill came to $11,000.

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the insurers upon finding out, will they stop renewing the shield plans?

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a question, government plan still can take government class A ward right?? Just no cashback from rider?

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a question, government plan still can take government class A ward right?? Just no cashback from rider?

Government plan as in just medishield life and no integrated shield plan?

Or the class A for integrated shield plan?

greentiger

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A doctor friend of mine actually told me that the opposite is true: government hospitals are better for major illnesses and private is better for non-major.

He told me that government hospitals have more funding, so they have the latest and most expensive equipment available, so they can give you the best chance of recovery if you are very sick. However, private hospital will be more comfortable. So if it's not serious then you might as well go private for the comfort.

But this is hearsay, so don't take my word for it.

Govt hospitals are safer for major illnesses.

You have all the junior doctors on duty after office hours in case any complications develop.

nautilus

Master Member
Reaction score
I was helping my Mun review her Prudential class A shield plan as she was in a similar situation as well. She’s 70 and boy do the premiums jump after 70.

I did a lengthy comparison of the various insurers offering class A and B1 ISPs vs age and plotted it on a graph. It was a tedious process as i had to enter all the data manually from the numbers on the various insurers website. It’s pretty interesting to see how different insurers strategy are. One for example gives a lots of freebies on their health app, with premiums earlier in life higher than the rest but still affordable, and they start to really squeeze their customers as they get older with premiums a huge difference over the next highest insurer.

One of them who’s our nation’s trusted insurer, maintains reasonable premiums until after 90 where the premiums increase beyond some of the other insurers.

I think it’s wise to downgrade to the standard MSL once the premiums become unaffordable , which is usually around 60+ years old. Those people who insist and decide to stay on the private plans will inevitably pay through their nose. Eg. Around $120k till 95 on a B1 plan.

Project_Xco

Reaction score
Other than comfort, what's the advantage of taking govt class A insurance plan vs B1 insurance plan?

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was helping my Mun review her Prudential class A shield plan as she was in a similar situation as well. She’s 70 and boy do the premiums jump after 70.

I did a lengthy comparison of the various insurers offering class A and B1 ISPs vs age and plotted it on a graph. It was a tedious process as i had to enter all the data manually from the numbers on the various insurers website. It’s pretty interesting to see how different insurers strategy are. One for example gives a lots of freebies on their health app, with premiums earlier in life higher than the rest but still affordable, and they start to really squeeze their customers as they get older with premiums a huge difference over the next highest insurer.

One of them who’s our nation’s trusted insurer, maintains reasonable premiums until after 90 where the premiums increase beyond some of the other insurers.

I think it’s wise to downgrade to the standard MSL once the premiums become unaffordable , which is usually around 60+ years old. Those people who insist and decide to stay on the private plans will inevitably pay through their nose. Eg. Around $120k till 95 on a B1 plan.
which is the nation's trusted insurer?

nautilus

Master Member
Reaction score
i reckon just comfort. you will receive the same standard of care be it if you are in C or in A

Let’s see what the differences between the 2 closest comparison, class B1 and B2 are:
- ward: 6 vs 2 per room. Some people prefer more people in the ward
- toilets in room. Just ask the nurse to help you to the toilet l
- food. Better food but honestly, hospital food sucks
- aircon. B2 ward are now equipped with “air coolers” so fine
- doctors. You’ll supposedly see the same doctor if you’re in B1. But for B2 if your case is more complicated, it will be handled by a senior doctor anyway
- bragging rights. I’d rather have money in my pocket
- TV. I’ve Netflix so no thanks

Hence the difference is lesser than it seems.

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
The current premiums for age above 60 may not be accurate enough to decide the long term shield plan as some insurers might just want to lock the insured now. Later raise and raise premium until can’t afford.

nautilus

Master Member
Reaction score
The current premiums for age above 60 may not be accurate enough to decide the long term shield plan as some insurers might just want to lock the insured now. Later raise and raise premium until can’t afford.

You are completely right. The premiums today are not an indication of the premiums tomorrow. Some insurers can choose revise their premiums as they wish, or to pull out of lesser plans. Take Prudential for example, they do not have B1 plans now so it’s either A upwards or nothing.

Kaypohji

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think main diff should be just if u wanna stay and share the room facilities with lesser ppl or more or not at all

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take Prudential for example, they do not have B1 plans now so it’s either A upwards or nothing.
Prudential still offers the Standard Plan, which is a standardized Integrated Shield plan designed for public hospital B1 ward coverage. They just don't have an "as charged" B1 plan.

OCamal

Reaction score
Prudential still offers the Standard Plan, which is a standardized Integrated Shield plan designed for public hospital B1 ward coverage. They just don't have an "as charged" B1 plan.

Same situation for AXA where it does not offer as charged B1 plan, only standard B1 plan. But one minor difference between AXA and Prudential with this regard is AXA offers rider to cover co-insurance and deductibles partially to their standard B1 plan but Prudential does not offer any rider to the standard plan. Most other insurers with as charged B1 plan do not offer riders to the standard plans either except NTUC. Whether a rider makes sense financially could be another discussion.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.