Storage Full, Boot-loop, Update Error 14, HELP!

Toyfac

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, not sure of this is the right place.
Need help

Just came back from Apple Orchard, did not go to restore stage as i hold hopes of getting back my data.

It all started with
1) Data Storage full.
2) Deleted some files.
3) Restart
4) keep restarting
5) contacted Apply support
6) Recovery mode
7) Updates
8) The iPhone ïPhone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (14)
9) Do the updates again, same message.
10) Make appointment to Orchard Apple.
11) Did the recovery- Update- Same error, did it twice.
12) Genius say to restore and lost data.
13) i walk away pinning hope, someone smarter than Genius have a hack.

Thanks for reading.

Do throw me ideas. or best someone who actually recovered from this, how was it done?

icyflame

Master Member
Reaction score
Are you able to see the normal home screen? If yes, just back up and use iCloud to restore your data

Toyfac

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for he replies, it never go back into the home page.
Now upon power up, it is in recovery mode... sad...

icyflame

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for he replies, it never go back into the home page.
Now upon power up, it is in recovery mode... sad...

I encountered this before and ended up just restoring it via iCloud. Good thing my 1Password was sync to my iPad as I can’t even rem my appleid.

If you have iCloud, you can do likewise

jesssss

Reaction score
Hi Toyfac, i saw your post on another forum too can't remember if it was apple support community or reddit. saw you mentioned apple orchard and it struck me that you're from singapore too. I had this exact issue happen to me 15 hours ago, i havent even been able to sleep as i was busy trying every possible solution i read online. i have all the memories of my trips that i did not back up. i regret it so ***** much now but i really cant understand why there isn't a solution to this, why can this just happen so suddenly and there's nothing we can do about it? why cant they just let us idk offload stuff and delete applications or be able to make space through itunes for the software update? or have a recovery ios that can just boot the phone back up and maybe let us save everything back everything up before the phone malfunctions? i don't have much hopes anymore but have u managed to recover your data? i really hope you'll see this and hope to hear from you

aptget

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem few days ago.

Use another PC / Mac and recover from there.
Try with another cable.

Once that’s done and able to restore, do your recovery from there
I hope you backed up previous phone before you did any thing.

acme15

Reaction score
Hi, did anyone manage to resolve this update error 14? I got error 14 on PC update and on a MacBook I got error 9. Happened to iPhone that has reached full storage. Used original cable.

blurnard

Reaction score
Hi there

My colleague had encountered this error and a hosts of other error codes in the attempt to upgrade OS on a near full storage phone...

R u upgrading OS versions from at least 2 generations to IOS14?

If yes, the only option now is to wipe off phone and restore...meaning all data is wiped

acme15

Reaction score
I think I was on iOS 14, probably just 1 version before the newest iOS. My phone just out of the blue switched to the apple logo screen and remained like that. My storage is full and the phone has been laggy that day too but i did not do anything about it as I was out. Got into recovery mode and tried to update the iOS but couldn't work. I did more search and it seems like a common problem for people whose phone storage is nearing full, but Apple doesn't acknowledge this problem anywhere. Have chatted with 3 tech support on this but just got template answers. Hope this serves as a cautionary tale to those who have yet to back up but are approaching full storage capacity. Apparently i4 tool software (in Chinese, but there may be English sw soon) can update it using an older beta version but it's mixed success. I have yet to restore to a much older backup. Still hoping for a solution...

I saw lots of discussion on this youtube comments section.
https://youtu.be/aQTObeAUzkQ

jeffprobst

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my phone was on boot loop on face after I tried to did a hard reset due to faceid not available. it has been bootlooping since Friday until I went to Apple centre today. for whatever reason, the phone manage to get booted up but my Face ID and ambient sensor were faulty after diagnose.

acme15

Reaction score
Hello, I'm happy to report that I manage to get into my iPhone 7 without restoring from an old backup!

Had to update iOS to 14.2 beta using i4 tool following the steps here.
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/cGvp1jhdkvSdbkbEdpkjDw

That older iOS probably frees up enough space for me to boot up successfully.

Phew. Backing up all my data now!!!! Hope this helps those who encounter the same error.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.