Casual racism at the playground

Peasantboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Brought my toddler to the playground earlier today and there were these 3 Malay kids playing at the playground structure.

When I approached the slide to let my toddler have a go, they kept laughing and pointing at my kid then they told me he looks “funny”. I asked them why and one of them said “he looks like my classmate xxx (some Chinese name)”.

Was quite shocked at the casual racism displayed by these kids (primary school age). I really didn’t expect such behavior by young children.

As a parent, do you have similar experiences? How do you react?

BwaySaiDonk

Banned
Reaction score
there are always these riff raff who display this kind of rude behavior
their parents probably didnt bring them up with good values
i make it a point to inculcate tolerance and understanding in my kids

you can only control certain things
that being said, kids nowadays are used to multi-cultural settings an I have great hope for our youth (i work with kids in a voluntary capacity)

PsyClick

Reaction score
Imo it is perfectly normal for kids to congregate together via common characteristics and ostracize the odd one.

Can be color. Can be curly hair. Can be unbranded bags.

Actually I see this happening for adults as well. A group of colleagues speaking Chinese to one another and the only other odd one no catch ball to the conversation.

Our kid may likely do the same outside supervision in school. I will think it's a good opportunity to teach the kid to be tough against such scenarios, and to be more sensitive so they can avoid being hurtful to others

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You got picture of your child? Not everything is racism. Maybe really have physical defect

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Brought my toddler to the playground earlier today and there were these 3 Malay kids playing at the playground structure.

When I approached the slide to let my toddler have a go, they kept laughing and pointing at my kid then they told me he looks “funny”. I asked them why and one of them said “he looks like my classmate xxx (some Chinese name)”.

Was quite shocked at the casual racism displayed by these kids (primary school age). I really didn’t expect such behavior by young children.

IMHO.
Maybe you can share where is the casual racism ?
The title of this thread and what you have written, there is.

Takechan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not defending the boys' behaviour, but it doesn't seem like racism IMO.

Nothing to do with Chinese or Malay. Even you quoted him as saying, "he looks like my classmate XXX" and not "he looks like a Chinese" or something similarly racially offensive.

More like they found something funny in one of their friend's classmates. Probably a physical feature? Or perhaps they didn't use the right words to express how they felt your boy looked like his friend?

Though nothing was mentioned about the immediate reaction, I hope you had reacted more positively to remind them to be nicer to one another.

sencha99

Reaction score
Perhaps the Malay kids just weren't tactful, after all they are just at primary school age.

luckygal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing racist. Don’t everything also racists. It’s TS who is racist. He is assuming ppl are racists coz they different race.

BrOwnTeddy

Banned
Reaction score

Erm... "He looks like my classmate xxx" and you call it casual racism? :s11:

Some people say that I look like a relatively famous personality.
Some people say I don't look Singaporean.
I go Thailand, Indonesia, people think I am a local Thai Chinese or a Malaysian.

Point is, people of all ages have their opinions.

Ictstudent21

Reaction score
TS,Dun overthink....

Define Casual Racism ?

I don't see anything wrong in that comment made by the kids ....

Would you come here and rant if an Indian girl says you look like chow yun-fat .....or would you go around screaming " Issit because i am Chinese ?!?! "

:s8:

m/mink

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You don't come and drama and play race card la.

networked

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing racist. Don’t everything also racists. It’s TS who is racist. He is assuming ppl are racists coz they different race.

Ya lo. I brought kids to playground since they learn to walk. Play with other kids no issue diff races. I don't even stand that close or listen to their kids chat. Also nv see other parents do that. Even if they play most of time, u only heard kids shouting with excitement.

Ts story very cool story or think too much.

Sent from Toilet While Making Cake. using GAGT

Last edited:

teambbq

Reaction score
Nothing racist, maybe your child really looks like the classmate?

But for you to point out their race...I thought that’s unnecessary. You could have just NOT mention their race.

jq75

Honorary Member
Reaction score
tenor.gif

Jon1994

Reaction score
We all need understanding here. Slinging something back at someone who first slings a racist remark won't help anyone :(

Ghostpel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing racist, maybe your child really looks like the classmate?

But for you to point out their race...I thought that’s unnecessary. You could have just NOT mention their race.

Who are you to assert that there is no racism? Were you present and experienced the situation? Do not question someone who personally experienced it first hand. There are good reasons why TS think it is racism assault.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.