[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyleong

Master Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can try this?

If you did tried this, do feedback and let's us know the outcome.

But if you don't have spare PSU, I actually got like 4. I stay in the East. You can PM me, bring your NAS over and try.

Thanks for your kind offer. I will search for a PSU in my home. I should have one somewhere, need to dig deeper.

As I do not seen flashing blue/amber lights someone suggested my PSU faulty is of a higher possibility.

loganrunning

Reaction score
Thanks bro for the advice :s12:

I received my set few days back just three day times after 11/11. I order my hard disk and DS920+ separately but all comes well packed. Setup os a breeze! plug hard disks in, connect to my Singnet modem and configure using my phone app and the fun starts :s13:

I have a few questions, if anyone could help advise:

1. so far all my computers,iOS devices can connect to the file server, except for andriod tablet, I guess may be I need to start the NFS service?

2. Anyone connect the NAS to two different broadband network before? I know DS920+ has two lan plug ins, one I plug to Singnet modem, I actually have another SCV broadband connection modem, if I plug to the second port on NAS does it works by allowing file sharing between the two network?

3. Anyone runs ExpressVPN before on the NAS? how to go about doing that?

Sorry for silly questions, still novice exploring ha ha.....

1. may be firewall and/or permission settings on either nas or tablet
edit: try using the ds file or ds cloud apps as starting point.

3. i guess you mean using a vpn for your nas to connect to the outside world? if so, it should be possible. I am using Surfshark on mine (OpenVPN), i'd expect the ExpressVPN setup to be similar.

Last edited:

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can try this?

If you did tried this, do feedback and let's us know the outcome.

But if you don't have spare PSU, I actually got like 4. I stay in the East. You can PM me, bring your NAS over and try.

Thanks for your kind offer. I will search for a PSU in my home. I should have one somewhere, need to dig deeper.

As I do not seen flashing blue/amber lights someone suggested my PSU faulty is of a higher possibility.

But all this in-built PSU for Synology NAS are expensive. Cheapest 200W is like $148. Even more expensive then PC PSU 750W (Gold).

mainframe

Reaction score
1. may be firewall and/or permission settings on either nas or tablet
edit: try using the ds file or ds cloud apps as starting point.

3. i guess you mean using a vpn for your nas to connect to the outside world? if so, it should be possible. I am using Surfshark on mine (OpenVPN), i'd expect the ExpressVPN setup to be similar.

1. Yes I just try using the app DS File and it can login to the NAS, so guess the andriod app I used is using NSF or something, I have no problem in the past using it to access my other storage at home.

3. Yes referring to connecting to VPN from NAS so that my IP will not be visible or when need to access oversea sites.

loganrunning

Reaction score
1. Yes I just try using the app DS File and it can login to the NAS, so guess the andriod app I used is using NSF or something, I have no problem in the past using it to access my other storage at home.

3. Yes referring to connecting to VPN from NAS so that my IP will not be visible or when need to access oversea sites.

1. good to hear it's working for you. as a point of info, i was setting up the same thing for a friend (he share's a flat with other tenants). by default, the NAS has firewall rules that denies access by default. i forgot about this, and ds file initially could not connect. I suspect it was some default setting somewhere.

3. i think expressvpn website will have instructions. basically in my case (from memory), in nas, settings, network, create connection --> openvpn, enter server settings, credentials and any other inputs. save, click connect, and you're good to go.

mainframe

Reaction score
1. good to hear it's working for you. as a point of info, i was setting up the same thing for a friend (he share's a flat with other tenants). by default, the NAS has firewall rules that denies access by default. i forgot about this, and ds file initially could not connect. I suspect it was some default setting somewhere.

3. i think expressvpn website will have instructions. basically in my case (from memory), in nas, settings, network, create connection --> openvpn, enter server settings, credentials and any other inputs. save, click connect, and you're good to go.

Thanks sharing! I guess the old andriod app I am using is so troublefree so I have been using it for many years, ha ha guess when I am more stable with other NAS feature, I will start to try set NFS service to try if it works for this old app, else will use DS Files.

I connected the second lan port to my starhub optical router, it does detect the network and got a second IP connection, but it can't be detected by device connected to these second boardband connection. I guess it is because my starhub modem is not at same cabinet and in one of my room and that why, will try again if got some time this weekend.

salvare000

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone advise?

I'm looking to purchase a 6 bay NAS and I'm thinking of getting the Seagate 16TB Exos HDD from Amazon/Newegg. Anyone knows how the warranty works?

jimmyleong

Master Member
Reaction score
Life is strange.... really strange and unexpected.....

By some miracle, after leaving my DS1815+ alone, dead for a week with all hard disks removed, it came alive after I tried powering it up. I was not willing to give it up just yet.... Even though I have already ordered the 100ohms resister.

So I quickly unplugged the power cable and slotted all my hard disks into the NAS and wow, it powered up again, and initialized.

Now I am able to access my NAS and quickly rebuild my affected volume (remember I died after I changed a hard disk which crashed).

It is now rebuilding at 0.5%... I wonder how long it will take.

No way I am going to power down my NAS unless absolutely necessary. It was a frightening experience.

Problem is my NAS is currently located at a place that is not where it should be, as I was "repairing" it. Guess I will leave it there for a while, or for a long while.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe I should taped my crossed fingers?

Thank you all for those who have advised and help me.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Life is strange.... really strange and unexpected.....

By some miracle, after leaving my DS1815+ alone, dead for a week with all hard disks removed, it came alive after I tried powering it up. I was not willing to give it up just yet.... Even though I have already ordered the 100ohms resister.

So I quickly unplugged the power cable and slotted all my hard disks into the NAS and wow, it powered up again, and initialized.

Now I am able to access my NAS and quickly rebuild my affected volume (remember I died after I changed a hard disk which crashed).

It is now rebuilding at 0.5%... I wonder how long it will take.

No way I am going to power down my NAS unless absolutely necessary. It was a frightening experience.

Problem is my NAS is currently located at a place that is not where it should be, as I was "repairing" it. Guess I will leave it there for a while, or for a long while.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe I should taped my crossed fingers?

Thank you all for those who have advised and help me.

Where did you ordered the 100ohms resistor from? What power rating you got?

jimmyleong

Master Member
Reaction score
Where did you ordered the 100ohms resistor from? What power rating you got?

Oh I ordered Taobao, China. I was too lazy to go down to Sim Lim Tower. Boy I missed that place. Used to go there shopping for electrical parts.

I can pass you some if you need, when they arrive. I bought a pack of all different resister value.

One of the fixes for some models involve soldering a 4K7 resister. But not for my side.

StaRChO

Reaction score
Yest, my hse suddenly had a power trip and turns out its my synology 915+ was the cause of the issue. Just seconds before it trips, i saw the synology box blue light blinking... i am unable power up the box thereafter already..

I tried changing power cable but it didnt work.. just logged a case with them.. hopefully the data is still intact. Hope the support can give a soonest response.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yest, my hse suddenly had a power trip and turns out its my synology 915+ was the cause of the issue. Just seconds before it trips, i saw the synology box blue light blinking... i am unable power up the box thereafter already..

I tried changing power cable but it didnt work.. just logged a case with them.. hopefully the data is still intact. Hope the support can give a soonest response.

As long as you are not using Btrfs in raid 5 you are safe.

StaRChO

Reaction score
As long as you are not using Btrfs in raid 5 you are safe.

I reformatted into btfrs raid10 few months back. Originally it was the synology own format decided to move to btfrs when i transfer all the HDDs over to this new box

So do you know which component spoilt in my case? Is it the adapter?

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh I ordered Taobao, China. I was too lazy to go down to Sim Lim Tower. Boy I missed that place. Used to go there shopping for electrical parts.

I can pass you some if you need, when they arrive. I bought a pack of all different resister value.

One of the fixes for some models involve soldering a 4K7 resister. But not for my side.

Yah man, those were the day. How many did you buy?

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just changed my PC. I was logging into Synology NAS with out problem via 192.168.XXX.XXX:5000 on my old PC.

Then I tried to login to the Synology NAS again and it keep saying cannot.

So I reset the NAS and then login to Admin with blank password and change the password. It asked me to login again but show errors says :

192.168.XXX.XXX:5000 you are not authorised to access this service

I tried like 10 times, still the same. Bo bian, I power up my old PC and then tried to login from there and it shows 192.168.XXX.XXX:5001 instead and I could get in.

Any expert here can explain what went wrong?

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You mean your Synology DS915+ is the cause of the power trip?

You changed power cable means you have another power adapter that has similar power output rating as the original power adapter? Or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.