lets share hw our love affair wf Linux started

tazzie

Master Member
Reaction score
reeed said:
Don't you think there already are too many stickies on the OpenSource forum ? Half the thread listings are occupied by them stickies. Quite annoying.

Perhaps a FAQ would be a better idea for some of the sticky threads.
maybe i've come to a point where i've given up. at one stage, i was up for consolidating the stickies, but seems like anyone who posts stupid question, still asks the stupid question. not as if reading the stickies would be of any help. if people find that it helps, then i will do it, but if the shallow question (with answers in the stickies) continue, then i dun see the point. then again, no one has an excuse to say that they can't find the answer, becos it would seem to me that a lot (read: a lot, not all) of people don't seem to know how to use the "find" functionality of this forum.

so, the question lies...is this the way the opensource community in this forum "helps"? well, i believe in helping, and many long time posters have already laid the ground work for them to be able to search the answer out. my question back would be, how do we progress if people keep asking the same questions?? search it out, and if you find a similar thread, ressuract the bl00dy thread and start the discussion going again. oh yes, and i hate the half-wits that ask questions with only 1 sentence in the entire post. classic.

sorry reeedn, this is not pointed at u ;)

jf

Reaction score
reeed said:
Don't you think there already are too many stickies on the OpenSource forum ? Half the thread listings are occupied by them stickies. Quite annoying.

Perhaps a FAQ would be a better idea for some of the sticky threads.
ditto what tazzie said. And come on lah, "half" is an exaggeration... That bad meh? You know what, at times, i've had half a mind to fill up the entire first page with the stickies, so that somebody could at least read something!!! But of course, as experience has shown (have u seen those "sticky" popular topics?), this will not work at all... It's something to do with the PEBKAC lah.

tazzie

Master Member
Reaction score
heh... i was thinking somewhere long that line too. or maybe get HWZ to direct the user directly to the search page before allowing them to post a question...

PEBKAC huh?
laugh.gif

fortytwo

Reaction score
tazzie said:
heh... i was thinking somewhere long that line too. or maybe get HWZ to direct the user directly to the search page before allowing them to post a question...

PEBKAC huh?
laugh.gif

My usual solution for PEBKAC situation:
unrestricted use of LART on user

LART (Luser Atitude Readjustment Tool):
/ Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool. 1. n. In the
collective mythos of scary devil monastery, this is an essential
item in the toolkit of every BOFH. The LART classic is a 2x4 or
other large billet of wood usable as a club, to be applied upside
the head of spammers and other people who cause sysadmins more grief
than just naturally goes with the job. Perennial debates rage on
alt.sysadmin.recovery over what constitutes the truly effective
LART; knobkerries, semiautomatic weapons, flamethrowers, and
tactical nukes all have their partisans. Compare clue-by-four. 2.
v. To use a LART. Some would add "in malice", but some sysadmins do
prefer to gently lart their users as a first (and sometimes final)
warning. 3. interj. Calling for one's LART, much as a surgeon
might call "Scalpel!". 4. interj. [rare] Used in flames as a
rebuke. "LART! LART! LART!"

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
alamak, seems after bcomin sticky, posting for this thread has stopped...
ppl really dun read stickies... :s22:

jf

Reaction score
szeli said:
alamak, seems after bcomin sticky, posting for this thread has stopped...
ppl really dun read stickies... :s22:

aint it wonderful right? :s22: But u've just given me an idea..... :evil:

amiatrome

Reaction score
reeed said:
By the time I left Uni, the era of the Unix shell account was coming to an end. The uni stopped giving us shell accounts, and as a consequence the student community became a colder and less friendly place.

I use the free UNIX shell here . People who are curious can go take a look.

jf

Reaction score
haha, u know there was a time when these shells were very much sought after and rare... At least, that's what i remember.

low13

Reaction score
Back in 1993, I was tasked by my girlfriend (now wife) to find a way to do work at home instead of going to NUS in order to share the server to do projects, etc. Within Comp Sci Fac itself, they had 3 common terminal rooms where everyone could log into the central sun server, or login to the S17 new building for additional access. Dialup was possible, but the lines were often full, and dialing up to leonis was also terrible.

We just had tons of comp sci compilations to do. C, C++, Pascal, lisp, prolog, whatever.

Together with another requirement to network up her home for her siblings for file sharing and ppp gateway, we decided to download the 44 floppy slackware.

When one was corrupted, the effort of installation would be put on hold until we returned to the damned campus to download (faster using their network than use our phone bills) and rawrite into the disk.

That was the start.

Between now and today, Linux has been a platform for my whole family for stability with sacrificed use for peripherals and applications. I wine when I can. I Crossover when I can. I vmware when I can. Between then and now I use linux for a variety of tasks otherwise performed with more expensive hardware and more expensive (licensing) software. At first from 96 till 99, it was all about outdoing everything my company wanted to achieve with Microsoft. From 99 to 02 I used it extensively for all aspects when I was running my vendor / solutions provider company -- voip gatekeeper, radius account for billed wireless and/or voip stuff, web/application/3-tier/whatever, mysql/oracle/postgresql, adsl gateway/fw, honeypot, security, hosting, monitoring. After I left to join this MNC, it's where Linux gets really stretched to the limit where I start to understand why there are a few things users want and cannot get from the enterprise point of view.

Can I have a dynamically growing fs using LVM on a MD, such that the fs is supported by RHEL (cannot be reiserfs, xfs, jfs)? How about LVM snap copies (HP-UX's/IBM lvcreate -m) instead of snap shots (linux lvcreate -s)? How about dynamic LUN allocation from SAN (EVA5000, XP512)? Does it have backup and boot and restore file metadata and structure TO and from tape like HP-UX's make_tape_recovery?

But these 10+ years of linux really got me picking up quite a lot of self-learnt concepts which others have difficulty picking up if they don't have access to them if they come from, say, HP-UX. What are the chances you can get a LVM aware person from a pool of linux folks from, say, a pool of HP-UX or AIX folks? Who can be product independent when it comes to clustering software (M/C service guard vs Solaris sun suite vs RH Cluster suite vs ha-linux vs... ). Who can scope based on system-based or SAN-based or NAS-based async replication or mirror split online and dynamic-sized when it comes to database snap backups? How about being backup software independent like Tivoli Storage Manager, or Veritas Netbackup, or Arkeia, or Legato Networker, or...? How come Linux can mount SAN volumes which are formatted for Sun's UFS or Sun/HP's VxFS or HPUX's HFS?? What kind of OS IS THIS?!

I'm ranting too much. What I'm trying to say is this : against Microsoft, it was hardly any fight when I deployed linux as and whenver possible. Even now. But against enterprise unix OS's, it may seem probably on the losing side at first, but the more you stretch linux to the fullest, the easier it is for you to pick up the various components these so-called enterprise unix OS's have. Linux offers the best bang for the buck by containing, as much as possible, all the server/enterprise range of features commonly found in other operating systems. Yet all the strengths of a unix system.

Not to mention all my personal and now 80% (*sigh* 20% require windows for SIP-based MSN messanger -- company policy) of work desktops have been fully linux for the past 3 years. It's only recently I've begun to use Microsoft for various deployments (Oracle OID and Unix NIS migration to Active Directory)

weiyang76

Master Member
Reaction score
Hurray! to have heard all these successful stories!

I have my own success with linux also, will share with you guys when i track back to this thread. gotta sleep. gdnite.

rainyrhythm

Reaction score
during the win98 days i forgot how i got into it.. read somethere there is an alternative os.
then hop to www.linux.org where i know winlinux (or somthing like that. i think it's dead already) it's does a good installation... remain using the fat32 partition.. just create a new directory and stores all files there without modifing my partition.
that time i am also amazed how it switched one os to another flawlessly with lilo....
winlinux uses kde as desktop.. i am quite astonished how much i configure it....
but then i got board easily cause there's isn't much programs unlike windows. and i deleted it.
around 2000 i met a net friend.. he says he uses linux... i told him my experience and i deleted it.. i was surprised that he didn't argue back that linux was good and go-install-back crap. now i understand why he didn't argue back then.
around 2002-3 i found knoppix and it brings me back to linux. it can be booted from a cd-rom without any installation whatsoever, then reboot without the cd it goes back to normal. now i am more techie then before and i am more amazed with linux capailities. very good scripting language.. e.t.c and now it has more programs then before. some don't even have it in windoze.
soonafter i installed redhat9.0 on my mum com (oops, that time i can't configure to work with my raid on my own com) , played with rpms and makes and such, then switched to mandrake again on my mum's com. know about sourceforge and such.. and the more i am amazed at. then i switch to fedora and finally gentoo as now i know the basics and i can install using text-mode. the docs are also very detailed. and i managed to work with my raid with ataraid module, but it's only for kernel2.4 . but i remember i broke my gentoo on my mum's comp and my own one about 3x.
i guess i still love linux it's because of it's flexability and control. you can do almost anything in the computer then windoze. now i also quite a commandline junkie, i type about 50 characters to convert a image while others make about 20 clicks to do it. of course configureing can be sometimes a pain in the ass, it after it works it will work flawlessly and beautifully, every time.

reeed

Reaction score
Digital Unix V3.2C (c. 1997)

This is the boot log from my University server (Unix shell accounts for all students !), recorded in mid 1997.

vmunix: Alpha boot: available memory from 0x850000 to 0x6000000
vmunix: Digital UNIX V3.2C (Rev. 148); Thu Jun 5 08:15:38 EST 1997
vmunix: physical memory = 96.00 megabytes.
vmunix: available memory = 87.70 megabytes.
vmunix: using 360 buffers containing 2.81 megabytes of memory
vmunix: tc0 at nexus
vmunix: tcds0 at tc0 slot 4
vmunix: scsi0 at tcds0 slot 0
vmunix: rz0 at scsi0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0 (DEC RZ26L (C) DEC 440C)
vmunix: rz1 at scsi0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0 (SEAGATE ST15150N 0011)
vmunix: rz2 at scsi0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0 (DEC RZ26L (C) DEC 440C)
vmunix: rz3 at scsi0 bus 0 target 3 lun 0 (SEAGATE ST15230N 0638)
vmunix: tz4 at scsi0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0 (EXABYTE EXB-85058SQANXR1 07T0)
vmunix: ln0: DEC LANCE Module Name: PMAD-BA
vmunix: ln0 at tc0 slot 5
vmunix: ln0: DEC LANCE Ethernet Interface, hardware address: 08-00-2B-BE-56-98
vmunix: scc0 at tc0 slot 5
vmunix: bba0 at tc0 slot 5
vmunix: fb0 at tc0 slot 6
vmunix: unrecognized keyboard ID (0xffffffff), defaulting to LK401
vmunix: LK401 keyboard, language English (American)
vmunix:
vmunix: Mouse/Tablet has failed to reset.
vmunix: 1280X1024
vmunix: DEC 3000 - M300LX system
vmunix: Firmware revision: 6.5
vmunix: PALcode: OSF version 1.35
vmunix: dli: configured
vmunix: vm_swap_init: warning /sbin/swapdefault swap device not found
vmunix: vm_swap_init: in swap over commitment mode

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.