The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Are there many issues with this lenses? I am considering the 1.67 lenses and wanted to use Zeiss/Hoya. But I was also advised to consider hitop lenses too.

Coating wise, hoya no horse run. Many pairs of my hoya lens have no issues on coatings especially hard coat very durable. Not even tiny scratches after years. So if you want a pair that last long long you can consider hoya, eg progressive lens. But AR multi coatings after some years will still breakdown. U see those tiny spots or dots you know liao. Still can see if its not too huge patch.

If u wear for fun or casual or follow trend every year change new specs then just take budget lens lar.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I think it’s (some) are from... you know where.

Those Brand’s you mentioned are still in the market, but if you are using a better tier lens and you want to drop lower grade.. my advice is better not. But of course if you want to see the grade difference then bu fang shi shi hahaha...

I helped ppl in downgrading and are ok as expectations are managed. So might be possible.

U sure made in japan export to sg can be so cheap mah? More likely maybe its japan brand but made in sg lab. Else how to maintain so low cost?

Last time also got brands like ILT, plastic plus, OSA etc.. not sure all these still in the mkt or not. One of these days i wanna switch back to these brands see got progressive lens or not.

Gangster boss can share?

crunsik

Reaction score
many thanks for the advise. I am quite concern about the coating and durability. Perhaps I’ll stay off these budget lenses.
In terms of lens coating and durability, surely lose out to the bigger Brands..
But as I mentioned in terms of price, it’s really cheap so for those that wants budget lenses, it is an option for us to consider.

crunsik

Reaction score
Yea. I thought of using hitop just for rough usage. I’m currently using Crizal but the coating starts to come off after warranty ends. How timely no? I think then it might make sense to use either Zeiss or Hoya.
Yup. The coating drops off within a year. For hoya lens their coating at least can last 3 years. Some of the coatings on my hoya lenses lasted many more years. So i think coating really depends on batches or maybe at the time of applying the coating whether done good job or not. Hitop lens Can do for rough usage. I only using as my running specs or when going out short while for a hair cut etc will wear hitop lenses with a cheap frame. Even tio scratched or wat no heart pain.

But if want clarity quality etc cannot compare to hoya or zeiss lar. Last time i always use this lenses. But overall quality still not too bad as a budget lens.

crunsik

Reaction score
Yea. Thanks for sharing the source of these lenses.

Considering the difference is abt $200 perhaps it’s better to stick to the better lenses.

Could I check which Zeiss lenses would be good for ofc use?
I think it’s (some) are from... you know where.

Those Brand’s you mentioned are still in the market, but if you are using a better tier lens and you want to drop lower grade.. my advice is better not. But of course if you want to see the grade difference then bu fang shi shi hahaha...

I helped ppl in downgrading and are ok as expectations are managed. So might be possible.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Rough usage better to go with a more basic lenses. Don’t want damaging your expensive lenses in a short duration.

It might be stronger and tougher but lenses scratch against the same surfaces, likely to yield similar scratch damages.

The durability refers to how long the wear and tear starts.. and more scratch resistant.

Yea. I thought of using hitop just for rough usage. I’m currently using Crizal but the coating starts to come off after warranty ends. How timely no? I think then it might make sense to use either Zeiss or Hoya.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
When you mention office, do you have presbyopia/laohua?

Yea. Thanks for sharing the source of these lenses.

Considering the difference is abt $200 perhaps it’s better to stick to the better lenses.

Could I check which Zeiss lenses would be good for ofc use?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Then consider these options,

Antifatigue w/blue light filter
Crizal eyezen
Zeiss energise me
Hoya sync 3

Single vision
Zeiss blue protect
Essilor crizal blue capture
Hoya nulux w/blue control

Not in order of merit/quality.

Nope don’t have either. From what I read it’s probably the RX lenses.

yuelei

Reaction score
Good afternoon, I am wondering what brand makes good lightly tinted lens, just like Johnny Depp often wearing? (Sorry I don't have sufficient post count to include links). I feel that most of tinted lenses are very reflective, which is not esthetically pleasing. Btw, I got a light blue Tokai lens (Paris Miki branded) last year and the actual color is much lighter than their demo lens. Is this common that the final lens color is different from their demo? Thank you.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Higher index lenses will cause the colour to be lighter. Usually asking the lab to tint darker than sample and it will turn out fine. Heads up will be given that lens colour might not turn out to be exactly the same. If it’s very reflective then is the lens multi coated or Uncoated?

Johnny Depp kind or RDJ goes for slight gradient tint, darker top slightly lighter bottom

I would recommend Zeiss or Hoya for tinting. Just personal opinion.

Good afternoon, I am wondering what brand makes good lightly tinted lens, just like Johnny Depp often wearing? (Sorry I don't have sufficient post count to include links). I feel that most of tinted lenses are very reflective, which is not esthetically pleasing. Btw, I got a light blue Tokai lens (Paris Miki branded) last year and the actual color is much lighter than their demo lens. Is this common that the final lens color is different from their demo? Thank you.

lowsesbbfa

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Youngsters dont care if fit them or not la. Just want follow the trend and many value shops pop out after owndays selling cheap frames like under $100 etc.

In the 80s, if u go those meighbourhood shops all selling only big plastic frames at that time metal frames are quite rare, not quite here yet. Then start of the 90s, small tiny metal frames start invading sg mkt. Why i know? Becos at that time, im in secondary school and remembered clearly my classmates started to change to gold metal frames. Im still wearing those big plastic frames that give the nerdy vibes and get shunned by everyone. At that time gold metal frames are chic and have those extra sun shades clip on. Early 90s was a transition period from big plastic frames to small metal stainless steel frames, especially gold colored are a hit back then.

Then as metal frames got more poplular in the 90s, plastic frames started to fade out. At one point of time, i could not even find any shops that sell plastic frames. I still remembered walking into shops asking for normal plastic frames. All said they dont have. Maybe just a few pairs only for those army wear. Black matte plastic frames only. That was around mid-90s.

Eh my memory of 90s ish different...yes, metal frames popular especially by 1995, mostly round but quite tall compared to 2000s when frames were as short as 25mm.

lowsesbbfa

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the later half of the 90s, metal frames started to evolve and titanium frames started to come out. Those optical staff always recommend titanium because 飞机铁 are light and durable. Always said titanium are used to made aeroplanes.

At the turn of the century, more evolution as earlier full rim frames start to fade and semi-rimmed i.e. half-rim together with rimless frames became popular. There was a short time when rimless frames flooded the mkt. After that, beta titanium/memory/flexon came into mkt. Thats when the tagheuer/silhuoette/ic!berlin era came. Near to end of 2000s, i think around 2007.

After these died down, retro frames staged a come back. Thats when big retro plastic frames trend came back in the 2010s. Then kpop exploded and big round metal frames came back again and lasted until now.

At this turn of the decade 2020s, will the kpop trend continue or dies down and another trend comes along? Looking at history its very likely and in just a matter of time.

I hope it goes away soon. Bcos it’s not just xmm xdd wearing oversized specs, got a lot of lao funker/aunties trying to be hip and following kpop style as well. Honestly looks just sia suay on many people.

And because everyone is wearing big ass frames, very hard to find compact frames nowadays, wle.

lowsesbbfa

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup. The coating drops off within a year. For hoya lens their coating at least can last 3 years. Some of the coatings on my hoya lenses lasted many more years. So i think coating really depends on batches or maybe at the time of applying the coating whether done good job or not. Hitop lens Can do for rough usage. I only using as my running specs or when going out short while for a hair cut etc will wear hitop lenses with a cheap frame. Even tio scratched or wat no heart pain.

But if want clarity quality etc cannot compare to hoya or zeiss lar. Last time i always use this lenses. But overall quality still not too bad as a budget lens.

Do you think hitop lenses can work for rimless? I want to try rimless as a second pair of specs, but don’t want to spend so much on lens for when it breaks/chips.

yuelei

Reaction score
Higher index lenses will cause the colour to be lighter. Usually asking the lab to tint darker than sample and it will turn out fine. Heads up will be given that lens colour might not turn out to be exactly the same. If it’s very reflective then is the lens multi coated or Uncoated?

Johnny Depp kind or RDJ goes for slight gradient tint, darker top slightly lighter bottom

I would recommend Zeiss or Hoya for tinting. Just personal opinion.

Thank you boss. Next time I will try Zeiss.

Matrix21

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Gangsterkia Bossss, is visio good? Heard any reviews or feedback from your friends or customers? I think they are the only shop in sg providing repair and re-painting right?

Was thinking in future if my frames discoloured i can salvage them by bringing to them for repainting. Want to find back the same frames so many years ago is hard. Likely manufacturers no stock or stop production. :(

i went to visio to get my frame repaired and it was quite good experience. They repaired my nose bridge support within a day and price was $5 lesser then quoted.

i would definitely go to them when i make my eye glasses next time they seem legit good. There was one angmoh whose working inside when i was sitting down to try my eye glasses and he surprised me by saying something about hwz forum. i was stunned lol

lowsesbbfa

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i went to visio to get my frame repaired and it was quite good experience. They repaired my nose bridge support within a day and price was $5 lesser then quoted.

i would definitely go to them when i make my eye glasses next time they seem legit good. There was one angmoh whose working inside when i was sitting down to try my eye glasses and he surprised me by saying something about hwz forum. i was stunned lol

AMDK knows about hwz?! I thought they only go on reddit

lowsesbbfa

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apart from TPY central, what other town centres got more than 1 spectacle shop to go ssrr/compare prices?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe he’s the one that’s able to do the repairing of frames.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.