[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you wanna get a NAS, better to go for the 4 bays one. Gives you more flexibility.

Agreed. Especially the disk size is so large now. Getting a 2 bay machine and run mirror is not quite price effective.

dannyboy88

Reaction score
Newbie here, can I know why nobody is talking about DS720+? I am pounding between this model or the ds220+

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any ups to reccomend?

Just need to power enough for shut down ca. Le.

This? or something similar also can

Like to share my experience for those looking for a cheaper alternative UPS

APC-Back-UPS-700VA

For those who is looking for "not a white elephant battery" and cheaper alternative compared to what was discussed before. CS650. This is approximately <SGD$130, only 3 outlet (you can use a multiplug) and only 390W.

Product Technical Info
APC%20Back-UPS%20700VA.jpg

Link to buy from: APC-Back-UPS-700VA (Note: Type-A USB not included)

Connected to Synology with UPS PowerChute port (Type-A USB)
ybuCdvt.jpg

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Especially the disk size is so large now. Getting a 2 bay machine and run mirror is not quite price effective.

Yah lor. 4 bay is minimum. For DIY NAS, at least 6 bay, then makes MORE sense.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very poisonous thread...LoL

Finally arrived today...

after hosting everything on cloud for pass 3yrs decide to slowly migrate back...
Considered freenas, but no time... sysnology is build for idiot, plug-in all disk and power on.....:s13:

Wah! Nice! How much did you buy? RAM is 4GB or you upgraded?

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking to buy theDS920+ after reading through this forum,

about the HDD,

as the data from my computer is 4.1 TB

i am thinking to get 2 x 6 TB and set up at SHR1 and then 1 x 8 TB as standalone,

then after it is all setup, I will transfer my files from computer to the 2x 6TB and then make a copy in the 8 TB, is it okay plan ? or i am missing something ?

or the 8TB should be an external one which i periodically power up and backup from my 2 x 6TB ?

Personally, I feel that NAS should be used for SHR (RAID).

The 1 x 8TB (or whatever size) just plug to the USB port and backup from there will do.

This is what I feel lah.

WoShiNiDeCrone

Reaction score
anyone having issues accessing your NAS using quickconnect?
it was still working yesterday night

my NAS quickconnect screen shows 'domain name cannot be resolved. Please change it to 8.8.8.8.'
Nothing was changed on my DNS setting.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

my NAS quickconnect screen shows 'domain name cannot be resolved. Please change it to 8.8.8.8.'

i don't use QuickConnect because of this. It relies extensively on Synology's uptime.

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah! Nice! How much did you buy? RAM is 4GB or you upgraded?

Using all the lazada vouchers i can find... ~715$ for DS920+, ~129$x4 4TB N300.

After install almost everything, the memory utilization only 15%.
plan to get another 4/8GB crucial when ready to play with vm or upgrade to DSM7.0... no plans for caching as of now.

Main complain, very noisy due to indexing... disable indexing for folders, re-sit all HDDs, and put a very thick book on it top... much better now... how did you do the sound proofing ?

Last edited:

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ok here, can quick connect from phones, make sure NAS IP not changed or configure statics.

Last edited:

WoShiNiDeCrone

Reaction score
i don't use QuickConnect because of this. It relies extensively on Synology's uptime.

I think it’s ok now...shitty singtel router...noticed that after reset, the dhcp doesn’t reset...it gives starts giving out ip 1.170. Then what’s the point of me setting start and end ip from 1.2 to 1.199. Should be ip conflict with one of my IOT device
ZZZ reconfigure my static ip, seems ok

blankies

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi. Can I confirm that Synology can detect APC CS650 ? and that APC CS650 uses its LAN port to connect to a RJ45 to USB connector to connect to a USB port at the NAS?

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi. Can I confirm that Synology can detect APC CS650 ? and that APC CS650 uses its LAN port to connect to a RJ45 to USB connector to connect to a USB port at the NAS?

Yes to both qn. It could be an RJ11 port on the UPS end but no matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.