2nd laptop

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Didn’t own a Apple lappy before. Hence would like to find out more on their products.

Q1- the cycle count means what?
Q2- their i5 good enough for photo processing editing?

Any diff btw their icore 5 and normal laptop i5? Is it coz they using iOS so much smooth and efficient?

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Didn’t own a Apple lappy before. Hence would like to find out more on their products.

Q1- the cycle count means what?
Q2- their i5 good enough for photo processing editing?

Any diff btw their icore 5 and normal laptop i5? Is it coz they using iOS so much smooth and efficient?
All batteries have charge cycles. Apple has published information on how they calculate charge cycles, but the gist is, Apple considers a full 0-100% charge as 1 charge cycle. So if you discharge to 50% and charge it to full twice, it's one charge cycle. This is apparently different from how PCs calculate charge cycles (based on my testing with Dell and Lenovo laptops that I regularly use now, more than my Mac. :s13: ). AFAIK, the Lenovo ThinkPad and Dell Latitude laptops I've used also provide charge cycle information, but you might need to look deeper.

Apple's OS architecture is very different from Windows. Windows carries a lot of legacy crap, and this is also why it isn't optimised. The same goes for Android vs iOS. You can say macOS is properly optimised for the hardware. Apple by nature is not afraid to cut off old dated technologies and embrace newer ones, ensuring that customer OS experience remains a focal point.

Resource sufficiency is subjective. If it comes to processor, it's usually only a factor of time to complete the job (usually seconds more on the i5 vs the i7). For most users, this difference isn't an issue. For professionals who go through hundreds of photos/videos a day, all those seconds add up to hours. So it depends on your use case and what you are willing to accept.

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read abit on Apple battery charge.

Does that mean once it reaches the total number , the battery is dead and have to use the charger plug on? I assume this apply the same to windows laptop?

I’m used i7 acer before and now is i5 Dell.

Both like starting to lagging liao where I haven even really editi. I just open every single photo only.

Hahaha then I have to restart and restart so as to make it fresh

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I read abit on Apple battery charge.

Does that mean once it reaches the total number , the battery is dead and have to use the charger plug on? I assume this apply the same to windows laptop?

I’m used i7 acer before and now is i5 Dell.

Both like starting to lagging liao where I haven even really editi. I just open every single photo only.

Hahaha then I have to restart and restart so as to make it fresh
All lithium batteries have a limited lifespan, and degenerates over time (even when not charging but just sitting around in a factory). This applies to all devices across brands.

Processing power is something that photo editing can demand, so older laptops tend to lack it, even older Macs. I wouldn't want to be editing photos on my old 2011 MBP, but I know I can if I want to. This is normal for computing. macOS tends to be more efficient with the OS, so the longevity would show on older laptops if you compare with Windows laptops of the same year. I definitely cannot do editing on a 2011 PC without wanting to smash in the screen or something. :s13:

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for ur quick reply.

I got one more concern that is MacOS hardisk so small, if keep required to update for patches like iPhone iOS, how much hardisk space it required normally? 5-10gb?

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i5? now is buy M1 MacBook liao. performance with battery efficiency n low thermals. I wouldn’t buy any of their intel laptops.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks for ur quick reply.

I got one more concern that is MacOS hardisk so small, if keep required to update for patches like iPhone iOS, how much hardisk space it required normally? 5-10gb?

When I read your thread title, and given the nature of your questions, I assumed you were looking to purchase a 2nd hand Macbook. If so, depending on the year/model, you might be able to upgrade the storage.

Frankly, I've not had too many issues with my Mac, but I had opted for 512GB storage at point of configuration back then - and paid the pretty penny.

i5? now is buy M1 MacBook liao. performance with battery efficiency n low thermals. I wouldn’t buy any of their intel laptops.

Yeah. When I had to get a laptop last year, the M1 was yet to launch and the Intel was looking long in the tooth. As I had owned Macs through two architectural transitions in the past, I knew better than to buy old architecture. This was largely why I went back with a Lenovo T14s AMD. Not quite macOS, but it also works enough to be a distinguishing feature. Some of my friends were quite scandalised though, given that I used to be a strong Mac advocate. I still think Cook messed up the company big time.

But that said, if TS is looking to buy BN, then yes M1 processor please.

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes bro..
I’m looking at 2nd hand set as 1st hand is pretty expensive man.

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M1 is the next level of technology which Apple using? Then next time got M2, M3?

falcon2000

Reaction score
M1 is the next level of technology which Apple using ? Then next time got M2, M3 ?

This year apple would release M2. If you are looking for second hand it better choose their laptop with M1.

My experience with i5 MacBook Pro it easily got hot when do photo editing using lightroom and photoshop.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes bro..
I’m looking at 2nd hand set as 1st hand is pretty expensive man.

Do you really need the portability? IMHO 2nd hand Apple laptops are not worth it. Either they are pretty old (2015 or earlier) or the price is not cheap.

Consider new Mac Mini M1 if you do not need the portability. It is the cheapest way to go into the macOS ecosystem.

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree on getting Apple Silicon Macs now, I have the M1 MBP and it’s very speedy with really impressive batt life too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.