NTU/NUS/SMU 2021-2022 Intake

marigoldhl

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This thread is created to facilitate chance rating for NUS, NTU and SMU admissions (AY2021/22). Do create a HWZ account if necessary if you would like to comment. (If you are enquiring for admissions for SUTD/SIT/SUSS please find relevant threads within the subforum instead of posting here)

Chance rating format:
For JC – please provide your rank point (and indicate whether it is with MT or without MT – please take the higher.)
For Poly – please provide your poly course and 5th/6th sem CGPA, as well as any relevant O level grade as per individual course admission requirements (e.g. AMath for those applying to CS/Biz).
Please indicate citizenship status as well i.e. Singaporean, PR or international student.

Note:
  • A certain percentage of places will be reserved for Aptitude Based Admission
  • If applying to NUS, please state first choice since there is first choice admission points (2.5pts for A Levels, 0.04pts for Poly)
  • If you are a poly grad applying to NUS Computer Science/Engineering, please note that if you do not meet AMath/ Poly Math requirements, your application to SoC will be considered as a ABA application no matter how high your CGPA is.

Reddit (r/SGExams) Admission Megathread: https://www.reddit.com/r/SGExams/comments/ln8f9a/uni_4th_university_application_hub_megathread/

Application Dates
NUS/NTU Poly – 1 Feb to 21 Feb 2021
NUS A Level – 3 working days after A Level results release to 19 Mar 2021
NTU A Level – Day of A Level results release to 19 Mar 2021
SMU – 16 Oct 2020 to 19 Mar 2021

IGP/Useful Links
NUS
NTU
SMU
Historical IGP
Historical GES

Previous year threads
2020-2021 HWZ
2020-2021 Reddit
2019-2020 HWZ
2019-2020 Reddit
2018-2019 HWZ
2018-2019 Reddit
2017-2018 HWZ Part 1
2017-2018 HWZ Part 2
2017-2018 Reddit
2016-2017 HWZ Part 1
2016-2017 HWZ Part 2
2015-2016 HWZ
2014-2015 HWZ

May the odds be ever in your favour. :s12:

Last edited:

Lagoon Triggerfish

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a 3rd year nanyang polytechnic student graduating in 2 months time. Please rate my chances of getting into the NUS / NTU / SMU courses listed below. Thank you.

Polytechnic course: NYP Business Management

5th semester GPA: 3.56

Olevel Amath and Emath: B3

Attained some business competition certificates

No CCA in poly

NUS courses applied:
1st Choice - Business Administration (3.65)
2nd Choice - Arts and Social Sciences (3.63)
3rd Choice - Business Administration (Accountancy) (3.70)
4th Choice - Real Estate (3.44)

NTU courses applied:
1st Choice: Business (3.61)
2nd Choice: Accountancy (3.74)
3rd Choice: Economics (3.54)
4th Choice: Public Policy and Global Affairs (3.50)

SMU courses applied:
1st Choice - Accountancy (3.53)
2nd Choice - Economics (3.53)
3rd Choice - Business Management (3.66)
4th Choice - Social Sciences (3.66)

hwonjay

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a 3rd year nanyang polytechnic student graduating in 2 months time. Please rate my chances of getting into the NUS / NTU / SMU courses listed below. Thank you.

No CCA in poly

NUS courses applied:

NTU courses applied:

SMU courses applied:

I'm from NUS so I'll speak only abt the sch. I think for biz and accountancy a bit hard unless got appeal. Real estate confirm can bc I know of ppl who got in with lower GPA. FASS got chance also but depends on ur cohort population. All the best!

ambitiousraspberry

Reaction score
Information Technology diploma with cGPA 5 sems 3.92 (Expected 3.93 after 6th sem)

Thinking of going into NUS or SMU Law... Is it possible?

babanbo

Reaction score

No CCA in poly

NUS courses applied:

NTU courses applied:

SMU courses applied:
It's possible. From my experience of applying to biz courses last year, I have concluded that they heavily take your poly diploma into consideration. As long as you have a relevant diploma and have a decent GPA of around >3.5, the unis might shortlist you for an interview provided you submit your application via ABA (aptitude based admission). But I suggest that you include more experiences and achievements, if not just write a very compelling essay in your application to increase your chances of being shortlisted.

I got into NUS biz with a GPA of 3.6 through ABA, for my application I included my CCAs, music background, overseas experiences in school, major projects that I have participated in etc. For NUS you just have to show that you are able to apply your business knowledge and critical-thinking skills while going through the interview. I also heard of people with around 3.5 GPA getting into SMU and NTU biz interviews, all from biz courses in poly. Your performance during the interview will be the deciding factor so do try to make a strong impression.

As for the other courses you have listed, I have to point out that if the courses are lower on your rankings, even if your GPA surpasses them, there's still a low chance of you getting in because the unis prioritise those who rank those courses higher (based on my experience). Even your second choice will be affected. So do think about the ranking of your choices carefully.

Also don't let the GPA 10th percentile fool you because a higher GPA than that course's 10th percentile doesn't guarantee a place for you at all (of course it's the same for vice versa, lower GPA doesn't mean you can't get in). Unfortunately, I've seen students with higher GPA or RP not getting into the courses that they thought they could easily get into. Do look at the number of intake places in the course too. I put NTU economics as my first choice and it's 10th percentile is 3.54. Guess what, I wasn't even considered. Turns out there are very limited places (100+) and the course seems to prioritise JC students more especially since they have econs background. They will probably only consider you if your GPA is much higher. The IGP is a hoax lol.

In a nutshell, I guess they are heading more towards the direction of students having a relevant background and showing that they have a passion for the course, so if you have decided on business do go for it. You stand a great chance! I wish you all the best in your application :)

Last edited:

Abhorsen

Reaction score
Information Technology diploma with cGPA 5 sems 3.92 (Expected 3.93 after 6th sem)

Thinking of going into NUS or SMU Law... Is it possible?

sp.edu.sg/sp/news/sp/more-polytechnic-graduates-reading-law-medicine

They don't accept a lot of polytechnic students but it's worth a try since your GPA is excellent. You may want to consider SUSS law too

You need to have A1 or A2 in in O Level English (or H1 General Paper grade of A or B) to qualify for Law

NUS:
Applicants applying for Law should possess excellent polytechnic results, a minimum grade of A2 in English Language at 'O' Level and preferably a Certificate of Merit (COM) from their polytechnic studies

SMU:
In addition to excellent O-Level grades, Law/Computing & Law applicants must have at least an A1 or A2 grade in O-Level English Language. Polytechnic Diploma applicants with the Polytechnic Foundation Programme (PFP) qualification are welcome to apply if they have excellent N-level (Academic) grades with grade 1 in N-Level English Language.

Last edited:

rashy_pace

Reaction score
Hi, i would like to apply business course for NTU/NUS/SMU, my current cgpa for 5th semester is 3.778, will i stand a chance? My cca is pretty mediocre and i’m an international student

Lagoon Triggerfish

Reaction score
It's possible. From my experience of applying to biz courses last year, I have concluded that they heavily take your poly diploma into consideration. As long as you have a relevant diploma and have a decent GPA of around >3.5, the unis might shortlist you for an interview provided you submit your application via ABA (aptitude based admission). But I suggest that you include more experiences and achievements, if not just write a very compelling essay in your application to increase your chances of being shortlisted.

I got into NUS biz with a GPA of 3.6 through ABA, for my application I included my CCAs, music background, overseas experiences in school, major projects that I have participated in etc. For NUS you just have to show that you are able to apply your business knowledge and critical-thinking skills while going through the interview. I also heard of people with around 3.5 GPA getting into SMU and NTU biz interviews, all from biz courses in poly. Your performance during the interview will be the deciding factor so do try to make a strong impression.

As for the other courses you have listed, I have to point out that if the courses are lower on your rankings, even if your GPA surpasses them, there's still a low chance of you getting in because the unis prioritise those who rank those courses higher (based on my experience). Even your second choice will be affected. So do think about the ranking of your choices carefully.

Also don't let the GPA 10th percentile fool you because a higher GPA than that course's 10th percentile doesn't guarantee a place for you at all (of course it's the same for vice versa, lower GPA doesn't mean you can't get in). Unfortunately, I've seen students with higher GPA or RP not getting into the courses that they thought they could easily get into. Do look at the number of intake places in the course too. I put NTU economics as my first choice and it's 10th percentile is 3.54. Guess what, I wasn't even considered. Turns out there are very limited places (100+) and the course seems to prioritise JC students more especially since they have econs background. They will probably only consider you if your GPA is much higher. The IGP is a hoax lol.

In a nutshell, I guess they are heading more towards the direction of students having a relevant background and showing that they have a passion for the course, so if you have decided on business do go for it. You stand a great chance! I wish you all the best in your application :)
I cant really thank you enough for this. Ik you took a long time to write this and I really appreciate it.

NTU just emailed me to submite appraisels for ABA. Meanwhile NUS and NTU no news.

Just wondering if I can submit my testimonial from secondary school as well? Since there is quite alot of things I did in sec sch (Eg. Volunteer, CCAs, Art competition, and science competition)

Lagoon Triggerfish

Reaction score
I cant really thank you enough for this. Ik you took a long time to write this and I really appreciate it.

NTU just emailed me to submite appraisels for ABA. Meanwhile NUS and NTU no news.

Just wondering if I can submit my testimonial from secondary school as well? Since there is quite alot of things I did in sec sch (Eg. Volunteer, CCAs, Art competition, and science competition)

Sorry, I mean NUS and SMU have not contacted me*

babanbo

Reaction score

No problem. And yes please do include all of them! Although more recent testimonials are preferred.

Last edited:

naf123

Reaction score
Hi guys, Apply to NUS and NTU EEE, what are my chances of admission?
CGPA 3.9 (5 Sem)
No O lvl

alphahstena

Reaction score
Anyone applying for the newly established college of humanities & sciences for NUS? :spin:
Unsure about the competition since they're taking the 1st batch this yr.

B19B612

Reaction score
Hi guys, please rate my chances:

Applied to: NUS Information Systems
CGPA: 3.98/4.0 (after graduation)
From Polytechnic (related course to IS)
O level Emath (C5), N level Amath (B3)

Thank you

Weeeed

Reaction score
High chance to be called for an interview. Probably will need to do some math/logic test

Sent from Xiaomi MI NOTE 10 LITE using GAGT

ClassyTwerkingBanana

Reaction score
Hi all, pls help to rate my chances.:s22:

Poly (5th sem): 3.73
Diploma in Pharma Science
Diploma Plus in International Business (Not sure if it even helps)
'O' levels [not sure if relevant]: English, E math both B3
S'porean

NUS
1. Pharmacy
2. Chemical Engineering
3. Nursing
4. Business Administration
5. Biomedical Engineering

NTU
1. Chem and biological chem
2. Biological Science
3. Chem and Biomolecular Engineering
4. Bioengineering

Thanks in advance :s12:

alphahstena

Reaction score
Hi all, pls help to rate my chances.:s22:

Poly (5th sem): 3.73
Diploma in Pharma Science
Diploma Plus in International Business (Not sure if it even helps)
'O' levels [not sure if relevant]: English, E math both B3
S'porean

NUS
1. Pharmacy
2. Chemical Engineering
3. Nursing
4. Business Administration
5. Biomedical Engineering

NTU
1. Chem and biological chem
2. Biological Science
3. Chem and Biomolecular Engineering
4. Bioengineering

Thanks in advance :s12:
high chance for ntu (for your first choice). nus pharmacy cut off is 3.90, hence you have to consider the ABA. not sure pharmacy science is accredited for nus chemical engineering.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.