Asus RT-AX55 and RT-AX56U

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M1 is now giving away RT-AX55 free with 1Gbps sign-up. So I guess it will become more and more popular, just like the previous free RT-AC2600.

It is a low end AX1800 rated router. It has no USB ports unlike the other Asus routers. But the CPU is still pretty good (BCM6755 quad core). 128 MB Flash and 256 MB RAM are not that good but still sufficient for average users. Most importantly it supports AIMesh. So it is very good as an AIMesh node.

Tech Spec:
https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX55/techspec/

RT-AX56U was the lowest end Ausus WiFi 6 router prior to RT-AX55. It has the same CPU, same AX1800 rating, one USB 3 port, 256MB Flash and 512MB RAM.

So RT-AX56U is quite a bit better than RT-AX55 as a main router. Still it is more suitable as an AIMesh node as well. In that case, RT-AX55 may be a cheaper option.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Other than AIMesh node, RT-AX55 or RT-AX56U may also be used as router to be put in the DB Box in case you have a better wireless router (eg: RT-AX88U/86U/82U/58U) and you are not willing to put the better router in the DB box.

The wireless function may be a bit wasted but sometimes you do not have a choice (say you do not have two LAN ports on the living room, and you need LAN access in the rooms).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy from Taobao china can use in SG?

Yes. I am using Asus RT-AX82U from Taobao.

The FW is the same for Asus routers from different region so the features are the same. You can change the language into English. The country code can not be changed but that does not affect the operation. You can change the region to Asia to be compliant with local regulations.

China set of many Asus routers have the trick of using Australia region to boost the wireless power.

The main concern is warranty. So if you want to take risks, China set of Asus routers are very good buy because of the low cost.

Recommended buy from Taobao: RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U or TUF AX3000.

China set of TUF AX3000 has the assassin mode which can turn it into 4*4 AX 160MHz on the 5GHz, just like RT-AX82U.

https://m.tb.cn/h.4P05iaI?sm=f0ce15 【WIFI6电竞 刺客梅林】ASUS华硕TUF-AX3000 无线路由器游戏千兆

Ref:
"Asus TUF-AX3000 Assassin mode - www.hardwarezone.com.sg" https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-4/asus-tuf-ax3000-assassin-mode-6422415.html

Last edited:

slowpoke

Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan,

interesting to to be able to buy routers from china.

i have a few questions.

I have the AC88u in the storeroom, and 5 of the lan ports connected to a patch panel so all my rooms have working lan points. As it is in the store room, i have 2 rooms with poor signals. living, kitchen and MBR are ok though.

- I would like to add a node in one of the rooms. Can I pair these China bought Ax routers with my SG bought AC88U? Or better to get a local AX routher?

- I would like to have the node router than can stand vertically, and not too big, what's the recommendation?

- lastly, if i were to replace AC88U, what's out there that has at least 5 lan ports (other than AX88U)? AX88U seems quite old already.

Many Thanks.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan,

interesting to to be able to buy routers from china.

i have a few questions.

I have the AC88u in the storeroom, and 5 of the lan ports connected to a patch panel so all my rooms have working lan points. As it is in the store room, i have 2 rooms with poor signals. living, kitchen and MBR are ok though.

- I would like to add a node in one of the rooms. Can I pair these China bought Ax routers with my SG bought AC88U? Or better to get a local AX routher?

- I would like to have the node router than can stand vertically, and not too big, what's the recommendation?

- lastly, if i were to replace AC88U, what's out there that has at least 5 lan ports (other than AX88U)? AX88U seems quite old already.

Many Thanks.

I tend to believe China version of the Asus router will be able to mesh with your RT-AC88U. But I do not have any local Asus router to test to confirm.

RT-AX86U is a good router to match your requirement. It has 4 gigabit Ethernet port and a 2.5G port. It is of the vertical stand type. It is ranked one of the best AX routers currently available. About RMB1699 now.

"ASUS RT-AX86U Wi-Fi 6 router review: A gaming router exclusive to Singtel - HardwareZone.com.sg" https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-asus-rt-ax86u-wi-fi-6-router-review-singtel-singapore-price

https://m.tb.cn/h.4PFvYQw?sm=62796d asus/华硕RT-AX86U高速千兆双频5700M WIFI6家用穿墙路由器 游戏加速电竞路由 5G无线电信1000M宽带AX路由器

For the node, a cheaper option is RT-AX68U at RMB999, it is of vertical stand type just like the RT-AX86U but has lower wifi spec.
https://m.tb.cn/h.4PFEpkR?sm=d0cd40 asus/华硕RT-AX68U黑武士高速千兆端口双频2700M WIFI6家用穿墙路由 游戏电竞路由 5G无线1000M宽带AX路由器

Last edited:

slowpoke

Reaction score
hi Xiaofan,

many thx for the recommendations

the AX86u actually has 5 lan ports ( the 2.5g is just faster right)?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi Xiaofan,

many thx for the recommendations

the AX86u actually has 5 lan ports ( the 2.5g is just faster right)?

Yes. It is compatible with 2.5Gbps or 1Gbps Ethernet.

Technically it can also act as a WAN port but not useful in Singapore if used as a WAN port.

slowpoke

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. this is a nice option to have - 5 ports. And it has got good reviews. seems superior to AX88U.

But i just checked it turned out i have been using 6 ports on my AC88U - 5 to the patch panel and 1 to the NAS...

Are there routers out there with 6 ports at the back?

giraffey

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. this is a nice option to have - 5 ports. And it has got good reviews. seems superior to AX88U.

But i just checked it turned out i have been using 6 ports on my AC88U - 5 to the patch panel and 1 to the NAS...

Are there routers out there with 6 ports at the back?

Yes, there are. But they are rare. Example: TP-Link - Archer AX6000.

You can consider getting a switch. This would give you the flexibility of using any router, rather than being limited by choice.

Lost_Found

Master Member
Reaction score
Also looking for a cheap asus router for node, AX55 seems to fit the bill

Sent from Samsung SM-G973F using GAGT

slowpoke

Reaction score
I just updated the ac88u firmware to Merlin, and changed some settings shared in this forum. The results were pretty good.

I can immediately see my canon printer when I turn it on from my other laptops. And able to have decent 2.4ghz speed in the bed room that used to struggle connecting.

I think will monitor and see if a node is needed still. Very happy with the change.

Lost_Found

Master Member
Reaction score
I just updated the ac88u firmware to Merlin, and changed some settings shared in this forum. The results were pretty good.

I can immediately see my canon printer when I turn it on from my other laptops. And able to have decent 2.4ghz speed in the bed room that used to struggle connecting.

I think will monitor and see if a node is needed still. Very happy with the change.
Can share some of the tweak you have made

Lost_Found

Master Member
Reaction score
Changed the setting, signal seems stronger (2/3 bar), but speed is still slow

Ordered a ax56 from TB, hopefully can work with SG asus router for Aimesh.

Xiaofan, ac88u or ax56 is a better aimesh router?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Changed the setting, signal seems stronger (2/3 bar), but speed is still slow

Ordered a ax56 from TB, hopefully can work with SG asus router for Aimesh.

Xiaofan, ac88u or ax56 is a better aimesh router?

Avoid RT-AC88U if you have not got it. It is an old model and the No 1 problematic Asus router in this forum. Some people have no issues with it, many people have issues and have to RMA to get a new set.

But if you have it already, then try to change some settings to get it working better. Go to the RT-AC88U and check it out.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...yn-networking]-asus-rt-ac88u-5201401-256.html
saw this on another forum about wifi issue on ac88. afew tried and it works.

jus sharing. i didnt have the ac88 so not sure if it really works.

In the admin console navigate to wireless>professional then:
1. Disable airtime fairness for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands
2. Disable MU-MIMO on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands
3. Disable universal beamforming on 5ghz band
4. Disable both beamforming on 2.4ghz band
5. Navigate to the main wireless screen and set a static channel for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands

Lost_Found

Master Member
Reaction score
Ya, touchwood, been using ac88u for years with no issue other than poor signal in m.bedroom which is a common problem that many encountered as well.

Finally decided to try solve the problem by adding aimesh node hence bought ax56 from TB.

Ac88u spec looks better but ac56 is a newer product. So thinking which is better to use as aimesh router

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.