NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

hellothere1812

Reaction score
Hi all, rejoining this page after couple of years! Just applied for Jan / Feb 2021 window for PDGE. Wishing everyone luck. Haven’t heard anything back from them either. Let’s hang on!

Last edited:

Taolun

Master Member
Reaction score
I see. Glad u are clear what u want. If chinese lang teaching is not your calling & of no interest then dont accept. But if u have the competency then will do our students a service.

Anyway, teaching is one thing but classroom management is another thing. It is most challenging. U must be able to gain respect amd trust from your students before u can create any impacts on them. And i really hope u do.

Good luck & all best.

Thank you for sharing 😊

Been applying to NIE for a couple of years but didn't manage to get any interview for what I wanted to teach for Upper Sec. I'm holding a private degree with industrial experience and strong tutoring background (1-1 & Tuition centres), private degree may be harder to get in (hoping to join as mid career).

Only gotten an interview at first round for Pri Sch Chinese which is way too rusty now, was told to consider to apply for Sec Sch teaching (related to my field) by the interviewers.

I hope to make an impact to students but I do worry if it will take very long to be able to join NIE (have already applied for the past 5 years).

Hence firmly decided to make a career switch to teach first to gain the full classroom exposure since there's an opening for ITE teaching, then continue to apply for NIE, understand that the structure and all will be different.

zatchbell13

Reaction score
Oh wow, seems like there already are people from the most recent application getting interviews. Anyway, I applied for PE. Guess I'll just have to wait for further news then haha

MobileAir

Reaction score
Happy for you and good luck!!!
May I know your indicated subject preferences, and also when you submitted your application? 😊👍🏼

Thanks! First choice was Pri English/social studies & second choice was what I am given now. Submitted in January (the window is quite small right so we probably all submitted around the same time).

Miloiced

Reaction score
I see. Glad u are clear what u want. If chinese lang teaching is not your calling & of no interest then dont accept. But if u have the competency then will do our students a service.

Anyway, teaching is one thing but classroom management is another thing. It is most challenging. U must be able to gain respect amd trust from your students before u can create any impacts on them. And i really hope u do.

Good luck & all best.

Thank you so much! I do have the competency for Chinese lang but I'm not as confident due to a decade of not writing it as compared to the subject I would like to teach for Upper Sec which is what I have been doing for the past decade on a daily basis and have more passion for.

Thank you for the reminder on staying connected to the students, I will keep this close to heart.

Wishing you a great week ahead! 😊

SighX3000

Reaction score
I applied jan 2021, today was my interview. I must’ve let my nerves get to me or maybe it was my slightly reserved nature, but at the very end, one of the panelists said she wasn’t getting any sense of passion from me. Walked out of the place and security guard just looked at me while I was walking over. Then he said “all the best to you yeah, be happy.” I lost it and cldnt stop crying outside (‘: advice for those going, show passion! Atb :)

escarelle

Reaction score
I applied jan 2021, today was my interview. I must’ve let my nerves get to me or maybe it was my slightly reserved nature, but at the very end, one of the panelists said she wasn’t getting any sense of passion from me. Walked out of the place and security guard just looked at me while I was walking over. Then he said “all the best to you yeah, be happy.” I lost it and cldnt stop crying outside (‘: advice for those going, show passion! Atb :)
Oh dear, so sorry to hear that!

Which level and sub did you apply for?

What done is done, just hope for the best ya? :)

Miloiced

Reaction score

Sending you a virtual hug!

I'm sure you tried your best! May all be well. Meanwhile, try to stay positive, who knows, it might just be a trial to "see" your reaction.

Have a good rest, A+ for your effort during today's interview! 😊

sladey

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that. Take it easy and hope for the best, you may have done better than expected.
I didn't know whether I did well or not, had both positives and negatives from my interview yesterday.

CherKels

Reaction score

Hey hey!! cheer up! the panel said i dont have content knowledge during the interview too haha.. but the most important thing is to not give up hope even if the result turns unfavourable!! never give up!!! fighting!

defydaniel

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that. Take it easy and hope for the best, you may have done better than expected.
I didn't know whether I did well or not, had both positives and negatives from my interview yesterday.
Hi, I went for the interview yesterday too.. was wondering how long did your panel interview last after your 5mins lesson preparation? Mine was quite short around 20mins..

MobileAir

Reaction score
Went for my interview today. It's my 2nd time being interviewed after my unsuccessful attempt last year. Both times was shortlisted for Pri Eng & Maths. Only diff is last year they allowed you to choose which subject to present on, while this time they specifically said to present on English (if it's the first subject). I had presented on Maths previously. So anw, there doesn't seem to be a fixed template which the interviewers wlll follow for the lesson presentation - the ones last year didn't even interrupt at all & allowed me to actually finish my presentation, while the ones this time interrupted & kept asking childish questions (I guess as how Pri sch students would). In the end, 5 mins was up before I could finish my intended presentation.

As for the actual interview portion, there were fewer questions posed as compared to my previous experience. Wonder if such a change is the norm for this year's applications or they didn't ask as many questions because they have already written you off? Anw, only 3 of the 5 ppl present asked questions, while last year all 5 of them including the HR opened their mouths. In the end, the whole interview session lasted under half an hour.

CherKels

Reaction score
Went for my interview today. It's my 2nd time being interviewed after my unsuccessful attempt last year. Both times was shortlisted for Pri Eng & Maths. Only diff is last year they allowed you to choose which subject to present on, while this time they specifically said to present on English (if it's the first subject). I had presented on Maths previously. So anw, there doesn't seem to be a fixed template which the interviewers wlll follow for the lesson presentation - the ones last year didn't even interrupt at all & allowed me to actually finish my presentation, while the ones this time interrupted & kept asking childish questions (I guess as how Pri sch students would). In the end, 5 mins was up before I could finish my intended presentation.

As for the actual interview portion, there were fewer questions posed as compared to my previous experience. Wonder if such a change is the norm for this year's applications or they didn't ask as many questions because they have already written you off? Anw, only 3 of the 5 ppl present asked questions, while last year all 5 of them including the HR opened their mouths. In the end, the whole interview session lasted under half an hour.

Hihi, i doubt the interview time matters because last year they took 45 mins to interview me and i still got rejected in the end. Haha! This year they took 45 mins to interview me again too :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.