TCL TV discussion thread II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjchsg

Reaction score
I got my TCL 75R635 for about 2 weeks from Shopee. Just a quick review

It is US version using Roku TV. At the first installation, I cannot use the search or voice search. After some research, find out that you must register it in US. So, I VPN to US and create a new Roku account. Then, reset the TV and use the new US-based Roku account to activate it. I get back the search and voice search function. After the setup, you don't need to have VPN in order to use the search and voice search. It is just a strange limitation from Roku.

The TV is bright and colour is vivid. Sound is ok for normal viewing. If I watch movie, I will switch to use my AV receiver 5.1 speaker.

The eARC has small glitch. If you use the TV remote to adjust the volume of the receiver, the voice will stop for a fraction of a second. I ditched the eARC and use the plain old optical link cable to connect to the receiver. I encountered one time the voice go crazy, a system restart solved the problem. The cable management slot is too small, cannot fit all the cables (HDMI, optical link). End up using cable tie to manage the excess cables.

Roku TV is very US focus. You cannot sideload apps as well. Channels are limited to western. I still have my Mibox if I want to watch channels from China. Netflix works fine. Able to stream 4k. R635 also support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I have a Synology NAS. The DS Video app on Roku is no where near the quality of the DS Video app on Apple TV. I still prefer Android TV. If anyone find a way to flash Android TV, please let me know.

WatCult

Reaction score
It is US version using Roku TV. At the first installation, I cannot use the search or voice search. After some research, find out that you must register it in US. So, I VPN to US and create a new Roku account. Then, reset the TV and use the new US-based Roku account to activate it. I get back the search and voice search function.

How useful is the search and voice search? Just wondering since I have been using the r635 for a month and still haven't figure out how to setup a VPN to get the voice search function and casting function on the tv.

spencert

Reaction score

It is US version using Roku TV. At the first installation, I cannot use the search or voice search. After some research, find out that you must register it in US. So, I VPN to US and create a new Roku account. Then, reset the TV and use the new US-based Roku account to activate it. I get back the search and voice search function. After the setup, you don't need to have VPN in order to use the search and voice search. It is just a strange limitation from Roku.

The TV is bright and colour is vivid. Sound is ok for normal viewing. If I watch movie, I will switch to use my AV receiver 5.1 speaker.

The eARC has small glitch. If you use the TV remote to adjust the volume of the receiver, the voice will stop for a fraction of a second. I ditched the eARC and use the plain old optical link cable to connect to the receiver. I encountered one time the voice go crazy, a system restart solved the problem. The cable management slot is too small, cannot fit all the cables (HDMI, optical link). End up using cable tie to manage the excess cables.

Roku TV is very US focus. You cannot sideload apps as well. Channels are limited to western. I still have my Mibox if I want to watch channels from China. Netflix works fine. Able to stream 4k. R635 also support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I have a Synology NAS. The DS Video app on Roku is no where near the quality of the DS Video app on Apple TV. I still prefer Android TV. If anyone find a way to flash Android TV, please let me know.

That's why I did not even consider 65R635 and went for the 65C715 instead. Android TV is good. Can download any apps and watch chinese or english movies and dramas.

Last edited:

wiwi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What about us channels? Still need consistent VPN after first installation? Want to watch Disney plus using local subscription.

deadkraken

Reaction score
Available for download liao[/QUOTE]

Hi, I don't see it on my Google Play store.

Also, my P715 (purchased on Lazada, seems to be Japanese version remote control) won't allow me to update firmware. I'm stuck on v132. When I put the the USB file, the system update doesn't recognize any update file. I've tried changing to *.img or Update.img but nothing works.

Anyone else have this problem?

d515s23

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey guys what's the warranty policy for tcl tv bought from giant? tcl don't even have a local website, can't find any info on it at all. or just assume no warranty?

tweety_piyo

Reaction score

i also have the 75inch R635 and i agree that the Roku TV is crap ...all the apps like made by kids and i cant seem to even find a search function in the channel store..i also use my mibox S most of the time but when netflix no choice if the content is atmos ...cause seems like Mibox S doesnt support atmos

wiwi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also have the 75inch R635 and i agree that the Roku TV is crap ...all the apps like made by kids and i cant seem to even find a search function in the channel store..i also use my mibox S most of the time but when netflix no choice if the content is atmos ...cause seems like Mibox S doesnt support atmos

I used a free VPN and started a roku us account. The app is more updated and has more features including voice search,normal search access to better channels.

tweety_piyo

Reaction score
I used a free VPN and started a roku us account. The app is more updated and has more features including voice search,normal search access to better channels.

how to use the free VPN on the TV itself ? i have surf shark but that only works with my PC/HP and Mi box s

TechZSG

Reaction score

Invest in a Shield TV/Pro and never look back :)

burpz

Reaction score

Also, my P715 (purchased on Lazada, seems to be Japanese version remote control) won't allow me to update firmware. I'm stuck on v132. When I put the the USB file, the system update doesn't recognize any update file. I've tried changing to *.img or Update.img but nothing works.

Managed to find any solution?
I downloaded Disney+ from the Play store, but cannot seem to play properly.
It will either hang or auto restart the app... Resorted to casting from phone, not playback is not all smooth. Sometimes ok, sometimes not...

Mine is the 43P715 PI, with Japanese remote...
No go with any software update (609/16/20/23). It will either hang halfway after bootup or cannot complete the initial setup.
Thus, I have reverted back to the v520 firmware that the seller provided :(

Last edited:

Nickwon

Reaction score
Sry to few guys who pmed me for r635. I can't reply due to user restrictions. So far all online shops seem out of stock for the 65" and above.

stasio

Reaction score

Mine is the 43P715 PI, with Japanese remote...
No go with any software update (609/16/20/23). It will either hang halfway after bootup or cannot complete the initial setup.
Thus, I have reverted back to the v520 firmware that the seller provided :(

Strange, V520 firmware is not released for any of our 2020 models.
Is either V3xx,V4xx(North America) and present V6xx.
Seems your models are incompatible."Normal" P715 is 2020 model and should come out of box at least with firmware V3xx.
What is full firmware version in your TV now?

Last edited:

vestige89

Reaction score
Is there anyone able to install mewatch?

I try to download from play store, but it’s not available,
After that I use xplorer put the apk file in, but unable to open, will flash out directly.

burpz

Reaction score
Strange, V520 firmware is not released for any of our 2020 models.
Is either V3xx,V4xx(North America) and present V6xx.
Seems your models are incompatible."Normal" P715 is 2020 model and should come out of box at least with firmware V3xx.
What is full firmware version in your TV now?
Will take a picture when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.