Tesla Now Available in Singapore

LoUsyGamER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agreed... from the comments here can see liao. Staying Condo or landed mostly.
Plus over news knew only saying starting to install charging stations in condos but no hear plans sayings in mscp though the govt says charging stations infra will be expanded.
The fleets companies not even wana take it up since EV is available yrs ago and the byd thingy also closed down.
Not for mass market i think. Let the hype subside first as sinkie loves new stuffs.
Hopes not another cng saga again.
Lolz

The car manufacturers are being pressed by overseas emission and other policies. Hence, it will not be surprised that they eventually would have ev as most of their fleets. Unlike the cng and hydrogen vehicles where overseas infrastructure are lacking, the supporting infrastructure and financial subsidies for ev are relatively better. If overseas government continues to press these car manufacturers, final decision for motorist could be ev or public transport.

For now, it could be good to enjoy the last 1 or 2 decades of ice vehicles, no rush to jump into the bandwagon of ev.

Never know whether the favouring of ev over ice vehicle was a strategy to up the benchmark of owning a car locally. Public transport is the main focus in Singapore. An expensive car will either remain expensive or become more expensive locally.

denial

Reaction score
I will installing EV chargers islandwide, not Tesla chargers tho. Here are some details you may want to know.

Tesla Singapore introduced Model 3 in 2 flavours and their maximum onboard chargers (for AC to DC Conversion) capacity is as follows:
1. Standard Range Plus - 7.2KW
2. Performance - 11KW

The home installation for Tesla Chargers will be AC chargers. The maximum limit for their charges are 16A, 3 Phase, which works back to 11KW. Depending on your available capacity for your
Home Electrical Installation and the model 3 that you have ordered, you can cater for an appropriate sized isolator in anticipation for Tesla installer.

Unless you are driving long hours, you really don’t have to worry about charging speed. A typical 7.2KW AC charger can get your Model 3 from 0 to 100% charge in 8-9hours. You probably need to plug in once a week if you drive mainly to work.

Does this mean that Tesla won't be able to fully utilise SP's 43kW AC charger?

How about SP's 50kW DC charger?

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The car manufacturers are being pressed by overseas emission and other policies. Hence, it will not be surprised that they eventually would have ev as most of their fleets. Unlike the cng and hydrogen vehicles where overseas infrastructure are lacking, the supporting infrastructure and financial subsidies for ev are relatively better. If overseas government continues to press these car manufacturers, final decision for motorist could be ev or public transport.

For now, it could be good to enjoy the last 1 or 2 decades of ice vehicles, no rush to jump into the bandwagon of ev.

Never know whether the favouring of ev over ice vehicle was a strategy to up the benchmark of owning a car locally. Public transport is the main focus in Singapore. An expensive car will either remain expensive or become more expensive locally.

Yeah, i dun see our neighboring countries so much pushing on these ev thingy except here. Singapore always wana be the first as usual and a small market to begin with. As much, what we want to see in a ev (design, spec...ect) will never be heard by the manufacturer for sure.

LoUsyGamER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i dun see our neighboring countries so much pushing on these ev thingy except here. Singapore always wana be the first as usual and a small market to begin with. As much, what we want to see in a ev (design, spec...ect) will never be heard by the manufacturer for sure.

Haha. True about neighbouring countries. If I stay in our nearby countries, I won't be scared of the sudden change. As technology matures, maybe no need to even install the ac chargers, I could just plug in from home wall socket through a converter.

Headache of high rise housing.

jerseystronghk

Reaction score
Will be fine.

Does this mean that Tesla won't be able to fully utilise SP's 43kW AC charger?

How about SP's 50kW DC charger?

Should work find using the CCS charger heads from Shell Recharge and SP. Don’t forget Tesla is quite aggressive w their own supercharger rollouts and dense locations mean its easier to blanket a place (see HK as example)

To note: we’re getting the new LFP based batteries from the Shanghai factory, latest software upgrades suggests decently fast charging, especially in warmer climate such as ours.

Just check the reddit threads from actual owners in harsher conditions, lots of misinformation here...

spurman

Reaction score

Only in europe. China. Americas r pushing ev hard and harder than sg.

Our neighbours produce oil mah. So no incentive to cheong ev but eventually will have to when all the resr doing so.

Critical is still getting the infra up to support ev.

And yeah. Peob 5yrs down the road. Cost to make ev will be like cost to make petrol diesel cars. When batteries prices comes down hard presumeably.

But i still tink sg will price cars high. Ll one.

myth_shenhua

Reaction score
Anyone received any updates from Tesla SG? Can anyone confirm if it will come with onboard mobile charger?

jerseystronghk

Reaction score
Anyone received any updates from Tesla SG? Can anyone confirm if it will come with onboard mobile charger?
The agent said they were not including UMC units at the moment since it was their judgement that most owners would not be able to utilize it since they don't have access to an outlet (her words not mine), and have priced down accordingly. They're focused more on getting the superchargers up at the moment.

I guess this cohort is more HDB/condo owners than landed owners? Who knows.

You can always get a 3-prong off the HK Tesla store under Model 3 Upgrades & Accessories Brochure. It's about 5K HKD

(HWZ won't let me post a URL sorry)

Last edited:

myth_shenhua

Reaction score
The agent said they were not including UMC units at the moment since it was their judgement that most owners would not be able to utilize it since they don't have access to an outlet (her words not mine), and have priced down accordingly. They're focused more on getting the superchargers up at the moment.

You can always get a 3-prong off the HK Tesla store under Model 3 Upgrades & Accessories Brochure. It's about 5K HKD

That’s a pricey sum... looks like I will hold on my decision to make the reservation.

Had originally planned to install an electrical outlet and charge at home which will be a great cost saving.

cubana

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

whahahah really bare borns model 3. charger also don't give. Who do they think they are, Porsche? :s13:

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s a pricey sum... looks like I will hold on my decision to make the reservation.

Had originally planned to install an electrical outlet and charge at home which will be a great cost saving.

It’s only 500-1000 dollars, not that significant vs price of the car. If they don’t remove it and include in price of car then have to pay government more in taxes.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As usual, chatted with some workshops yesterday that does hybrids and EVs. Most of them are equipping themselves for this EV thingy.
One thing i concluded, govt is gonna press on this Go - Green plan, good for the environment. Doing up the chraging infra ASAP.
On the other hand, govt aren't aware of the repair cost. Make sure deep pockets if wana keep driving EVs that are out of warranty.
From the workshop mgr:
For example: A set of new batteries for a Nissan Leaf cost $12k. At this moment, no one in SG can repair it. BMW EV model, you will cry with no tears!
Of course this will drop when the UIOs of EVs increases, similarly back 20 yrs ago when hybrids were introduced in SG.

Hold back 4- 5 yrs on buying EVs, personally.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As usual, chatted with some workshops yesterday that does hybrids and EVs. Most of them are equipping themselves for this EV thingy.
One thing i concluded, govt is gonna press on this Go - Green plan, good for the environment. Doing up the chraging infra ASAP.
On the other hand, govt aren't aware of the repair cost. Make sure deep pockets if wana keep driving EVs that are out of warranty.
From the workshop mgr:
For example: A set of new batteries for a Nissan Leaf cost $12k. At this moment, no one in SG can repair it. BMW EV model, you will cry with no tears!
Of course this will drop when the UIOs of EVs increases, similarly back 20 yrs ago when hybrids were introduced in SG.

Hold back 4- 5 yrs on buying EVs, personally.

Covered by insurance so it’s fine. Tesla launched their own insurance in California, the rate they are giving me is 1/3 the rate of other insurance companies. Hopefully they expand it to sg as well.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Covered by insurance so it’s fine. Tesla launched their own insurance in California, the rate they are giving me is 1/3 the rate of other insurance companies. Hopefully they expand it to sg as well.

Good... as i read thru the comment, seem you are waiting for your new ride here. Congrates. Hopes they would extend that into SG too. Else with all the savings, will be pass on for high insurance premium.

Keen to share more?

1. In the event of breakdown( touch wood) whats the support in SG?
2. Whats the insurance coverage on?

Have not read much about Telsa support in SG yet. Maybe there are.

Last edited:

final1

Master Member
Reaction score
Singapore Budget 2021 EV policy changes
Road tax formula change from 2022 for EVs.
30kW - 90kW band and 90kW - 230kW band now combined to be 30kW - 230kW. Formula will be that of the 30kW - 90kW.

ARF floor of $5,000 removed. That is all.

Unclear if it affects Tesla Model 3 which has a power rating of 239kW.
Based on 239kW, it should not. But, Minister in his speech specifically said it would reduce the annual road tax from $2,300 to $1,500 (excluding fixed petrol tax) for the Model 3. So, i feel ??????????

Mathematically, Minister is saying the Model 3 is 225kW instead of 239kW.
I will take it as right for now. Updated first page.

Last edited:

maggoth

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singapore Budget 2021 EV policy changes
Road tax formula change from 2022 for EVs.
30kW - 90kW band and 90kW - 230kW band now combined to be 30kW - 230kW. Formula will be that of the 30kW - 90kW.

ARF floor of $5,000 removed. That is all.

Unclear if it affects Tesla Model 3 which has a power rating of 239kW.
Based on 239kW, it should not. But, Minister in his speech specifically said it would reduce the annual road tax from $2,300 to $1,500 (excluding fixed petrol tax) for the Model 3. So, i feel ??????????

Mathematically, Minister is saying the Model 3 is 225kW instead of 239kW.
I will take it as right for now. Updated first page.

i also just read that piece of news and was puzzled as it contradicts LTA's initial road tax revision policy (to include the flat tax component) depicted below.

https://www.carbuyer.com.sg/**-content/uploads/2020/02/LTA-new-Road-Tax-EV-2020-2-.jpeg

final1

Master Member
Reaction score
i also just read that piece of news and was puzzled as it contradicts LTA's initial road tax revision policy (to include the flat tax component) depicted below.

https://www.carbuyer.com.sg/**-content/uploads/2020/02/LTA-new-Road-Tax-EV-2020-2-.jpeg

Minister was quoting figures excluding the fixed petrol tax ($200, $400, $700).
This part i still understand.

I wasnt talking about that.

I was talking about how he said Tesla Model 3's road tax will be reduced by this change in 2022 which implies the Model 3 is a <230kW car which as far as i know is not true because it is a 239kW car.

Last edited:

maggoth

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Minister was quoting figures excluding the fixed petrol tax ($200, $400, $700).
This part i still understand.

I wasnt talking about that.

I was talking about how he said Tesla Model 3's road tax will be reduced by this change in 2022 which implies the Model 3 is a <230kW car which as far as i know is not true because it is a 239kW car.

Hmm..to quote the article:

From Jan 1 next year, the road tax brackets for electric cars will be merged such that vehicles with a power rating of 90-230kW will pay the same road tax as those with a power rating of 30-90kW.

If "road tax brackets will be merged", I will understand it to be a single tax bracket meaning regardless of your power rating, there is only one tax tier. Perhaps, he just wanted to cite an example and pulled out two tiers (30 to 90 and 90 to 230) for comparison.

Going back to the flat road tax component which will be implemented progressively, does it mean this policy still applies?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.