Who is using stock red/back speaker cables for their mid/high end MM speakers

ISS

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
I got silver solder from states & they cost a bomb. Not worth it for MM speakers.

Silver cables will work well with dark sounding speakers. So it got its worth too.. likewise for silver coated copper cables.

Phil
One more thing, they work pretty well for tube amps too.

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AhHuat said:
i guess same length as the stock cables....
ur dirty job as in helping me buy the things and solder the things?

Yup.. plus testing to make sure that it works.

But if u want to cut cost best is to do it yourself. Or you can pay e shop owner to terminate for u.

Phil

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISS said:
Me not a monster cable believer. I prefer QED, Van Den Hul, Nordost and Kimber Kable. AFA also not bad.

I'm using VDH on my studio monitors... they're silver cables... IMO ..as expected.. the sound is ruined compared to Cable Talk UK made cables which i'm using ...

But the brands you mentioned most of them would be out of reach to normal consumers.

Pro audio refers to brands like - Cerwin Vega, Peavey, Crown just to name a few.

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISS said:
Whats pro audio? Never heard of that brand before?

DUH. I mean Professional Audio stuff.

Those industrial people don't go for fancy brand like QED, Nordost, Monster & etc. They use professional grade component. No bull**** high performance stuff.

Phil

bencheongcm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISS said:
Me not a monster cable believer. I prefer QED, Van Den Hul, Nordost and Kimber Kable. AFA also not bad.
any shop in SLS you recon to buy it from ?

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISS said:

Yes.. me too.. plus Monster Cable is a big bully in e market.

For all potential upgraders out there.. NEVER NEVER spend too much on accessories like cables because they can only improve to a certain extend. Plus its ridiculous to spend more than 20% on these stuff. Might as well upgrade to better speaker.

Here is where brand like Belden & etc gives e best bang of buck.

Phil

AhHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
Yup.. plus testing to make sure that it works.

But if u want to cut cost best is to do it yourself. Or you can pay e shop owner to terminate for u.

Phil
hmm...the problem is i dunno how to diy myself lol...
maybe u can help me do the things...
as for price , i dunno wat range is suitable le...

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AhHuat said:
hmm...the problem is i dunno how to diy myself lol...
maybe u can help me do the things...
as for price , i dunno wat range is suitable le...

Hehe.. heres where I come into the picture. I done my homework & got 10++ year experience in this area.

Phil

ISS

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
DUH. I mean Professional Audio stuff.

Those industrial people don't go for fancy brand like QED, Nordost, Monster & etc. They use professional grade component. No bull**** high performance stuff.

Phil
Oh IC. :s13: For something cheap and good, I will go for Belden.

ISS

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
Yes.. me too.. plus Monster Cable is a big bully in e market.

For all potential upgraders out there.. NEVER NEVER spend too much on accessories like cables because they can only improve to a certain extend. Plus its ridiculous to spend more than 20% on these stuff. Might as well upgrade to better speaker.

Here is where brand like Belden & etc gives e best bang of buck.

Phil
Fully agreed.No point spending too much on cables esp. for MM speakers. One more thing, just want to point ou that interconnects even more important. Having good speaker cables won't help if interconnects are crappy.

Vittra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested too if the difference is noticable after the switch.
Price vs Performance difference.

btw...i using supplied cables for my MW550 too.

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A rough estimate for a 5.1 speaker.

3 runs of 3m for Left, Center, Right & 2 runs of 5m for Surrounds.

19m x $4/m = $76
5 RCA x $3/pcs = $15

Total material cost will be $91

Phil

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISS said:
One more thing, just want to point ou that interconnects even more important. Having good speaker cables won't help if interconnects are crappy.

Here is where I disagree. Have you open up both stock interconnect & speaker wire? I did.. both sucks big time. Its basically multi-strand super thin copper wires.

To put things into perpective based on e above observation.. speaker wires does more damage to audio quality.

1. They are normally longer hence signal deteoriation is also higher too.

2. Interconnects carry low voltage while speaker cable is much higher. So the latter carry much higher current & those thin cables will result in higher resistance. Its like driving a 10 wheeler in a narrow country mud track.

Phil

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oracle00 said:
yo bro.. check ur pm

Replied.

For those interested PM me & I will assess on a case by case basis. Strictly no obligation.

Phil

Last edited:

XcoldstarX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my red and black cables not thick enuff...sometimes i listen halfway the right channel no sound becuz the wire come out from the socket....need a better quality and thicker cable

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
XcoldstarX said:
my red and black cables not thick enuff...sometimes i listen halfway the right channel no sound becuz the wire come out from the socket....need a better quality and thicker cable

If thickness is your problem. Just cut off e existing bare wire & strip off e jacket. Twist the new bear wire & u r done. But if u want quality then get new cables.

Phil

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MoOmUzik said:
below $100 count me in...... i am using the stock cable as well n know nuts on those wires n soldering connectors but wished to improve the quality of my speakers output but if got add in the DIY power connector in xtreme forum is best best :s13:

Har? What DIY power connector? U referring to DIY powercord is it? E material cost of a belden shielded powercord is around $2X for a 1m run.

Phil

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm more interested in interconnects as the positioning of my amp and cpu doesn't really allow for those off-the-shelves 1-1.5m ones. i need at least about 2m. so now my setup is decent enough except for the crappy 5m long interconnect dug out from my drawer which i bought from SLT years ago... :D

btw last time there was this very famous belden coaxial installation cable... forgot the number... got a pair diy-ed from someone... walao i almost flipped. from then on i'm really doubtful of diy-ed cables coz human factor is so prevalent (worksmanship) and probably the cable itself... i mean, it's an installation cable and if it was supposed to be so cheap and good, i dun understand why cable makers won't use it and pass it off as premium stuff.

btw yes, i do believe speaker cables make a slightly greater impact than interconnects, though the golden rule still applies... garbage in, garbage out. last time i was very "yim zhim" one... little little thing can hear the difference and will be bothered by it. now, also sian liao... dun really bother too much.

so phil, can recommend something for my interconnect? :)

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
weng said:
i'm more interested in interconnects as the positioning of my amp and cpu doesn't really allow for those off-the-shelves 1-1.5m ones. i need at least about 2m. so now my setup is decent enough except for the crappy 5m long interconnect dug out from my drawer which i bought from SLT years ago... :D

btw last time there was this very famous belden coaxial installation cable... forgot the number... got a pair diy-ed from someone... walao i almost flipped. from then on i'm really doubtful of diy-ed cables coz human factor is so prevalent (worksmanship) and probably the cable itself... i mean, it's an installation cable and if it was supposed to be so cheap and good, i dun understand why cable makers won't use it and pass it off as premium stuff.

btw yes, i do believe speaker cables make a slightly greater impact than interconnects, though the golden rule still applies... garbage in, garbage out. last time i was very "yim zhim" one... little little thing can hear the difference and will be bothered by it. now, also sian liao... dun really bother too much.

so phil, can recommend something for my interconnect? :)

MM I/C got 1 big fundamental problem which is why I didn't made mine. Remember both ends are those stereo pins which carries 2 channels? It is almost impossible to use coax cables since they r too thick to fit into e connector. Using those 4 cores multi-strand is more feasible in this case.

What is your budget? Maybe I can workout something for u.

I think u r referring to e so-called thousand dollar cable made from Belden 89259. Got a pair of those & they r pretty good. Very clean & tight but not fast enough compared to my Nordost blue heavens.

Phil

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.